Wedding Woes

Wednesday!!

That's a way excited title for a pretty boring and quiet day.  ;)  At least it's sunny. 

There is drama afoot in my local mom group that's keeping things interesting for me. :D 

Work is quiet since most of management is out and a lot of people in general aren't around.  I did find out that I got every day off next year I asked for except for 1 that had to be wait-listed.  Wahoo.  

I legit have 2 more items to get and I will be done with Christmas shopping.  I also have a little project to do for one gift and wrapping to finish up. 

What's up for your hump day?

Re: Wednesday!!

• yay for being done (almost). I'm picking up the stocking stuffers tonight and some work gifts and will be done too. 

I was bummed about not getting next Christmas off, so we booked a Caribbean cruise for next January last night.  PR, DR and USVI.  Won't give us Christmas off, H's company? Take that! 

Last night I stayed up till 1:07 to watch Star Wars, Last Jedi with H (ok I fell asleep twice through it).  I want Wife of the Year award because I had a pounding headache, BAD acid reflux and it was a work night. Aside from the movie being boring AF for me, it was really hot in there and the longest 2.5 hours of my life.  I'm not getting those hours back.

• @mrsconn23 Ooh drama! sometimes that's kinda interesting lmfao

You know those nights you're thinking of how much you have to do .... then do nothing?
    That was last night.
    I really need to throw laundry in. I preemptively brought down the basket so it'd be ready to go .... nope.

Dinner I had taken out wasn't thawed either, so M didn't eat {they had a catered lunch} and I made grilled cheese.

Tonight is now super busy.
    We have groceries to do.
    M has to do Angel's claws and the litter box.
    I need a shower but I also need to throw laundry in.
    Attempt number to on editing a video .... sometimes the program I use is a bit of a pain in the butt ... guh
    Side note: added a few boy names on our list, but with the middle name we want is so complicated. Girl name just easier lol

Tomorrow we're going to see the new Star Wars :) M is pretty excited and I'm curious how it plays out. I've read a few theories {and spoilers} but it doesn't really explain much. I'm just wondering where Rey fits into this world.

Friday we're going to a different mall than typical cuz we're getting my aunt and uncle a hickory farms set, and our local malls down have the kiosk this year.
    Still need to pick up MIL's gift, but we may have to change what we're doing as I cannot find what I want. I'm thinking it's sold out, and I don't have time to go to the main store.
  • I really just need this week to be over.  I feel like crap and my energy level is at an all time low.  I probably need to get into the OB or the doctor, but getting a PCP right now is a bitch.  last time I called, it was a 6 month wait.  I also think it's just my period, but I haven't had one this bad in a long time.  It's a half day Friday, so I'm holding onto that.

Other than that, SSDD.
  • I really need today to be a quiet work day so I can jam on the gift wrapping. 

If you see my updates, we'll have to see what's going on for my IL drama.   I"m beyond pissed at BIL but I'm playing the "We hope to see you if you can make amends" line.  

• My cat loves this time of year. There are so many boxes and ribbons and wrapping paper everywhere. She's super zoomy and on high alert. LOL!
    With us clearing stuff out and having the tree decorated-ish now, Penny's the same :')

She played punching bag with one ornament last night lol!
  • @mrsconn23, congrats on getting almost all your days off!

@CharmedPam, Caribbean cruise booked!  Oh yeah!  My jealousy runneth over, lol.

@MissKittyDanger, I've used my new air fryer twice to make a grilled cheese sandwich.  I love Hickory Farms.  If you don't want to go as far, Target carries HF this time of year, though it is only a few sets to choose from.  At least they do where I live.

I woke up with a really bad headache.  It's slightly better now, but not by much.  I thought about calling off, but I have some important items to get done.  I might be able to get away with leaving at lunch, if it isn't better by then.

I put in my request for vacation time this week and next.  I decided I am going to take this Friday off.  So, 5-day weekend!  I've been feeling a bit crappy all week and think I just need some extra rest and relaxation. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23, congrats on getting almost all your days off!

@CharmedPam, Caribbean cruise booked!  Oh yeah!  My jealousy runneth over, lol.

@MissKittyDanger, I've used my new air fryer twice to make a grilled cheese sandwich.  I love Hickory Farms.  If you don't want to go as far, Target carries HF this time of year, though it is only a few sets to choose from.  At least they do where I live.

I woke up with a really bad headache.  It's slightly better now, but not by much.  I thought about calling off, but I have some important items to get done.  I might be able to get away with leaving at lunch, if it isn't better by then.

I put in my request for vacation time this week and next.  I decided I am going to take this Friday off.  So, 5-day weekend!  I've been feeling a bit crappy all week and think I just need some extra rest and relaxation. 

Yes, and i went to share the link to my friend and the price went up $144 overnight!  I know when to book.  It's still a great rate so I do believe I got a fantastic rate on it.  I put in Jan/Feb 2019 as my months, and then sorted them by ship rating.  Couldn't afford any of the 6 star's, that;s for sure but I found a nice 5.5 star ship that has a good itinerary and great rate and promos.  BOOK!

What have you cooked in your air fryer? I cooked taquitos which were yum! and my favorite thing is chicken tenders.  My  mom loves her fries in there, but I've never done fresh cut fries.

Awesome for a 5 day weekend!  Our office will be so slow next week.  3 day work week!

• @short+sassy  I just use a frying pan. What's an air fryer!?
    Also .... we don't have Target *sobs* Usually our local mall has the HF kiosks but they've cut back this year. WTF!
  • Ugh, family.

Short version: my Mom is making everyone feel bad because Christmas traditions are changing and they can't "be like they always were" and rather than focusing on the fact that we're all going to be together, she's pissed that we're not have Christmas at her house, she's pissed my sister hasn't taken the baby to see all sorts of extended family, and she's pissed that she can't have everything her way. 

Why can't people (read: my mother) focus on what is really important here which is that we will all be together?!
  • I'm home today, so I really need to clean up the house. It's 58 degrees inside and I'm freezing, but we're also trying to save money so we're not turning on the heater unless it gets even colder.

Otherwise, SSDD. 

• @short+sassy  I just use a frying pan. What's an air fryer!?
    Also .... we don't have Target *sobs* Usually our local mall has the HF kiosks but they've cut back this year. WTF!

An air fryer is the countertop kitchen appliance that I have apparently been missing out on for my entire life, lol.

A basic one (just an air fryer) fries food with no or little oil.

But my H and I went with the Cuisinart version.  Which is an air fryer, convection bake, convection broil, toaster, bake, broil, warm device...all in one!  Amazon is currently out of stock, but here is what it looks like and a description:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOA60-Toaster-Flipper-Cookbook/dp/B071DR6T8S

@CharmedPam, we just got it a couple weeks ago and haven't done much yet.  But I have so many ideas!  In fact, a number of the items we cooked in it are already fried frozen foods.  Like cheese sticks and fried clams.  Doesn't do as much, health-wise, but the food comes out beautifully.  Perfect and crisp.  Faster and even better than an oven, imho.

The grilled cheese sandwich is easy.  Butter the outsides of the bread pieces.  Slap some cheese in between.  Cook at 370 for 3-4 minutes/per side.  Ooey-gooey cheesy goodness!  With the outside of the bread pieces evenly and nicely crisped.

We haven't done taquitos and fries yet, but they are on the list.  In fact, taquitos was one of the first things I thought of.  I can make them so much better myself than the frozen varieties, but never had any faith in my frying skills.  At least before now!

I haven't done homemade fried chicken yet either, but you know that is on the list!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    I'm home today, so I really need to clean up the house. It's 58 degrees inside and I'm freezing, but we're also trying to save money so we're not turning on the heater unless it gets even colder.

Otherwise, SSDD. 

I don't know if the investment would be worth the savings on electricity, but you all might want to look at getting a space heater.  There are a bunch of choices on Amazon for under $30.  Wal-mart has a $10 one with good reviews, but it is currently "unavailable".

The smaller, cheaper ones typically won't heat up a whole room.  But they will make their immediate vicinity a lot warmer.  Like near a couch or bed.  Match that up with wearing warm clothes and staying under a blanket, and a space heater can help you all last with some temps that you'd normally turn the heat on for.

You're taking me back in time, lol.  After Hurricane Katrina, the gas lines had flooded.  Our house had no heat or hot water for that first winter.  Temps were down in the 30s and 40s on many days.  Space heaters were all we had!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    I'm home today, so I really need to clean up the house. It's 58 degrees inside and I'm freezing, but we're also trying to save money so we're not turning on the heater unless it gets even colder.

Otherwise, SSDD. 

I don't know if the investment would be worth the savings on electricity, but you all might want to look at getting a space heater.  There are a bunch of choices on Amazon for under $30.  Wal-mart has a $10 one with good reviews, but it is currently "unavailable".

The smaller, cheaper ones typically won't heat up a whole room.  But they will make their immediate vicinity a lot warmer.  Like near a couch or bed.  Match that up with wearing warm clothes and staying under a blanket, and a space heater can help you all last with some temps that you'd normally turn the heat on for.

You're taking me back in time, lol.  After Hurricane Katrina, the gas lines had flooded.  Our house had no heat or hot water for that first winter.  Temps were down in the 30s and 40s on many days.  Space heaters were all we had!

Thanks! =) We have a space heater, but I've been trying not to run it too much because our electricity is ridiculously expensive. I used it after my shower last night and just sat on the floor in front of it while we watched a movie. lol. I told SO to prepare himself, because we have company over this weekend and we definitely need to run the whole house heater for them. 

• I saw Star Wars last night and I thought it was very well done.  Some things probably could have been edited out to make it a bit shorter, but overall, it was a great movie.  Every time I saw Carrie Fisher, my heart hurt though.  I also arrived at the theatre an hour early.  I swear my brother told me 705, but it was actually 740.  Also, each time I saw Snope, my mind when to Trump.  They looked so much alike!  Especially since Trump has been getting worn down by trying to be POTUS. 

Yoga tonight after work.  Then home for dinner and I will try to do something more around the house.  I have off Friday, but don't want to be scrambling like a mad woman clearing or preparing for my 3 holiday dinners.  I did get a few more things put away this morning and wrapped my last gift.

The lunch special at a favorite place is a grilled cheese that incorporates their delicious meatloaf and mac n cheese.  So that is going in my belly at lunch!

DD has gotten a bit more congested and we called the nurse's line to see if we needed to come back in.  They said no, so we are continuing to wait out the virus.  I did some googling and found a baby's cough & mucus syrup.  H is picking it up at lunch, so I'm hoping its as effective as the reviews state.  I just want her well enough for her Santa visit and holiday festivities! 

• levioosa said:
    levioosa said:

Otherwise, SSDD. 

Thanks! =) We have a space heater, but I've been trying not to run it too much because our electricity is ridiculously expensive. I used it after my shower last night and just sat on the floor in front of it while we watched a movie. lol. I told SO to prepare himself, because we have company over this weekend and we definitely need to run the whole house heater for them. 

True!  They do still use some electricity.  It is just substantially less than a HVAC unit.  Energy costs are outrageous where I live also, especially in the summer.  Here are my two biggest tips, you're probably aware of one or both, but I'm including them jic:

• I've never tried it, but one energy saving tip I've read in a number of places is to keep things unplugged.  They are called Energy Vampires because they use a "phantom load", even when they are not in use.  According to the article, it is estimated they take up approx. a month's worth of energy per year.  Here is an article from the Energy.gov website about it:

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/articles/vampire-power-scary-all-year-round

• By far, the biggest users of energy are large appliances and an HVAC system.  I don't know that there is much you can do about your fridge (the worst offender).  But, whenever possible, only run full loads for your dishwasher (or hand wash) and washer/dryer.
    • Contrary to popular belief, turning lights on/off really doesn't make much difference.  The energy they use is negligible.  A single lightbulb running for 24 hours costs around 5 cents.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @OliveOilsMom We're going tomorrow. I've heard some good reviews, and I'm still curious about Rey's family past. Do they touch on it at all?
  • edited December 2017
    Fun fact:

you will give the same reaction when someone says "good job!" as you do when you get complimented.

More so when you've done a 'good job' on something you have messed up in the past.

happy rabbit GIF
  • I found a listicle article and read it with dread.  It is the Most/Least Healthiest States.  The determinations for ranking came from obesity, cardiovascular deaths, and uninsured rates.  In the wording, they also talk about states in terms of their poverty rates, educational levels, and "healthy habits", ie number of smokers.  No surprise here, but the wealthier and/or better educated a person is, the healthier they tend to be.

Interesting, though not surprising.  The two healthiest states have state programs/laws that give the vast majority of its citizens access to more and better healthcare options.  That would be 1) Hawaii and 2) Mass.  Though one could certainly understand other reasons that factor into Hawaiians scoring at the top.  In fact, they have for the last 5 years.

Most of the states in the Northeast/New England were in the top 10.  The "best" Southern state was North Carolina at #32.  Yep.  NO Southern state was even in the top half.

My own Louisiana came in at #49 and has the highest obesity rate in the country. Believe it or not, that is an improvement from being dead last in 2016.  This year, MS is #50.  Us and MS...always battling for the bottom, smh.  I'd like to say it's because our food is so tempting and kick a**, lol.  But we also rank poorly with poverty rates, educational levels, and uninsured numbers.  The real reasons (sigh).

For anyone interested, here is the link:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/the-most-and-least-healthy-states-a-survey-of-all-50/ss-AAlBNpj?ocid=ientp#image=50

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy regarding “energy vampires,” when I lived in London, every outlet had a switch to turn power on and off, so if you weren’t using the switch you just flipped it to “off,” but then you didn’t have to keep plugging and unplugging loose wires. I wish we did that here. 

• I feel like I've been running a mile a minute since Thanksgiving.  I finished Christmas shopping TODAY.  I need to put 2 pairs of socks in 2 gifts bags and I am done WRAPPING.  Tonight is the LAST of the Christmas parties.  I have 90% of the food for Christmas day.  My neighbor gifts have been delivered.  I feel like I can actually take a breath.

Max is done with preschool for break and the other two get done tomorrow.  They've got a SUPER short break and go back the 3!  I kind of wish it was longer so we could just relax more. 

• @OliveOilsMom We're going tomorrow. I've heard some good reviews, and I'm still curious about Rey's family past. Do they touch on it at all?

Yes they do touch on her family past in a few different scenes, but there is no definitive Jane and John Doe are your parents type of answer.  They may be saving that for episode 9?

I will say there were a lot of kick ass women in charge and leading with confidence in their plans.

Supposedly Princes William and Harry had cameos, but I missed them.  I think they were First Order troopers, but I forgot which scene they were going to be in.  I tried to stay away from any and all spoilers!  I'm also happy to say that the one spoiler I accidentally read was actually wrong!  So I was totally surprised by all of the plot twists and turns!

Yes they do touch on her family past in a few different scenes, but there is no definitive Jane and John Doe are your parents type of answer.  They may be saving that for episode 9?

I will say there were a lot of kick ass women in charge and leading with confidence in their plans.

Supposedly Princes William and Harry had cameos, but I missed them.  I think they were First Order troopers, but I forgot which scene they were going to be in.  I tried to stay away from any and all spoilers!  I'm also happy to say that the one spoiler I accidentally read was actually wrong!  So I was totally surprised by all of the plot twists and turns!

I heard the same.

Damn, I hope they say it in ep 9 because that's the official end.

Also .... have you read the theories about Jar Jar Binks and the Sith?
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2017

I saw Star Wars last night and I thought it was very well done.  Some things probably could have been edited out to make it a bit shorter, but overall, it was a great movie.  Every time I saw Carrie Fisher, my heart hurt though.  I also arrived at the theatre an hour early.  I swear my brother told me 705, but it was actually 740.  Also, each time I saw Snope, my mind when to Trump.  They looked so much alike!  Especially since Trump has been getting worn down by trying to be POTUS. 

Yoga tonight after work.  Then home for dinner and I will try to do something more around the house.  I have off Friday, but don't want to be scrambling like a mad woman clearing or preparing for my 3 holiday dinners.  I did get a few more things put away this morning and wrapped my last gift.

The lunch special at a favorite place is a grilled cheese that incorporates their delicious meatloaf and mac n cheese.  So that is going in my belly at lunch!

DD has gotten a bit more congested and we called the nurse's line to see if we needed to come back in.  They said no, so we are continuing to wait out the virus.  I did some googling and found a baby's cough & mucus syrup.  H is picking it up at lunch, so I'm hoping its as effective as the reviews state.  I just want her well enough for her Santa visit and holiday festivities! 

What is the brand?  DS had a cough for a few weeks but our doctor said no cough syrup at all until 6 years old.  Does she have a humidifier in her room?  That might help too.

I heard the same.

Damn, I hope they say it in ep 9 because that's the official end.

Also .... have you read the theories about Jar Jar Binks and the Sith?
    YAAAAY. It's ending?  I wont have to be dragged to go anymore? 

@short+sassy, yo DO have kick ass food.  My friend, whom I went to NOLA with 2 years ago and I had dinner and we had whiskey donuts she's like "I need to go to New Orleans again" and I'm like "yeah.  It's pretty kick ass there".

• It's been a crazy day. Just running through to say hi! 

• levioosa said:
    @short+sassy regarding “energy vampires,” when I lived in London, every outlet had a switch to turn power on and off, so if you weren’t using the switch you just flipped it to “off,” but then you didn’t have to keep plugging and unplugging loose wires. I wish we did that here. 
    We have those here too. I should remember to switch them off more often.

It is “freezing” here. I am shivering, bundled in sweatshirts and long socks (window open of course). I would have sworn it was in the 50s.... it is 23C which I know is chilly (my friend from London says that is beach weather) but I needed a reference point so I converted it. I was SHOCKED by what it was.
    72*F. 

Tomorrow is the solstice. I should do *something* for it but I am just not prepared. Next Year! (I say every year ;) )
  • @kaos16 The brand is Zarabee.  They specifically make a formula for babies that is from 2 mo+.  It does not contain honey (though your DS should be allowed honey now).  From my searches it was available at Target, CVS and Walgreens, at least. 

MKD - I have seen the Jar Jar Binks and Sith theories before, but I think he was just a bumbling idiot that George Lucas added for young viewers.  And didn't realize that non-kid viewers would hate Jar Jar!

I have also been reading my spoiler websites.  The Princes' cameos were cut from the film...

• Tomorrow is the solstice. I should do *something* for it but I am just not prepared. Next Year! (I say every year ;) )
    We're celebrating both the Solstice and Christmas.  I'm hoping to leave early, and then go home to decorate a solstice cake, do a ritual and H and I will be exchanging gifts with each other.  Before my parents come and they have to watch us open them.  fun!

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2017
    levioosa said:
    @short+sassy regarding “energy vampires,” when I lived in London, every outlet had a switch to turn power on and off, so if you weren’t using the switch you just flipped it to “off,” but then you didn’t have to keep plugging and unplugging loose wires. I wish we did that here. 

That would be fantastic!  I don't want to even think about the ENORMOUS amount of energy that would be saved if it were that much easier to "slay the vampires".

@CharmedPam, I've never heard of whiskey donuts!  I did a quick Google search and, alas, came up with naught for NOLA on that subject.  I'll keep my eye out.  I also missed out on apple cider donuts when I was in Boston last year.  I had so many people tell me to try one.  But the only place I found them was in a coffee shop in Salem, but they were out :(.

There was a Trivial Pursuit question that claimed NOLA consumes twice the national average, per capita, for mayo.  But I think a fatal flaw to that statistic is that we're obviously a big tourist destination...but a medium sized city...and we get about 8x our population in tourists every year.  Thoouugghhh...we sure do like mayo on our poboy sandwiches, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker