Wedding Woes

Holiday Songs

edited December 2017 in Wedding Woes
Anyone have any faves?

Any they can't stand/handle {for whatever reason - you can state why if you'd like}

Both can be specific version.

I'll start.

Love: "Hallelujah" by Pentatonix

Nope: "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby {Holiday Inn}
- can't do it because my grampa loved that song and he passed around xmas time. Just hurts to hear.

Also love "Ode to Joy" by Beaker from Muppets.
If you aren't a fan of him, you'll hate it :')

Re: Holiday Songs

• I'm going to sound super Grinchy, but I pretty much dislike all holiday songs.  I'm sure there are some I dislike more than others.  But when trying to think of the ones I especially dislike, it all seems to fall into the same Ball of Ugh.  I think I've just gotten too tired of all of them over the years.

There are two exceptions that come to mind.  Funny enough, some of the refrain for both is in a foreign language.  So they aren't played as often and I can still tolerate hearing each one a few times a season:

• Mele Kalikimaka -- The title means Merry Christmas in Hawaiian.  It's a cute, upbeat song.  Plus, my family immigrated to HI in the later 1800's and my mom was born there.  So it's also a special song for me because I have family ties to the Islands.
    • Feliz Navidad -- The title means Merry Christmas in Spanish.  It's another upbeat song, that I haven't heard to death year after year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2017
    I still love Mariah sCarey's "All I want for Christmas is you".  Cliche.  Totally.  Funny story about that, last year in October (maybe Nov?) my friend and i were sitting in a bar and someone had this on the jukebox on replay.  We sat in the corner chair dancing and liplynching (edit: that was a typo but to funny to edit.  lip-syncing was the word I was obviously going for) and everyone was "them! I bet it was them!"
    Nope. We didn't do this. Just enjoying the song on someone else's dime.

nopes?  I dunno....nothing really comes to mind....

• @short+sassy I feel you. I'm not big on holiday songs either, but certain ones that aren't really Christmas-y I like better {hence "Hallelujah"}
    It's funny. I tried to listen to one radio station that is playing just xmas songs and I got a day and half before changing station. Twice I was like "Urg" out loud, then they played "Mr Grinch" .... it's like they know :')

@CharmedPam It'll be weird, but I'm not a fan! Other girls at an xmas party I was at were like "yay!" and sang along. I was just "urg *side eye*" lmfao
  • The entire "A Very Special Christmas" Album, volume 1

The Peanuts Christmas album

The instrumental album "December"

And there's another Christmas CD my parent's have that I love.  I can't remember the name of it.  I really need to borrow and upload it. 

• banana468 said:
    Anyone have any faves?

Any they can't stand/handle {for whatever reason - you can state why if you'd like}

I'll start.

- can't do it because my grampa loved that song and he passed around xmas time. Just hurts to hear.

HALLELUJAH IS NOT A CHRISTMAS SONG!   IT IS A SONG THAT MANY CAN FIND BEAUTIFUL, LOVELY AND SPECIAL BUT IT IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN A CHRISTMAS SONG!

Ode to Joy is great.   It's one of my favorite Muppet videos but again, not a Christmas song.   It's at least Classical with plenty of versions tied to Christianity.  

OK, I'll stop yelling.   

Personal peeve: I love music - but I don't like it when non Christmas songs are suddenly played as Christmas songs:   Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, My Favorite Things by Rodgers and Hammerstein, I'm looking at YOU. 

My favorite Christmas songs depend on my mood.   An a cappella version of Carol of the Bells is up there.   While not a Christmas song, I love the Schubert Ave Maria. 

Loop hole, I put Holiday songs ;) For the reason of those songs lol

Have you heard "Carol of the Bells" instrumental? I have zero idea who does it, but one of my friends LOVES that version.
  • @mrsconn23 Who does "December" ? Never heard of it. I know Linkin Park has a song "My December" but I'm pretty sure not the same :')
  • I still love Mariah sCarey's "All I want for Christmas is you".  Cliche.  Totally.  Funny story about that, last year in October (maybe Nov?) my friend and i were sitting in a bar and someone had this on the jukebox on replay.  We sat in the corner chair dancing and liplynching and everyone was "them! I bet it was them!"
    Nope. We didn't do this. Just enjoying the song on someone else's dime.

nopes?  I dunno....nothing really comes to mind....

Oh!  I do like that one also.  Though it doesn't have to be Mariah Carey singing it.

