Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon in Greece

Hi Everyone,
I am getting married next June and we are planning to go to Greece for our honeymoon. We will start in Athens for 3 nights. My fiance and I both love history and culture so very excited to spend some time there. After Athens we will spend 3 nights in Santorini. We then have 4 nights we want to spend on another island. I do not want to go to Mykonos. I want something less crowded and more traditional Greek. I've heard good things about Naxos and also Crete. If we do decide to stay in Crete, what area is best to base ourselves?
Thanks!

Re: Honeymoon in Greece

• I am going to Crete in a couple weeks. I will report back once I have some experience. :)
  • Yes! Please do and have a fantastic trip :)
  • I absolutely loved Naxos. It was an easy ferry ride from Santorini, full of empty beaches and delightful villages and the best food I had in Greece by far. 
  • Were the beaches empty or did they have chairs and beach bars? Is it possible to do a day trip to Mykonos from Naxos? I would like to see it without staying on it. I also heard the beaches in Naxos were some of the best in Greece. Where else did you go while in Greece?
  • Were the beaches empty or did they have chairs and beach bars? Is it possible to do a day trip to Mykonos from Naxos? I would like to see it without staying on it. I also heard the beaches in Naxos were some of the best in Greece. Where else did you go while in Greece?
    They had both- empty and chairs and bars. I'm not sure about a day trip to Mykonos, sorry. We also went to Santorini, which was spectacular, and spent a couple days in Athens. 
  • I've been to Greece many times - but I recently did what I considered the "starter trip" which included Santorini, Mykonos, Naxos, and Athens (in that order). Naxos, as @STARMOON44 mentioned is really lovely! Definitely the most relaxing and "Greek" feeling since it has the least tourists. There is wonderful sailing, beaching, and food. You can go to a restaurant and stay 6 hours watching the locals sing and dance. Really cool! Crete has more to do. Like, history and touring-wise, and is also humongous and has a lot of variety. I personally prefer Naxos. I pgot my history fix in Athens, and enjoyed the more authentic Greek culture in Naxos. You can't go wrong. It's just a matter of preference.

I don't think a daytrip from Mykonos to Naxos is optimal - it's about a 4 hour ferry ride. Mykonos is extremely pretty and if you spend your time in Mykonos Town rather than Paradise Beach, you don't really get that "spring break" type crowd, it's much more posh and cosmopolitan with great restaurants, stunning views, and fancy bars right on the water. If you want to see it, I recommend you stay 1 night, which is really all you need.

I did 4 hours in Mykonos and hung out on a beach. It was fantastic. Did it from Athens though.
  • edited August 2017
    I am half way through my trip and just left Crete.

We started in Rhodes and spent our first night in a small hotel before joining our friends at an AI, we should have stayed at the small hotel. Rhodes was very inexpensive with lots to see. The first day we spent in Old Town which you could spend a few days in. We rented a car the second day and drove around the whole island stopping at random beaches and historic castles. Rhodes felt like a giant beach and country town.

In Crete we stayed in Heraklion and it was nice to be in a city again. Awesome street art, cafes in parks, fantastic restaurants, friendly people. Everyone kept telling us the best beaches are on the south side of the island so we rented a car again. The drive was better than the beaches, imo. The beaches were nice but not so much better that I would consider it a must do. We did stop at THE BEST restaurant on the way home, everything was homemade and most everything came from the family farm but definitely locally. We went out every night and never paid more than 120€ for 7 people including lots of drinks.

In both Rhodes and Crete we went to a mix of beaches with chairs and more primitive ones. Most of the ones we went to had a Cafe though where we could have great food and beers.

We arrived in Santorini this morning via ferry. Everything already has been double the price of what it was in Rhodes and Crete. It is very pretty though. Hope this helps. :)

eta: two pictures from Rhodes. Random beach in a cove and the view from the Castle of Kritnia. 
  • So wonderful trip. Amazing!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards