Honeymoon Discussions

Highland Honeymoon- Scotland!

Well, we just said "I Do" last weekend, which means I now officially have time to start planning the honeymoon!

The general plan right now is to go 2018- probably April or May, for about 8 days (plus the flight days). We're looking to avoid the real touristy season, while still getting optimal weather and scenery. 

We'll rent a car, so we have more freedom, and are hoping to travel around most of the country. Places we'd like to visit:
-Edinburgh
-Loch Ness
-Isle of Mull (and maybe Fingal's Cave??)
-Isle of Skye
-Atleast one Brewery Tour
-Various Castles along our route (Edinburgh, Eilean Donan, maybe more?)
-Glasgow if we have time

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions, recommendations, or advice for our trip? Good routes, must-see sites, how to save money, best times to visit, etc? Whether you've been there, live there, or just know a lot about traveling and how to save money overseas, I'm open to any knowledge people wanna share!

Also: For anyone still planning a wedding, we personally got this Chase credit card that accumulates points you can use for flights and hotels. If you spend enough in the first few months, you get a ton of bonus points. Basically, we just put all our wedding expenses on this card, so paying for the wedding actually helped us save for the honeymoon! 

Re: Highland Honeymoon- Scotland!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2017
    Are you sure you want to drive on the left?  This can be frightening for Americans and Canadians. 

I would definitely put Inverness on your list.  Paging @ScottishSarah .

In general, the UK is more expensive than the USA.  Petrol costs are much higher, too, so be sure and budget for this.  Check out  https://www.tripadvisor.com/for hotel information, prices, and suggestions.  There is also Rick Steves Scotland  for tips on saving money.  https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Scotland/dp/1612389783/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1612389783&pd_rd_r=J43AQDN7S41V5TKSR682&pd_rd_w=Ov6ty&pd_rd_wg=J8z5x&psc=1&refRID=J43AQDN7S41V5TKSR682

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Hello Sarah!  Congratulations on your recent marriage!  

I live in Edinburgh and April/May is a perfect time to visit.  It can rain all year round here anyway so it's smart to avoid the pricey and overcrowded peak of the season.

Renting a car is a great choice if you really want explore the west and north, some areas are pretty remote and you can drive and drive without seeing a soul.  On that same note the train along the east coast has fabulous views and is such a relaxing journey.  (Book in advance using the Trainline app to potentially get first class for the same price as standard). 

I would base in Edinburgh, there is so much to see and the city is vibrant with a great restaurant and bar scene.  You can do your own thing with a hire car or trains, or there are small tour groups doing day trips and beyond to the west, north and islands.  If you have the budget book a 'blue badge guide' for a private tour.  These guys are incredible.  

Any questions just fire away.  
  • Driving on the left isn't hard! You just need to focus on it. 

I havent been here but this is my dream hotel:

http://www.kyleskuhotel.co.uk/
  • I went a few years back and I LOVED the Isle of Skye. It was my favourite part of the trip. Also did Edinburgh, very cool! We basically based in Glasgow, as we have family there, and drove around. Driving through the Highlands was also spectacular. 
  • Isle of Skye is beautiful. Truthfully, there's nothing too crazy about Loch Ness, other than the myth. I would probably focus on other areas. Edinburgh is a lot of fun. Man....just thinking about Scotland makes me so jealous. It's beautiful! I can't wait to go back. 

• Edinburgh is one of my most favourite cities. Definitely do a ghost tour there. I also did a long day through the Highlands. There are lots of hiking opportunities up there if you're interested in that too. 

• Well, we just said "I Do" last weekend, which means I now officially have time to start planning the honeymoon!
    I know this is a late reply but seeing as your trip isn't til next spring I figured you may still be in the planning stages.

I went to Scotland earlier this year and April was a lovely time to visit! The countryside was teeming with yellow shrubbery. I flew into Inverness and did a one-day tour of the Isle of Skye through a company called Rabbies (small group in a very comfortable mini-coach). I was quite glad not to have to drive for this myself because the roads were very narrow & winding through the hills, and tourists would be stopped at random spots to take photos. I think it'd be easier to enjoy the beautiful scenery without having to worry about any of that.

Renting a car shouldn't be a problem in general though, as long as one person can be dedicated to reading the map so that the driver can focus on being on the "wrong" side of the road!
  • I suggest you buy 'Lonely Planet' and design the trip according to the book. It was very useful when we were in Croatia.