Attire & Accessories Forum

Dream Dress, Nightmare Price

I realize I'm a little dramatic with the "nightmare price" but I am a penny pincher!!

I LOVE this Berta dress but the price tag is not in my budget. I mostly am obsessed with the top of it, (I don't know what this style is called but somewhat see through around the ribs with sequin/bling), the bottom I'm open to but I want ballgown or this overskirt style. I would love to find something similar at a lower price, around 2,500 would be ideal!!

For more of an idea of things that have caught my eye- I love Bertas dresses, Calla Blanche, Some Hayley Paige (not crazy about the tiered skirts though), and Pnina.

Does anyone know of a similar style dress at a lower price? 

Re: Dream Dress, Nightmare Price

• I don't know of one specifically, but you could just google "see through wedding dress with sequins" and see what pops up.
    *********************************************************************************

• Here's one from David's that's around $800. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_strapless-wedding-dress-with-tulle-slit-skirt-swg764_all-wedding-dresses

This one is from Kleinfeld's and is about the top of your budget. https://www.kleinfeldbridal.com/product/randy-fenoli-trendy-ball-gown-wedding-dress-r3402/

I found these by going on the sites and then filtering by strapless and ball gown and a-line and, if possible, by blinginess or further depending upon the options. This took me less than 15 minutes to find these two. 
  • the first one that @lovesclimbing posted is so pretty and much classier looking than the original one, in my opinion.
  • First one is nice! I wish Klienfelds was near me, lots of dresses seem exclusive to them :/ Yeah I've been googling, haven't found "the one" yet though
  • LOL yeah I wouldn't go for a see through bottom, the top is what I really love. Very true I think i'll just have to try some on 
  • Also, am I crazy or can you totally see that woman's pubic hair in that dress?
    Yea, I kind of noticed that too. I know that type of dress is popular with celebrities nowadays, but usually they cover a bit more than that!

OP, you should stop looking at dresses over your price range! It does no good to find the "dream dress" if it's triple the top end of what you're willing to pay, not including alterations. This brand, from what I saw in googling, retails for at least $8,000 new. 

Have you tried secondhand sites? Oncewed.com and preownedweddingdresses.com have several dresses from this brand, but I didn't see any of this particular dress. And even used, most of this brand are being sold for $1k-$2k over your price range. 

You might have to adjust your dream. You are not going to find an identical dress, and I doubt you'll find anything more similar to the dress than what I posted earlier. 
  • LOL yeah I wouldn't go for a see through bottom, the top is what I really love. Very true I think i'll just have to try some on 
    Yes please do this! I had my what I thought was ideal dress in mind, and ended up hating how it looked on my non-model body. I also ended up with a dress style I immediately omitted from all my searches because I thought I wouldn't look good in it. I thought I was going to look bad in every dress just because I wasn't open to trying on the right style for my body. You truly never know until you are physically trying them on.
  • justsie said:
    LOL yeah I wouldn't go for a see through bottom, the top is what I really love. Very true I think i'll just have to try some on 
    Yes please do this! I had my what I thought was ideal dress in mind, and ended up hating how it looked on my non-model body. I also ended up with a dress style I immediately omitted from all my searches because I thought I wouldn't look good in it. I thought I was going to look bad in every dress just because I wasn't open to trying on the right style for my body. You truly never know until you are physically trying them on.
    I am REALLY good at picking out what looks good on me and what I like without trying it on...but I missed the mark in a few places with dress shopping. I thought i would LOVE an all-lace dress. In fact, I did LOVE a bunch of all-lace dresses in photos, and on the hanger. But every one I put on made me look like a grandma in a doily. It was hideous. 

The dress I got is one that I had flipped by pics of about a thousand times on the internet...the way it was posed on the model always looked like a halter, and I did NOT want a halter. Turns out it wasn't a halter at all and was just weird model poses!
  • MandyMost said:
    justsie said:
    LOL yeah I wouldn't go for a see through bottom, the top is what I really love. Very true I think i'll just have to try some on 
    I am REALLY good at picking out what looks good on me and what I like without trying it on...but I missed the mark in a few places with dress shopping. I thought i would LOVE an all-lace dress. In fact, I did LOVE a bunch of all-lace dresses in photos, and on the hanger. But every one I put on made me look like a grandma in a doily. It was hideous. 

The dress I got is one that I had flipped by pics of about a thousand times on the internet...the way it was posed on the model always looked like a halter, and I did NOT want a halter. Turns out it wasn't a halter at all and was just weird model poses!

Oh my goodness, yes!  I was open to different dress styles.  But the one thing I absolutely, positively was not going to buy was a strapless dress, because I'm large chested and thought it would be the worst.

I let the salesperson talk me into trying one on.  I was 100% wrong, lol.  Overall, strapless dresses looked the best on me.  What I wasn't expecting is how solid and structured the bodice of a wedding gown is, as opposed to a more "everyday" strapless top or dress.  Which do look horrific on me, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry in advance for the NOVEL of a post but it's worth it!

I couldn't be happier that I found Anomalie & have been so thrilled with the process so far.   Some background (I've told this story so many times to curious folks over the last few months!) -  the founders are a husband and wife team who took their product development experience (w companies like Nike and Apple) and education (Harvard MBA's) to solve the problem of bridal boutiques and horrendously marked up dresses.   They offer fully custom gowns starting at just $800 (and I think they claim they cap their prices at a number that's below your budget)  and a 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE if you don't like it.  Production time is 3-4 months plus a month or so ahead of time to receive fabric samples and decide on lace and whatever other details.   

They have an online platform for brides to upload inspiration photos to their dashboard's 'lookbook'.   I, like you,  kiiiiiinda knew what I wanted, but was also kinda open, and also kinda wanted evvvvverything.  My stylist spent two hours on the phone with me over the course of two days (before ANY money is exchanged of course) looking over my inspiration photos and nailing down the look to move forward with.  After a few days their production team quotes a price, and the process moves forward once payment is made in full. 

I have a similar vision as you & ultimately narrowed down my inspiration to these two photos : 

The above photo for the torso (with some adjustments for the back and a different, more geometric lace) 
    This photo for the skirt. 

And they came back with this sketch (you don't get the sketch until after the process is underway):

And before approving I made this adjustment to the neckline (luckily I'm a graphic designer so it was easy for me to relay all these changes back and forth)

IN CONCLUSION:

I apologize if I made this way longer than it needed to be,  BUT OBVIOUSLY I'm really flipping excited to get my dream dress (for $1200!),  made to my measurements,  with total control over fabrics, lace placement, (they send you progress photos so you can adjust details as it's being made!)  etc etc etc. 

It is a bit nerve-wracking of course to not see it that far ahead of time, or have that 'I Said Yes to the Dress!' moment with your friends and family, etc..... but I had what I thought was that moment, like a few times... but there was always Some thing (price, some strange detail.... WHO WANTS THREE KEYHOLE OPENINGS ALONG THE BACK IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE STUFFING ME INTO THIS THING)   that made me hesitate.   Since reaching out to Anomalie and starting the process, however,  I was finally able to get SO excited knowing my dream dress was in good hands. 

Seriously.  Get your dress made by them.  You won't regret it.  GOOD LUCK! xox
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2017
    I'm glad that you are thrilled with the PROCESS of ordering your dress.  Please come back and tell us if you are equally thrilled with the PRODUCT that you receive.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wow!! Yes please update when you receive your dress I LOVE the idea of it!!