Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Can't believe that Jones won!  Gives me hope that there are people out there who think pedophiles should stay out of Congress!

Last night was good. We didn't do much.  Just lounged and watched some TV until DD went to bed.  Then we went to work cleaning up a bit in the kitchen.  We got rid of excess clutter on the kitchen table and took somethings down into the basement.  I also ironed on some new tags for DDs clothes that will go to daycare.

Today, I have yoga after work.  I was able to get a crock pot meal started.  It is a beer braised beef stew.  Hoping for a good outcome with it!

Re: Wednesday

• Beef braised stew sounds so good! If it turns out, share the recipe! 

Finals today. I had to call off work which is terrible timing considering I’m trying to convince my boss to let me go per diem. But they scheduled me on a known school day and no one could cover, so that’s what they get. I just feel bad for my coworkers. I don’t like calling off. 

Anyone else feel like December is flying by yet they aren’t in the holiday spirit? It just doesn’t feel like Christmas to me. 

• The fact that Moore almost won, still concerns me, but points where it's deserved *applauding*

Took 2hrs to get into work yesterday. 2hrs to get home.
    Guess who has a sinus cold and can't take shit .... *points to self* Fucking pregnancy sometimes.
    I have saline spray, which pharmacist suggested to at least break up some of the crap up there.
    I can still take regular tylenol for fever and if I get aches. :(
    Also discovered that we're out of Vick's Vapo Rub last night. I think what happened is that it was close to or already expired when we moved, and just tossed it.

I don't use it often, but now seems I'll have to build up our medicine cabinet of stuff I guess .... damn time of year.

I have spent a good chunk of the morning wrapping stuff for families. We're helping out 7 families this year as a "giving back" thing. Some of these families really need it, and it's good we're helping people in our city too :) 
  • I worked until 2:30am last night and got up again for work early. Huge project deadline tomorrow is kicking my ass. And I have to go to a cocktail party to pick up a donation.

BUT tomorrow night H and I are going out to dinner with his best friends and the ladies to a tasting dinner at one of my favorite restaurants that we haven't made it to since we've been back. And TSO on Saturday so I have lots to look forward to if I can just make it through tomorrow. 
  • Did you iron on tags with her name? Do you have to have their name on clothes or is it just something you are doing? 
  • @OliveOilsMom crock pot turns out 9/10 and sounds good :) I may try out something similar when I'm off over xmas
    You reminded me we have cleaning to still do .... damn clutter.
  • yes, that was STILL a close race! @oliveoilsmom, stew sounds good! it is Guinness? Guinness stew is really good - and I had just as good american Guinness stew as I have Ireland.  No need to travel for it ;)
    Sorry you got a sinus infection @misskittydanger, here's hoping it doesn't last long!
    2:30 a.m. @charlotte989875. holy crap! I'm a night owl and even then - nope!

I was working diligently on something this morning and then stopped.  Someone (not a customer of ours per say but its a consulting firm that can give us customers) sent me a list two weeks ago to verify addresses.  I told her she had old account  numbers on there and provided her a current list of account number and addresses and she'd have to match up them.  today she gives it back to me "you do it".  Yeah. OK.  I'll do it.  But I'll give it back to you at 3 if I feel like it.  Lazy ass. She's a consultant and not a customer, they have to do work too. 

Last night I had fro-yo for dinner.  yum!

VarunaTT's check in for nye got me thinking about my night.  I think we're going to book a hotel and get tickets for a comedy club near H's work and just hope he doesn't get called that night (his hours are cut so there's a 90% chance he wont).

• kvruns said:
    Did you iron on tags with her name? Do you have to have their name on clothes or is it just something you are doing? 

Daycare and the State require DDs name on everything.  The state requires her name on her bottle and bottle cap.  Daycare requires her name on all the extra clothes and things they have on hand for her.  So I bought, off Etsy, a pack of stickers and iron on labels to use for all of her stuff.   
  • @charlotte989875 jeez project! Let her sleep! Are you almost done?

@CharmedPam I'm basically treating it like someone who doesn't take meds {which suckssss} Fluids, rest, vitamin C, steam {like hot water + vicks then inhale} and saline spray. I just want meds :'( lol
    Wtf coworker .... I would have said "look, I gave it back partly because I don't have time. Can you just do it?" *snark snark snark*
    NYE for us is low key. We're doing movie and either dinner or buying a bunch of snacks to eat at home :)
  • @charlotte989875 jeez project! Let her sleep! Are you almost done?

@CharmedPam I'm basically treating it like someone who doesn't take meds {which suckssss} Fluids, rest, vitamin C, steam {like hot water + vicks then inhale} and saline spray. I just want meds :'( lol
    Wtf coworker .... I would have said "look, I gave it back partly because I don't have time. Can you just do it?" *snark snark snark*
    NYE for us is low key. We're doing movie and either dinner or buying a bunch of snacks to eat at home :)
    I gave it back to her thinking...man, you guys are so unorganized you have the old account numbers on there?  Your team GAVE US THE NEW ONES.  She can wait.  I'm knotting and planning my NYE ffs. 

• ....and I have students cheating in my exam. 
  • @charlotte989875 , is it happening now or are you grading papers clearly showing signs? 

Good news: Chiquito is on the mend and didn't even have a fever at the pedi's.   He's on ibuprofen and honey-based cough syrup and slept better last night.

Bad news: Chiquita had an incident on the bus with a kid last night who kept talking about vaginas, sex and went so far as to move his head towards her crotch while using his coat as a shield so the older kids wouldn't see it.

My poor kid came home feeling off, weird, and she knew it wasn't appropriate.   I went into Mama Bear mode and called the daycare provider (they ride the bus to and from the daycare) so she was in the loop and immediately emailed the teacher.   By 10 AM I had a call from the principal telling me about what's going on and that's she's handling this.   In the meantime this child is in her class and they'll be kept as separate as possible.

I want to hold her and squeeze her and tell her that she was SO good at speaking up and doing the right thing.   

• banana468 said:
    @charlotte989875 , is it happening now or are you grading papers clearly showing signs? 

Good news: Chiquito is on the mend and didn't even have a fever at the pedi's.   He's on ibuprofen and honey-based cough syrup and slept better last night.

Bad news: Chiquita had an incident on the bus with a kid last night who kept talking about vaginas, sex and went so far as to move his head towards her crotch while using his coat as a shield so the older kids wouldn't see it.

My poor kid came home feeling off, weird, and she knew it wasn't appropriate.   I went into Mama Bear mode and called the daycare provider (they ride the bus to and from the daycare) so she was in the loop and immediately emailed the teacher.   By 10 AM I had a call from the principal telling me about what's going on and that's she's handling this.   In the meantime this child is in her class and they'll be kept as separate as possible.

I want to hold her and squeeze her and tell her that she was SO good at speaking up and doing the right thing.   

as a mother, that's got to be SO hard to hear, I'm so glad she talked to you about it and it can be resolved. Sorry she had to go through that though. 

• Banana - I want to be in Mama Bear mode for you!  That is horrible!  I am glad that your daughter knew that it was wrong.  I hope the school follows through and takes this very seriously.

Charmed - It actually calls for light beer.  It was a preseasoned kit I got from Aldi, I just had to add veggies, beef stock, beer, and garlic/salt/pepper.  I have had Guinness stew and it is yummy!

• banana468 said:
    @charlotte989875 , is it happening now or are you grading papers clearly showing signs? 

It was right in the exam, I caught her.
  • Agree on being very proud of her for speaking up. That is sad that it already is happening this young. How old is she? 
  • banana468 said:
    @CharmedPam this has made me on the verge of tears.   I hate that I can't protect my kid all the time but I'm SO PROUD of her for talking.   I just hope I can always be the mom my kids can talk to.

@charlotte989875 , I hope your student's holidays are fantastic with an F.
    Yup. That's going to be a big zero on the test and an F in the class. This isn't a new policy either, she knew what she was doing was cheating. 

What grinds my gears even more than the cheating is this acting like I'm not going to catch it or that I'm too stupid to figure it out. Please.  
  • kvruns said:
    Agree on being very proud of her for speaking up. That is sad that it already is happening this young. How old is she? 
    Seven.   She turned 7 10 days ago. 
  • @banana468 Kudos to Chiquita speaking up! I can't imagine how you felt. I would go all Mama Bear also. WTF KID! Give her extra hugs from all of us!

@charlotte989875 tis the season to be failing - fa la la la la
  • Oh banana I'm so sorry.  Give her lots of snuggles and be sure to tell her what a GREAT job she did speaking up and telling.  I'd also make sure she knows that you are taking action. 

I'm feeling burnt out. Like so burnt out I want to cry. 

• @OliveOilsMom, When I read this morning about Moore losing, I had to control the urge to jump up from my desk, punch my fist straight up into the air, and yell, "Yes!!!"  As for your stew, you had me at "beer".

@levioosa, I feel exactly like you do this month.  Good luck on your finals!

@MissKittyDanger, your winter commute times sound horrible!  So much wasted time.  Especially when you're tired and not feeling well.  I hope the commute and your illness get better.  Just think, you will also be stocking up your medicine again BabyKitty is born.  With all the baby versions of OTC stuff.

@charlotte989875, uuuggghhh, I'm so sorry to hear how overworked you are this week.  And with students cheating on top of it.  I'm glad you have something to look forward to on Thurs. night.  A WELL deserved reward.

@CharmedPam, I love NYE, but my H just can't hang, so we don't go anywhere.  Oh well.  I live with it.  I'm glad you have your priorities straight with lazy consultant.

@banana468, I'm sorry to hear Chiquita was upset by what happened!  That was weird, off, and inappropriate behavior.  Even for a kid.  While I'm sure the vast majority of the time there are much more innocent explanations, I've heard that kind of language and behavior from a child can sometimes be a symptom of sexual abuse.  I'd hope someone at the school at least has their ear up for that possibility, when speaking with the boy.

This isn't something I've ever told anyone, not even my H.  But he and I went to a Mardi Gras parade a number of years ago with our mutual friend and her family.  The friend had brought their 12-year-old neighbor/babysitter with them.  That young lady was acting really odd and inappropriate with my H.  She would hug him and hang on him many times.  She plopped herself on his lap a couple times, to which he nicely made the excuse that he needed to stand up.  I mean, if that had been an adult woman, even my mellow and easy going self would have had words with her.

Out of nowhere, the thought crossed my mind that maybe she was being sexually abused.  Because of her behavior that seemed too sexualized for a pre-teen.  I quickly pushed the thought out of my mind and laughed at myself for being such an "alarmist" and watching too many crime shows.  It's been forever since I was in jr. high and I don't have any kids.  Maybe I don't know how pre-teens act nowadays.  I'm being silly and overly dramatic.

A year later, my friend told me the bad news that had just broken out in that family.  That girl's stepfather had been forcing her to perform oral sex on him for two years.  It was sickening and such a punch in the gut.  Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I'd done something?  But I wouldn't even know what.  I was a stranger with a suspicion not based on much (sigh).  I've always felt a little guilt, though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  at least when BabyKitten is born I can take a decongestant if I'm not breastfeeding ;)
    Commute always sucks in the winter, especially the first big storm/snow fall. That was just extensive than typical *side eye* and our transit system sucks.

As much as I totally get the "should I have said something?" deal, there was no way to know what was happening :( Sorry to hear about the girl though, not easy. Hopefully all is getting handled now.
  • There is something wrong with that kid.   There are other flags that I've seen and I can't tell if it's negligence or what.   He attends mass in our church with his mom but the examples of off behavior just strike me as majorly concerning. 
  • @banana468 who are you going to talk to about what happened?
  • Thanks @short+sassy, it's just frustrating on top of everything else I have this week. And it's more work for me now when they cheat. 
  • @banana468 who are you going to talk to about what happened?
    I already spoke to the daycare provider about it last night, emailed their teacher (they share the same teacher), and the school principal called me.  

This is the same kid who told Chiquita about yelling "Candy Man" and "Bloody Mary" in a mirror.   I don't think I'm a crazy over protective mother when I say that I don't think those movies are suitable for a 2nd grader.
  • @short+sassy  at least when BabyKitten is born I can take a decongestant if I'm not breastfeeding ;)
    Commute always sucks in the winter, especially the first big storm/snow fall. That was just extensive than typical *side eye* and our transit system sucks.

As much as I totally get the "should I have said something?" deal, there was no way to know what was happening :( Sorry to hear about the girl though, not easy. Hopefully all is getting handled now.

It actually happened over 10 years ago, so she would be an adult by now.  I hope she's doing well.  I lost touch with the friend who told me about it.  But he was arrested and (I think) got a plea deal, instead of going to trial.  I know he went to prison and that's where he was the last time I heard.  I don't remember for how long.  He might already be out, smh.

It came out when the daughter had one of her friends spend the night, and this guy groped the other girl's breasts when he caught her alone in the hallway for a minute (shudder).  She told the daughter what happened.  The daughter had never told anyone, but spilled out to her friend the abuse that had been going on.  The friend talked the daughter into both of them going to the school counselor on Monday and telling them what happened.  They did, the police were called, and the investigation rolled from there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    @banana468 who are you going to talk to about what happened?
    I already spoke to the daycare provider about it last night, emailed their teacher (they share the same teacher), and the school principal called me.  

This is the same kid who told Chiquita about yelling "Candy Man" and "Bloody Mary" in a mirror.   I don't think I'm a crazy over protective mother when I say that I don't think those movies are suitable for a 2nd grader.
    Oh good! Sounds like they'll take it seriously :)

Honestly, if it's were my kid, since it's the 2nd incident with the same kid I would personally talk to the mother. Hopefully no other kids are getting affected :\

It actually happened over 10 years ago, so she would be an adult by now.  I hope she's doing well.  I lost touch with the friend who told me about it.  But he was arrested and (I think) got a plea deal, instead of going to trial.  I know he went to prison and that's where he was the last time I heard.  I don't remember for how long.  He might already be out, smh.

It came out when the daughter had one of her friends spend the night, and this guy groped the other girl's breasts when he caught her alone in the hallway for a minute (shudder).  She told the daughter what happened.  The daughter had never told anyone, but spilled out to her friend the abuse that had been going on.  The friend talked the daughter into both of them going to the school counselor on Monday and telling them what happened.  They did, the police were called, and the investigation rolled from there.

Scary and sad :(

I'm not sure what the laws are, but recently I heard about a child abuse case of a former friend of mine's daughter that was 5yrs ago and she stepped up now.
    {there's a lot of red flags in the whole thing, but that's besides the point}
    ANYWAYS apparently he's in jail for 18 months, probation for 3yrs and not allowed contact with girl for 9 yrs {basically until she's 18/19yrs old}

So it may depend on the situation