Wedding Woes

Wednesday!!

2»

Re: Wednesday!!

• @OliveOilsMom George Lucas has come out and said {after getting Jar Jar backlash} that he's important to the overall plot .... I liked him, so idk.

WHY WOULD YOU CUT ROYALTY!? YOU WOULD NOT CUT PRINCESS GENERAL LEIA!
  • levioosa said:
    @short+sassy regarding “energy vampires,” when I lived in London, every outlet had a switch to turn power on and off, so if you weren’t using the switch you just flipped it to “off,” but then you didn’t have to keep plugging and unplugging loose wires. I wish we did that here. 
    We have those here too. I should remember to switch them off more often.

It is “freezing” here. I am shivering, bundled in sweatshirts and long socks (window open of course). I would have sworn it was in the 50s.... it is 23C which I know is chilly (my friend from London says that is beach weather) but I needed a reference point so I converted it. I was SHOCKED by what it was.
    72*F. 

Tomorrow is the solstice. I should do *something* for it but I am just not prepared. Next Year! (I say every year ;) )
    Yep. At 23*C people wear shorts and depending when it happens, yes it is beach weather :P Mid-July or August, that is a beautiful day lol
  • edited December 2017
    @MissKittyDanger I have definitely accumulated to the desert. Even in summer, I keep the thermostat at 26-27, anything less will have me running for a jumper.

eta: ftr the thermostat only goes up to 28
  • @missJeanLouise at least with a desert it's a dry heat. Where I am it's quite often humid and thick heat.
  • I have my AC running right now. It was ~80 yesterday, and somewhere in the 70s today. 
  • levioosa said:
    @short+sassy regarding “energy vampires,” when I lived in London, every outlet had a switch to turn power on and off, so if you weren’t using the switch you just flipped it to “off,” but then you didn’t have to keep plugging and unplugging loose wires. I wish we did that here. 

That would be fantastic!  I don't want to even think about the ENORMOUS amount of energy that would be saved if it were that much easier to "slay the vampires".

@CharmedPam, I've never heard of whiskey donuts!  I did a quick Google search and, alas, came up with naught for NOLA on that subject.  I'll keep my eye out.  I also missed out on apple cider donuts when I was in Boston last year.  I had so many people tell me to try one.  But the only place I found them was in a coffee shop in Salem, but they were out :(.

There was a Trivial Pursuit question that claimed NOLA consumes twice the national average, per capita, for mayo.  But I think a fatal flaw to that statistic is that we're obviously a big tourist destination...but a medium sized city...and we get about 8x our population in tourists every year.  Thoouugghhh...we sure do like mayo on our poboy sandwiches, lol.

oh, yeah, I think she was just associating the donuts we had there to the good food we had in NOLA.  apple cider donuts are good too.  These whiskey donuts would not be so good if they were sitting out.  You need them fresh and I think it's fried in a whisky oil. they're fantastic. caloric.  But fantastic.
    Never thought about the cities who boast about consuming stuff.  You gotta factor in all the tourists..so it's hard to say "Chicagoans consume_____ every year" when we get enough tourists too.

• @missJeanLouise at least with a desert it's a dry heat. Where I am it's quite often humid and thick heat.
    If only that were true. Being a desert has to do with precipitation, which we get very little of, but we are also next to the gulf which  means high, high humidity.
    I HAAaaaate a dry heat so much more though. It just feels like an oven, my skin gets so dry and I will get respiratory problems.  So this is fine with me, lol.
    If only that were true. Being a desert has to do with precipitation, which we get very little of, but we are also next to the gulf which  means high, high humidity.
    I HAAaaaate a dry heat so much more though. It just feels like an oven, my skin gets so dry and I will get respiratory problems.  So this is fine with me, lol.
    You'd hate it where I am lol if we don't get a thunderstorm, the humidity just sticks {literally} around until it does. One year we got so little rain, it was deadly! Thick heat also causes respiratory problems :(
  • levioosa said:

That would be fantastic!  I don't want to even think about the ENORMOUS amount of energy that would be saved if it were that much easier to "slay the vampires".

@CharmedPam, I've never heard of whiskey donuts!  I did a quick Google search and, alas, came up with naught for NOLA on that subject.  I'll keep my eye out.  I also missed out on apple cider donuts when I was in Boston last year.  I had so many people tell me to try one.  But the only place I found them was in a coffee shop in Salem, but they were out :(.

There was a Trivial Pursuit question that claimed NOLA consumes twice the national average, per capita, for mayo.  But I think a fatal flaw to that statistic is that we're obviously a big tourist destination...but a medium sized city...and we get about 8x our population in tourists every year.  Thoouugghhh...we sure do like mayo on our poboy sandwiches, lol.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, isn't NOLA 

known for its love of remoulade too?

• kaos16 said:
    levioosa said:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, isn't NOLA 

known for its love of remoulade too?

Not ignorant at all!  You are spot on.

Shrimp remoulade is a classic appetizer that this region is famous for.  Lots of restaurants here serve it, but Arnaud's (on Bourbon St.) is the restaurant that first popularized remoulade sauce in the U.S.

You can even buy bottles of Arnaud's remoulade sauce in grocery stores here.

An easy, simple, and unbelievably delicious recipe:

• Cook up about 1/4 lb. of fresh shrimp in Cajun seasonings (or any preferred seasonings)
    • Put in the fridge long enough to chill 
    • Halve one avocado, take out the seed
    • Scoop the shrimp into the holes of the avocado for the two halves
    • Slather the shrimp with remoulade sauce*.

I've never made remoulade sauce.  I just buy the bottles of Arnaud's, lol.  But there are recipes online, if your local groceries doesn't sell remoulade sauce.  You'll find it in glass jars in the aisle with marinades, salad dressings, etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker