Chit Chat

**SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

Re: **SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

• I can't believe Sophie still can't see that Kevin has a pill problem. Especially after he showed up blabbering nasty things on her doorstep! 

Is it just me or does it seem unrealistically fast for him to have this much of a pill problem??
  • I can't believe Sophie still can't see that Kevin has a pill problem. Especially after he showed up blabbering nasty things on her doorstep! 

Is it just me or does it seem unrealistically fast for him to have this much of a pill problem??
    I think he's had an issue before and never got help, so just got hooked again.

I figured Sophie would see it because she's in the medical field.

Although I do know for people who are genetically predisposed to addiction it can happen that fast, it feels rushed and even a bit forced to me too.

Technically, if he had a pill addiction in the past, he should never be drinking, but he has both seasons without a problem.  That would have been an easier storyline to turnover.
  • Kevin just keeps pissing me off 

Although I do know for people who are genetically predisposed to addiction it can happen that fast, it feels rushed and even a bit forced to me too.

Technically, if he had a pill addiction in the past, he should never be drinking, but he has both seasons without a problem.  That would have been an easier storyline to turnover.
    It does seem forced! It almost feels like an after-school special, or that episode of Saved By the Bell when Jesse Spano got hooked on caffeine pills. 

It does seem forced! It almost feels like an after-school special, or that episode of Saved By the Bell when Jesse Spano got hooked on caffeine pills. 
    At least with This is Us they'll continue the story line of Kevin, where as Saved by the Bell didn't even talk about it later ...
  • Did anyone else think that when Kevin woke up in that bed in last night's episode that it was going to be the bed of that girl - rather than the doctor he graduated with?

Also I'm so sad for Kate. Next week's episode is going to be so heartbreaking. 
  • YES I thought for sure it was going to be the HS girl!!

OMG on the ending with the Kate news. I will surely cry next episode
  • I feel bad for Kevin at the end. Finally ready to talk about it then unfortunately Kate has an issue .... he'll just push it down again :(

I saw preview of next ep. Damn that's gonna crush me!
  • edited November 2017
    I have had a TIU dry spell until Number Two. Damn you tears. And ugh I love Toby. 

I felt Randall was jipped on the preview/teaser though. 
  • This definitely makes me love Toby even more!
  • OMG I sat on my couch with a box of kleenex last night. Even H got into last night's episode. 
  • Ahh!!  We're finally caught up.  We just started watching about month ago (season 1 actually).  We're quite impressed so far.  I don't think there's been a bad episode yet.  

• Almost caught up.
    Kate's ep .... I was good - sad but ok - until she opened the door to her mum there.
    Then the waterworks happened.

I'm probably watching Randall's ep tonight. I already hear it's heart breaking :( but the actor confirmed that Kevin has hit rock bottom.
  • I was so bummed last night when I went to watch only to find out last week was the mid-season finale. I'm sad to have to wait until January for more episodes!!!
  • FYI!

Jan 9th it's back! :)
  • I caught up a bit over the long weekend, but still have 2-3 episodes to go.

I really liked that they've started showing glimpses of what the Big Three were like in their early 20's.  Up until that episode, it's almost always been present day or childhood.

I hate to say it, but I wasn't even that sad about the miscarriage.  Because, in a show that is usually full of surprises, I knew as soon as she found out she was pregnant that a miscarriage was in the cards.

That Toby!  He is always getting "best guy ever" points, lol.  That he went all the way to that shipping warehouse, wouldn't take "no" for an answer, and found the package with the baby tub.  Just to keep Kate from having one more reminder of the miscarriage.

Although I agree that Kevin's addiction seems a little forced and "fast forwarded", I do find it interesting that the show has continuously woven the problems with addiction into the storyline.

It starts obvious.  With Randall's parents.  But then you see the Jack's father and his alcohol addiction.  Then, just like father, Jack succumbs to addiction.  And now Kevin.

A touching point for me was the judge that sat down with William and ended up making such a difference in keeping him on the straight and narrow.  William picturing his face, every time he was tempted.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I loved the judge/William part and I agree the addiction feels forced (i think that is the description I've been searching for!). 
  • kvruns said:
    I loved the judge/William part and I agree the addiction feels forced (i think that is the description I've been searching for!). 

Not sure if Kevin's addiction feels forced, but I didn't find there was a lot of lead up to up.  In 2-3 episodes, we went from a flashback of Dad's addiction, to him looking at pills and saying he didn't want them to full blown addiction.  I assume it was there in the past with his football injury perhaps (or the makings of it), but I don't think they developed it well.  It just appeared suddenly

• Finally caught up!  I loved the Howard University / Vietnam Memorial scene.  I really appreciated they way they each approached the conversation about feeling as though they don't belong.

Kevin's addiction is pissing me off; probably because I'm struggling with my own detachment from an addicted loved one right now, but it still makes me angry.  I've been waiting for present-day Rebecca to go off!  I was like, you tell him, cocky little brat child!
  • i just watched last night's episode. I had to laugh at the thought of getting batteries at the mall since that isn't the place you would go for that nowadays

• kvruns said:
    i just watched last night's episode. I had to laugh at the thought of getting batteries at the mall since that isn't the place you would go for that nowadays

I know - where in the mall would you have gotten them? Radio Shack?

I'm wondering if maybe Rebecca remembers the batteries (which it turns out were for the smoke detector) and goes to get them and then returns to the house having burned down? 

But I still can't put my finger on why that would still make Kate blame herself as the reason Jack died. Unless she left a candle burning or something...
  • oh yea I forgot Kate blames herself. Maybe a candle or something like that or maybe the rest of them leave the house to get something for Kate but for whatever reason her dad doesn't join and then it happens. 
  • Kevin's addiction is pissing me off; probably because I'm struggling with my own detachment from an addicted loved one right now, but it still makes me angry.  I've been waiting for present-day Rebecca to go off!  I was like, you tell him, cocky little brat child!
    As much as I was happy for Rebecca to go off, there was a good chunk I disagreed with her reasoning.

My dad - as much as I loved him - had addiction problems. I knew from a young age that he had anxiety and depression, but I didn't know to what degree that put into the addiction. {alcohol was his vice}
    My mum explained about the situation, but as I grew older the more I understood.

Why didn't Rebecca talk about it? Oh right, she didn't wanna tarnish Jack. It's not like they knew he was going to pass away, so they should have known.
    Flip side, I also don't understand that statement. Kevin made a mention to Jack's "AA homework" in his episode and saw he was talking to his sponsor.
  • I feel like until they out-and-out say how he died and what happened, it's not going to make 100% sense why Kate blames herself
  • I feel like until they out-and-out say how he died and what happened, it's not going to make 100% sense why Kate blames herself

Before I'd caught up, I did a Google search on how Jack had died.  Thinking it had already been revealed.  I came across an article where one of the producers said something like they weren't going to reveal how Jack died for a long time (something like that).

Which I totally disagree with and think it is has now reached the point of being ridiculous.  I feel like the audience not knowing this information is now becoming an impediment to understanding the character developments, instead of enhancing them.  Don't get me wrong.  I realize the heavy character development is part of what makes the show great, which includes finding out more info of past experiences an episode at a time.

But because they're trying to keep it "a surprise", it's making conversations...where that would naturally be included...odd.  Like in the family therapy session. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Before I'd caught up, I did a Google search on how Jack had died.  Thinking it had already been revealed.  I came across an article where one of the producers said something like they weren't going to reveal how Jack died for a long time (something like that).

Which I totally disagree with and think it is has now reached the point of being ridiculous.  I feel like the audience not knowing this information is now becoming an impediment to understanding the character developments, instead of enhancing them.  Don't get me wrong.  I realize the heavy character development is part of what makes the show great, which includes finding out more info of past experiences an episode at a time.

But because they're trying to keep it "a surprise", it's making conversations...where that would naturally be included...odd.  Like in the family therapy session. 

Dammit! I heard at the end of last season they weren't going to stretch it! Fackkkkkkkk

Dammit! I heard at the end of last season they weren't going to stretch it! Fackkkkkkkk

Hopefully he is just trying to mess with the viewers of the show, lol.

I would say they make it sound like we'll finally know the truth in the next episode.  But they've done that before, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Hopefully he is just trying to mess with the viewers of the show, lol.

I would say they make it sound like we'll finally know the truth in the next episode.  But they've done that before, lol.

They built it up that the season finale would show it. All they've done is basically show there was a fire, and faulty breakers {could be related but idk}

Damn you producers! First you make a great show then you're fucking with the audience about main character's death!