Destination Weddings Discussions

St Thomas Wedding Cancelled after Hurricane

My fiancé and I got engaged in May and planned our dream wedding at the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas for Sept '18. After the hurricanes hit, we rescheduled with the resort for Oct '18 to allow the time they needed for remodeling. We kept our hopes high, but we were told that the resort would be closed until at least 2019 and the wedding was canceled altogether :( we have ties to Florida and have toured resorts there but it's just not the same. 

We are having ~75 people and loved the destination/vacation feel of St Thomas. I'm still looking for a resort where people can come for an affordable vacation and preferably hosts 1 wedding at a time. I loved that the ballroom opened to a view of the beach giving it a true destination feel-not like a conference room. We are coming from NYC and open to other easily accessible destinations. 

I know it's unfair to compare other resorts to our first choice, but I would love suggestions for other hotels to consider. Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: St Thomas Wedding Cancelled after Hurricane

• I know! It was almost too good to be true!
    Thanks for the recommendations with the other islands. I have looked online at the Ritz Carlton in Aruba and Grand Caymen. They both look beautiful but it hard to tell through brochures. Do you have experience from your previous job to make comparisons at either location? 
  • I know! It was almost too good to be true!
    Thanks for the recommendations with the other islands. I have looked online at the Ritz Carlton in Aruba and Grand Caymen. They both look beautiful but it hard to tell through brochures. Do you have experience from your previous job to make comparisons at either location? 
    I haven't been to either property, but have former co-workers who worked at both properties.   They had great things to say about both.      

Aruba might be a little less expensive than Cayman.  They have a bunch of Marriotts down there.  So more options for your guests.

Also, while nothing is guaranteed, Aruba is just outside of the typical hurricane zone.   Don't put down your guard, as they have had hurricanes, but they get a lot less than other areas.    Basically, buy insurance.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The Ringling Museum in Sarasota, FL...