Wedding Woes

Holiday Songs

2»

Re: Holiday Songs

• I love the Statler Brothers Christmas Card album. That is the only Christmas music I intentionally listen to every year. The bass singer gives me chills. I love Something You Can't Buy, The Carols Those Kids Used to Sing, and Christmas to Me, but the whole album is great. Funnily enough, I have never heard their non-Christmas music.

As for classics, my favorite is Do You Hear What I Hear? I also like Little Drummer Boy.
  • Every night I sing "Silent Night" to baby B. It started because when he was a baby it was Christmastime and all I could think of was Christmas songs to sign to him at bedtime so it carried throughout the year. Its dropped down to just 1 song since he's antsy at night.  And the fact that I'm asking for a Silent Night isn't lost on me hahahaha.
  • @kimmiinthemitten and @STARMOON44, Ah-ha!  You all dredged up two songs that I dislike more than the others.  Drummer Boy...though every once in awhile I'll hear a cool, very different version of it.  And the Grandma/Reindeer song.

I also especially can't stand the 12 Days of Christmas song.  Because it is a repetitive song for the season that is also repetitive in itself, lol.  However, I do enjoy reading lyrics for that song when someone has changed them up to match a theme or place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @banana468 we watch Die Hard every year at my parents.  We have matching sweaters and created a killer drinking game out of it. 
  • @banana468 that is an amazing opportunity! I did choir all through elementary school, and did vocal class in hs and we did classic christmas songs but our teachers tried to veer away from anything that was directly religious because we had a lot of mixed religions. If we did something Christian, we'd throw in something for the Jewish and another for another religion - I can't remember what now - but I think that was went a lot of people were being weird about religion in public schools.
  • MRDCle said:
    @banana468 we watch Die Hard every year at my parents.  We have matching sweaters and created a killer drinking game out of it. 
    My favourite part about this entire post is you have a drinking game with your parents :')
  • @STARMOON44 Do you mean the updated version, or any version of "do they know it's christmas" ? Because I like the song, but I prefer '84 version vs updated one.
    Any version! Who cares if they know it’s Christmas???? Not everyone has to celebrate Christmas. 
  • O Holy night - There’s a country singer version I love but I forget who. 

Mary Did You Know If sung well - best rendition was a Christmas Eve service at my parents old church years ago 

fun newer song: Christmas Can-Can
  • @MissKittyDanger, we definitely sang a mix of songs.   Because so many Classical (I'm going to put that in as the genre and not necessarily the time period) composers were also hired by the church, a lot of great music may be Christian but IMO, it's a disservice to omit Mozart and Beethoven or Schubert.    

• @banana468, you can count me in as one of the "wrong" ones, lol.  When people talk about Die Hard being a Christmas movie, I have a few seconds of, "Huh?  What?...Oh yeah, I vaguely remember it takes place at Christmas."  Just not something that ever stuck in my mind about that movie.

There's a commercial right now, I think Verizon, where Santa says that Die Hard is his favorite Christmas movie.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger, I love White Christmas because it was my Dad's favorite Christmas song and it reminds me of him every year! It was one of the first songs I learned to play on the piano ( a simplified version). 

I adore Christmas music - mostly the old school singers - Bing, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra. I do love Micheal Buble, Harry Connick Jr and am loving the Carpenters this year. I tear up whenever I hear Mary Did You Know.
  • H got us great seats to see Trans Siberian Orchestra this Saturday!  

Other favorites: Oh Holy Night, Carol of the Bells, Good King Wenceslas. 

Charlie Brown Christmas and The Muppet Family Christmas are the best Christmas movies and the soundtracks are amazing. 
  • H got us great seats to see Trans Siberian Orchestra this Saturday!  

Other favorites: Oh Holy Night, Carol of the Bells, Good King Wenceslas. 

Charlie Brown Christmas and The Muppet Family Christmas are the best Christmas movies and the soundtracks are amazing. 
    I like your taste in [Christmas] music.
  • Hands down is 6 White Boomers by Rolf Harris. I could listen to that on repeat all day long. 
  • True and potentially embarrassing confessions....

Silent Night Medley by Hanson
    Drummer Boy-Bing Crosby/David Bowie

Hark the Herald when played live with an incredible horn section.

Die Hard IS a Christmas movie!  Merry freaking Christmas!
  • I hate depressing holiday music, so the shoes song and the one song about the exes who meet in the parking lot and even Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer are not favorites of mine.

Despite disliking depressing music, I do like the slow, pretty carols, so a lot of the villancicos feel too fast for me, including Farolitos En El Cielo.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • MobKaz said:
    True and potentially embarrassing confessions....

Love that rendition of Drummer Boy! I remember seeing the Bing Crosby Christmas special when it was originally aired (dating myself once again!)
  • MobKaz said:

Love that rendition of Drummer Boy! I remember seeing the Bing Crosby Christmas special when it was originally aired (dating myself once again!)
    Adding that to my Spotify - totally forgot!

and @LadyCatherineDB the parking lot one is the Same Old Lang Syne I mentioned.  Ugh. So not Christmasy for me.
  • I love Oh Holy Night. It always makes me want to cry.
    We Three Kings- We used to sing it at my elementary school.
    Silent Night- By The Temptations
    What Do the Lonely Do At Christmas- My fav ol' school song.

• I seriously am loving the variety of tunes everyone likes! :) A lot of commonality {ie; classics} but some variations of classics

Also shout out to @mrsconn23 for adding to my winter-y mix :) Love that song you suggested.
  • #disme

Like Barbie, too many years in retail and specifically in music stores.  At Blockbuster Music, for the 5 CD spinner (ah, old school tech), 3 CDs had to be Christmas and 2 CDs had to be out of the top 20.  Oh, but couldn't be parental advisory, which really put it down to about 10ish choices.  And of those 10, TransSiberian Orchestra and Mariah Carey always made a showing around Christmas.  It was pretty miserable at times.
  • MRDCle said:
    MobKaz said:

Adding that to my Spotify - totally forgot!

and @LadyCatherineDB the parking lot one is the Same Old Lang Syne I mentioned.  Ugh. So not Christmasy for me.
    One that I love that I can NEVER remember the title is Christmas Canon by TSO!
  • UGH - I had never heard "Cat's Carol" so I googled.  Please add that to my do not play list!
  • MNNEBride said:
    UGH - I had never heard "Cat's Carol" so I googled.  Please add that to my do not play list!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I was pretty sure I hadn't heard it either.  I don't even want to Google it, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MNNEBride said:
    UGH - I had never heard "Cat's Carol" so I googled.  Please add that to my do not play list!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I was pretty sure I hadn't heard it either.  I don't even want to Google it, lol.
    It's heart wrenching with a vague mix of heart warming.
  • O Holy Night is definitely my favorite. I love to sing, and I enjoy the challenge of singing that one! 

Least favorite would have to be Last Christmas. I can't stand that song. Nothing gets me to change the radio station faster.