Another one I like that is also more in a pop style is "Santa, Baby".  My H LOVES that song.  He thinks it's sexy ;).  Plus, how could I not love a song that sings about wanting a convertible and a platinum mine, lol?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2017
    @mrsconn23 Who does "December" ? Never heard of it. I know Linkin Park has a song "My December" but I'm pretty sure not the same :')
    George Winston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5qGUhWPi6w

ETA: It's seriously the most soothing thing to listen to with the TV off and just the tree on and sitting in front of the fire.  
  • Love:
    Mele Kalikimaka (my mom was born in HI and my cousins live there)
    Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack
    This Christmas by Donny Hathaway
    Anything sung by Louis Armstrong or Frank Sinatra/Michael Buble

Also not a Christmas song, but it gives me all the feels this time of year: My Favorite Things by The Supremes

Nope Nope Nope:
    All I Want for Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey
    Baby It's Cold Outside
  • I hate holiday music. Carryover from working retail in high school and college over the holidays.
    Spending 10 minutes in the cafeteria to grab lunch was making me stabby because they have holiday music on repeat.
    The *only* time I will tolerate holiday music is on Christmas Eve when we drive around and look at lights - and even then I get annoyed after like 30-45 minutes and turn something else on.
  • @mrsconn23 Ooh I need to remember to listen later! I enjoy soothing songs

@sparklepants41 you and my grampa would have loved talking music. He was a big Louis Armstrong fan {"What a Wonderful World" we played at his funeral} and he was starting to listen to Michael Buble also {"well at least there's SOMEONE that could be like the rat pack" - exact words}

@*Barbie* Ahhh retail holiday PTSD is what I refer to that as ;) I feel you. I swear, it gets earlier and earlier every year!
    M laughs because it was November 1st and we were at a store, Christmas crap was out already. I walked around grabbing things singing "What's This?" from Nightmare Before Christmas :')
  • @mrsconn23 Ooh I need to remember to listen later! I enjoy soothing songs

@sparklepants41 you and my grampa would have loved talking music. He was a big Louis Armstrong fan {"What a Wonderful World" we played at his funeral} and he was starting to listen to Michael Buble also {"well at least there's SOMEONE that could be like the rat pack" - exact words}

@*Barbie* Ahhh retail holiday PTSD is what I refer to that as ;) I feel you. I swear, it gets earlier and earlier every year!
    M laughs because it was November 1st and we were at a store, Christmas crap was out already. I walked around grabbing things singing "What's This?" from Nightmare Before Christmas :')
    ah yes, I just bought his CD this year. It's been out since 2011.  Where was I 6 years ago?

• I love George Winston's December and Jon Schmidt Christmas albums.  I also like the Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas albums.

I don't like when artists do a version of a Christmas song that makes it almost unrecognizable. 

I like:
    "Where Are You Christmas" sung by Faith Hill 
    "Celebrate Me Home" Kenny Logins

I don't like:
    "The Christmas Shoes" or whatever the name of that song is ::ick!::

• banana468 said:
    Anyone have any faves?

I'll start.

HALLELUJAH IS NOT A CHRISTMAS SONG!   IT IS A SONG THAT MANY CAN FIND BEAUTIFUL, LOVELY AND SPECIAL BUT IT IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN A CHRISTMAS SONG!

Ode to Joy is great.   It's one of my favorite Muppet videos but again, not a Christmas song.   It's at least Classical with plenty of versions tied to Christianity.  

OK, I'll stop yelling.   

Personal peeve: I love music - but I don't like it when non Christmas songs are suddenly played as Christmas songs:   Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, My Favorite Things by Rodgers and Hammerstein, I'm looking at YOU. 

My favorite Christmas songs depend on my mood.   An a cappella version of Carol of the Bells is up there.   While not a Christmas song, I love the Schubert Ave Maria. 

Have you heard "Carol of the Bells" instrumental? I have zero idea who does it, but one of my friends LOVES that version.
    They aren't holiday songs though.   Both are great but they're not holiday songs.   They're....songs.   And Pentatonix has great marketing. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Anyone have any faves?

I'll start.

OK, I'll stop yelling.   

They aren't holiday songs though.   Both are great but they're not holiday songs.   They're....songs.   And Pentatonix has great marketing. 
    Maybe it's the area, but here "Hallelujah" the radio classifies it as holiday song and pretty much only puts it on regular rotation at this time of year. So I just associate it as a 'holiday song'
    "Ode to Joy" was also a song I learned in elementary school as a holiday song. So both might just be the way I was taught them
  • All songs from White Christmas count as Christmas music in this house, including Blue Skies.

I am also like Grandpa Kitty Danger and prefer the classic crooners of any song over newer music.

There is one amazing version of the Drummer Boy that I heard once and could never find again, but that is my most disliked song.
  • All songs from White Christmas count as Christmas music in this house, including Blue Skies.

I am also like Grandpa Kitty Danger and prefer the classic crooners of any song over newer music.

There is one amazing version of the Drummer Boy that I heard once and could never find again, but that is my most disliked song.
    Giggling over this because ironically he's the one who called me Kitten often :P  
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Anyone have any faves?

I'll start.

OK, I'll stop yelling.   

Maybe it's the area, but here "Hallelujah" the radio classifies it as holiday song and pretty much only puts it on regular rotation at this time of year. So I just associate it as a 'holiday song'
    "Ode to Joy" was also a song I learned in elementary school as a holiday song. So both might just be the way I was taught them
    Yeah - the reason that the radio plays Hallelujah this time of year is because artists add it to their Holiday albums.   And then they either release those songs as singles or the radio stations just know what gets good air play.   You're right that the stations only play them at this time of the year but I wince that they do that.   It's music marketing and the thought that a song with the word Hallelujah = Christmas.    We also incorrectly play the Hallelujah chorus as a Christmas song.   It celebrates Christ but it's from Handel's Messiah and is part of Part II concluding with the Passion of Christ.     It's certainly Christian and you could definitely argue that it's a holiday song.....but it's the holiday associated with bunnies that lay eggs. 

Ode To Joy was composed by Beethoven.   If you've sung the "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" it's certainly Christian but not really specifically Christmas related anymore than Panis Angelicus or Ave Maria are holiday songs.   They get radio air time during this time of the year and they're beautiful but fall into the Classical category.   You could hear them sung in a Church during times that are definitely not Christmas.   
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2017
    Andrea Bocelli and Mariah Carey’s Christmas albums are my favorites, along with that medley Trans Siberian Orchestra does.  My favorite songs are Away In a Manger and Silent Night (both religious  :# sorry!)

I don’t like “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas” 

ETA:  I LOVE Bruce Springsteen’s “Santa clause is coming to town”
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Anyone have any faves?

I'll start.

OK, I'll stop yelling.   

Yeah - the reason that the radio plays Hallelujah this time of year is because artists add it to their Holiday albums.   And then they either release those songs as singles or the radio stations just know what gets good air play.   You're right that the stations only play them at this time of the year but I wince that they do that.   It's music marketing and the thought that a song with the word Hallelujah = Christmas.    We also incorrectly play the Hallelujah chorus as a Christmas song.   It celebrates Christ but it's from Handel's Messiah and is part of Part II concluding with the Passion of Christ.     It's certainly Christian and you could definitely argue that it's a holiday song.....but it's the holiday associated with bunnies that lay eggs. 

Ode To Joy was composed by Beethoven.   If you've sung the "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" it's certainly Christian but not really specifically Christmas related anymore than Panis Angelicus or Ave Maria are holiday songs.   They get radio air time during this time of the year and they're beautiful but fall into the Classical category.   You could hear them sung in a Church during times that are definitely not Christmas.   
    I went to a public school, so that might be why I associate it with Christmas also. Someone who visits church regularly probably doesn't.

Ahh the joys of different things during the holidays. Like the classic "Is Die Hard a Christmas movie" 
  • I love Baby It’s Cold Outside and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. 

Can’t stand Grandma Got Run over by a reindeer or Do They Know it’s Christmas. 
  • I love off beat and not usually heard Christmas songs.

I have Christmas albums from Squirrel Nut Zippers, Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffett, and the Muppets with John Denver (what a pairing!).  Weezer also has some good takes on Christmas music, which they used to offer as a free download from their website.

I love Someday at Christmas (Stevie Wonder and also covered by Jack Johnson), Mele Kalikimaka, Heat Miser, Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses, Hanukkah Song by Adam Sandler, I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, Baby Please Come Home (U2 & Bon Jovi versions), Jingle Bell Rock (Hall & Oates preferred!), Funky Funky Christmas by NKOTB, Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC and Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You by SR-71.

I don't like the Jesus Shoes or whatever it is song.  While I generally love all Christmas music, there is no need to hear it 24/7 from Thanksgiving on.  Mix it in, but no 24/7, maybe the last full week before Christmas.  There are just only so many songs that will actually be played on the radio for Christmas.  I actually stopped listening to my normal radio station because they switch to all Christmas. 

• I have a crush on Seth Macfarlane and have really enjoyed his Christmas album.   When I want an upbeat Christmas selection I often head to the crooners although The Carpenters and some classics are really beautiful too.  Makes me long for my teenage years in my HS choir. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    The entire "A Very Special Christmas" Album, volume 1

The Peanuts Christmas album

The instrumental album "December"

And there's another Christmas CD my parent's have that I love.  I can't remember the name of it.  I really need to borrow and upload it. 

YES TO THE "A VERY SPECIAL CHRISTMAS." I've been playing it on my Spotify since last week. In fact I think I'll play it again. 

And yes @MNNEBride - Christmas shoes is the worst. Closely followed Same Old Lang Syne (Dan Folgelberg), and the Cat Carol. 
  • @STARMOON44 Do you mean the updated version, or any version of "do they know it's christmas" ? Because I like the song, but I prefer '84 version vs updated one.
  • @MRDCle I'm torn about Cat's Carol. I like it because it's touching but it's also super fucking heart breaking! {random fact: woman who sang it is now a man, learned that last Christmas}
  • @MRDCle I'm torn about Cat's Carol. I like it because it's touching but it's also super fucking heart breaking! {random fact: woman who sang it is now a man, learned that last Christmas}
    It's touching and like, I may like to read it as a short story, but it's just TOO. SAD. for me to handle as a Christmas song.  
  • MRDCle said:
    @MRDCle I'm torn about Cat's Carol. I like it because it's touching but it's also super fucking heart breaking! {random fact: woman who sang it is now a man, learned that last Christmas}
    It's touching and like, I may like to read it as a short story, but it's just TOO. SAD. for me to handle as a Christmas song.  
    I didn't even think about a short story! I think it would be perfect as that!