Attire & Accessories Forum

Has anyone successfully sold their dress?

I'm currently dress shopping. I don't have a specific budget, but would like to keep costs on the lower side. Of course I'm falling in love with dresses that are significantly more than I want to spend. I've always thought I would sell my dress, but now I'm looking at it as a way of potentially defraying the cost a more expensive dress. So has anyone actually sold their dress? Were you able to do it relatively quickly? What percentage of original cost did you end up with?

Re: Has anyone successfully sold their dress?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    If there is a special dress you love that is NOT Maggie Sottero or from David's Bridal, try calling Pearl's Place in New Orleans and ask their price.  You will need the style number and your measurements.  They sell only authentic gowns at a discount.  As with most bridal shops, all sales are final.  You can always sell it later.

We bought from them five years ago, and were amazed at the savings.

http://pearlsplace.com/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    I'm currently dress shopping. I don't have a specific budget, but would like to keep costs on the lower side. Of course I'm falling in love with dresses that are significantly more than I want to spend. I've always thought I would sell my dress, but now I'm looking at it as a way of potentially defraying the cost a more expensive dress. So has anyone actually sold their dress? Were you able to do it relatively quickly? What percentage of original cost did you end up with?
    Additionally, you can't choose a dress based on a photo.  They look completely different on you than in the photo-shopped pictures.  You really need to go to a bridal shop and try dresses on in person if you haven't done that yet.  My daughter was disappointed at what she was sure would be her dream dress, and chose something completely different that looked much better on her.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don’t think you could charge much more than 50-60% of the the original cost. It will be tailored to fit your body so it won’t be an option for someone taller or much larger. 
  • If I were buying a used dress online that I knew was tailored to fit someone else and worn I would expect a 75% discount, maybe more depending on the style. I don't think you should count on selling your dress to offset spending more than you think you should on one. 
  • I got married almost 4 years ago now. Tried to sell my dress in two different cities (we moved) via Kijiji and local FB wedding groups. I only had one person contact me to try it on and unfortunately it did not fit her :(.

Dress is still hanging in my closet.

My dress was not super expensive to begin with, and I listed it at 45% of the original price. So quite cheap for a wedding dress, and it was in excellent condition and a nice dress. But no takers!

I wouldn't count on trying to sell your dress as a way to offset buying a more expensive dress.

I really wanted an all-over lace dress (and I still swoon over them) but they are ALL more than I wanted to spend on a wedding dress. I found a dress at DB that was of a similar style to a Maggie Sottero dress that I also really liked where I knew I could get for a cheaper price (at DB) due to the material. Would I say it was my dream dress? No. But it is still a gorgeous dress and I looked great in it- no regrets! Your wedding is one day. Do you really want to blow your budget on a dress you'll wear once? I get it- you'll have the pictures forever, but you will look beautiful and like a bride in many dresses.
  • Being divorced, I was happy to sell my dress and did it pretty quickly on a facebook group. I got only 50% of its original worth since obviously it was tailored to fit the bride. But it felt good to sell it to such a sweet girl so I didn't mind that I didn't sell for more. I also sold my wedding ring using worthy.com