Wedding Woes

Last Wednesday of 2017

Who else is here today??  We probably should have made 1 post for this whole week!

Just two more work days for me.  I have a few small projects to keep me busy and then I also have to enter all my billable time for the month.  That will be what keeps me busy through tomorrow!

Last night was nice, first time I haven't cooked dinner in a few days! LOL!  DD is starting to get back to her schedule just in time to mess it up for NYE!  We aren't sure how late we will stay out, but we plan to bring the pack n play with us to the two places we go.  I imagine we will be home by midnight, but it will depend if DD will sleep for us.

I think I may go searching for some help letters to get us through to Prudie day tomorrow!

Re: Last Wednesday of 2017

• I'm in the office today after working from home yesterday. There are maybe 10-15 of us here (normally about 60). I think I might work from home the rest of the week because really, what's the point. I have a few things to get done today that I need some files but otherwise might as well be warm at home.

baby B is starting to transition to the older kid room at daycare. Normally they would be off the bottle and eating table food decently well but of course not my kid. Still wants the bottle and the only table food he likes is carbs (bread, puffs, crackers) and puree stuff. God forbid I make him chew anything aside from carbs - he will take it out of his mouth and put it back on the tray.  Sigh. 
  • @kvruns, yucky vegetables! nope! I agree

Speaking of vegetables, I had my pre op diet class.  I'll be WANTING vegetables by the time that rolls around (January 8th). It's basically a slimfast diet but with their own brand of shakes.

H and I had the worst meal we had in awhile at DMK burger or something like that - after my meeting, and then saw Jumanji last night.  It was a really cute movie.

• Heading to the airport to meet up with a college friend who had a long layover. It will be nice to catch up. I am feeling better today since I had a good night's sleep last night. Colds do suck - thanks for the good thoughts y'all. DD and SIL arrive tonight so we have Christmas with them the next few days. I can't wait to see if she has a baby(babies) bump yet!
  • I'm here.  I took PTO yesterday - got my driver's license renewed, shopped with my mom and got a hair cut.  Last night I met up with HS friends.  Some are in town for the Holidays and some live here but we never see each other.  It was fun.
    I'm catching up on email today and have a couple employee annual reviews to write today.  I also have to come up with some 2018 goals for my own review.

Christmas was good - pretty low key and that was great.  DH got me some blue tooth earbuds to use at work and I love them.  No more dealing with a cord as I try to move around my cubicle.

Three days of work this week, a three day weekend and then a four day work week.  Not too bad!
  • I'm here along with 5 other people in my office. And two are leaving after lunch so it's not exactly busy around here. I had a year end report that I just finished so now I've got nothing. Maybe some online shopping? I'm going to try and cut out of work early. 
  • I'm here at work.  I did take yesterday off and am also taking Friday off.  So, basically, I'm only working today and tomorrow.  I've decided all weeks should be a 2-day work week, lol.

My H and I had a mellow (long) weekend.  We went out for a nice lunch on Friday.  I had this delicious seafood concoction that was basically shrimp/oysters/crawfish/crab, swimming in a butter/parmesan/garlic sauce.

We also went on a grocery marathon.  Bought ham for Christmas dinner and also ingredients to make a few freezer crockpot meals.  We're really, really going to start striving harder for more home cooked meals.  We both do best with preparing 1-3 meals all at once and then have the convenience during the week of just heating stuff up.  Or, in this case, throwing them in a crockpot in the morning.

On Christmas, my H took a long nap and burnt the ham!  He cooked it about 50% longer than it should have been.  Fortunately, he had marinated it in orange juice, which kept most of it moist.  We were able to salvage the majority of it.

Yesterday, I hit the after Christmas sales.  Got a lot of good deals, especially at World Market.  Also picked up some Hickory Farms goodness, 30% off at Target.

Crazy thing happened with our dog (she's okay).  At the aforementioned after-Christmas sales, I picked up some Christmas cookies for dogs.  They are about 2" long, shaped like a bone, and have frosting on top.  So cute!  I was excited to give her one. 

She wasn't sure about it at first.  Took a little bite.  Licked some frosting.  And then started happily crunching and ate one whole cookie.  About an hour later, she became super excited and revved up about everything.  She's often like that, but this was even a notch above her norm.  But then she started having whole body fast shakes/trembling.  I googled and there were some innocent explanations, but could also be caused by eating something toxic.

My H went to go look at the ingredients on the cookies.  Sugar was toward the top of the list.  We decided she was having a sugar rush and, sure enough, the shakes stopped after less than 30 minutes (phew).  She also calmed back down after an hour.

We called her Cookie Monster for the rest of the night.  Next time, she only gets half a cookie!  And we'll see how that goes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm here along with 5 other people in my office. And two are leaving after lunch so it's not exactly busy around here. I had a year end report that I just finished so now I've got nothing. Maybe some online shopping? I'm going to try and cut out of work early. 

My first two years with my current employer, I worked on Christmas Eve.  There are about 70-80 people on my floor.  The first year, everybody left by 2:00 except for me and two other employees.  The second year, the few people who came in left at lunch and I was by myself all afternoon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm here at work.  I did take yesterday off and am also taking Friday off.  So, basically, I'm only working today and tomorrow.  I've decided all weeks should be a 2-day work week, lol.

My H and I had a mellow (long) weekend.  We went out for a nice lunch on Friday.  I had this delicious seafood concoction that was basically shrimp/oysters/crawfish/crab, swimming in a butter/parmesan/garlic sauce.

We also went on a grocery marathon.  Bought ham for Christmas dinner and also ingredients to make a few freezer crockpot meals.  We're really, really going to start striving harder for more home cooked meals.  We both do best with preparing 1-3 meals all at once and then have the convenience during the week of just heating stuff up.  Or, in this case, throwing them in a crockpot in the morning.

On Christmas, my H took a long nap and burnt the ham!  He cooked it about 50% longer than it should have been.  Fortunately, he had marinated it in orange juice, which kept most of it moist.  We were able to salvage the majority of it.

Yesterday, I hit the after Christmas sales.  Got a lot of good deals, especially at World Market.  Also picked up some Hickory Farms goodness, 30% off at Target.

Crazy thing happened with our dog (she's okay).  At the aforementioned after-Christmas sales, I picked up some Christmas cookies for dogs.  They are about 2" long, shaped like a bone, and have frosting on top.  So cute!  I was excited to give her one. 

She wasn't sure about it at first.  Took a little bite.  Licked some frosting.  And then started happily crunching and ate one whole cookie.  About an hour later, she became super excited and revved up about everything.  She's often like that, but this was even a notch above her norm.  But then she started having whole body fast shakes/trembling.  I googled and there were some innocent explanations, but could also be caused by eating something toxic.

My H went to go look at the ingredients on the cookies.  Sugar was toward the top of the list.  We decided she was having a sugar rush and, sure enough, the shakes stopped after less than 30 minutes (phew).  She also calmed back down after an hour.

We called her Cookie Monster for the rest of the night.  Next time, she only gets half a cookie!  And we'll see how that goes.

So...I'm going to be "forced" into this anyway with my new lifestyle (at least at first), but H and i do spend entirely to much eating out.  And the majority of the $ is on cocktails.  Money aside, I tend to eat healthier meals at home too.  At least I know what I put into my meals!

• So...I'm going to be "forced" into this anyway with my new lifestyle (at least at first), but H and i do spend entirely to much eating out.  And the majority of the $ is on cocktails.  Money aside, I tend to eat healthier meals at home too.  At least I know what I put into my meals!

Yes, indeedy!  I pick up food on the way home way too often.  Or we throw processed frozen foods in the oven.  Mainly because of laziness.

And the shame is, we can make healthier, cheaper, and better tasting food ourselves.

Plus, when I prepare dishes, I can easily switch out higher calorie/higher fat items for better alternatives that don't even affect the taste.  Like using 95% lean ground beef or lower fat mayo. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At work today and tomorrow, then Saturday and Sunday. I need a vacation from Christmas. Lol. I cooked two days in a row, although I do have to say I nailed it. Everything was so good. But I’m exhausted. I had my interview yesterday for my internship. It was kind of a waste of a drive. It could have easily been done on skype or over the phone. But oh well. 

Add me to the “need to get on the healthy home cooked meals again” bandwagon. 

• I also need to get on the healthy home cooked meal bandwagon. we've barely been cooking lately, or it is the same boring stuff over and over. I told myself we'd have to start eating better because of Baby B and setting a good example but alas hasn't started yet (plus we usually eat after him anyway).
  • you know what's annoying? I took January 3rd off for my friend's wedding and put it in the department calendar (there's only 3 of us in our dept so we let the others know by placing them in their calendars).  The other lady in my department was like "oh, you don't want the 2nd off?"

"no.  I don't want to burn a vacation day before it for no reason".  I don't want to burn a vacation day for this! It's none of her business why I took the 3rd off!  Some people take rando days off, lady.

• you know what's annoying? I took January 3rd off for my friend's wedding and put it in the department calendar (there's only 3 of us in our dept so we let the others know by placing them in their calendars).  The other lady in my department was like "oh, you don't want the 2nd off?"

"no.  I don't want to burn a vacation day before it for no reason".  I don't want to burn a vacation day for this! It's none of her business why I took the 3rd off!  Some people take rando days off, lady.
    This drives me bananas. Like, why does it matter why/when people take PTO as long as it's scheduled properly and doesn't overly burden someone else. Mind your own business. 

This drives me bananas. Like, why does it matter why/when people take PTO as long as it's scheduled properly and doesn't overly burden someone else. Mind your own business. 
    exactly.  Which brings me to another question.  I don't want my office to know of my gastric sleeve.  I don't think it's their business and I work with a very judgey person who could probably create a Dear Prudence letter on a daily basis.  I'm off for a week for it.  Usually, around here, people ask what you're doing once they find out your'e gone for a week.  Just a casual question I don't normally mind answering.

1) am I taking a vacation? (I've never done a staycation before)
    2) getting Nissen fundoplication? (surgery for acid reflux, which you do lose weight on!)
    3) or tell them the truth?  Which I seriously don't want to do.

• Definitely don't feel obligated to share more than you are comfortable. Will you come back looking different after the surgery or is it more gradual? I feel like anytime people lose weight people comment on it. Do you know how you will respond? 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2017
    kvruns said:
    Definitely don't feel obligated to share more than you are comfortable. Will you come back looking different after the surgery or is it more gradual? I feel like anytime people lose weight people comment on it. Do you know how you will respond? 
    it's gradual.  I like 2 -3 pounds a week?  I also should lose 20 before even going in!  My H got Nissen fundoplication before we met, which is why I may use that if anyone asks . It has a few common factors (my doc does that surgery too actually) including the soft foods only after surgery part.  H lost 60 lbs on it (gained 30 back but still looks good!). 

edit: maybe not 20 lbs.  They're looking for 10 - 20 lb loss from the pre op diet, depending on the person.

• Speaking of sticking noses in where they don't belong, this one is on me but it has been sort of driving me crazy and I just need to get it off my chest. One of my sorority sisters adopted 2 kids from the DR of Congo 3-4 years ago after a 1-2 year process to get them. She actually lived in my neighborhood and I saw the kids though never saw her but now they live in a different neighborhood. I've noticed that the adopted daughter has been absent in her fb posts for a while - like 6 months+. None of her in the back to school pix, family Thanksgiving, family Christmas pix, nothing.

Someone commented on one of her pix yesterday saying "where is your other daughter" which tells me I'm not the only one noticing but there was no (public) response. If something bad had happened (adoption invalidated, sickness/death, etc) I feel like she would have shared something asking for prayers so it's like what happened - did they somehow send her back? I can't imagine her ever doing that or if it was even possible since I'm 99% sure they are legally adopted by this point (I think I remember a FB post about it).

I'm sooo curious as to what happened. Obviously none of my business but I can't help but wonder whenever I see pictures. 
  • We still have one more Christmas with my family.  The kids have already received $100 and they'll probably get another $150.  We decided each weekend 1 kid will get to go with 1 parent to do some shopping or something fun and go out to lunch (they also have varying amounts from birthdays, First Communion, raking leaves).  Everyone will have more fun this way.  (They're also putting some of that money on a Disney gift card and in savings.)

I've been struggling with really heavy periods.  Last month I asked the doctor for a prescription that will help reduce the periods.  Instructions say 2 pills 3 times per day during your period.  I took it last month and had a few left. I just realized that there are no refills.  I call the office

Me: I didn't realize there are no refills

Them: The Zyrtec

(an allergy med.  No I'm not calling my gyno for an allergy med)

Me: No. The lysteda.

Them: you know you only take it during your period right?

Me: Yes, there were 30 pills.  Two pills 3 times a day for the length of the period.  I didn't know if I needed to be seen again for a refill or what.

Them: you do know it's only during your period?

Me:yes

Them: I'm not sure you should need a refill by now.

I'm struggling with a sinus infection, but I'm not crazy right?  6 pills a day means that first script was only for 5 days.  This is the second month of my period. 

• kvruns said:
    Speaking of sticking noses in where they don't belong, this one is on me but it has been sort of driving me crazy and I just need to get it off my chest. One of my sorority sisters adopted 2 kids from the DR of Congo 3-4 years ago after a 1-2 year process to get them. She actually lived in my neighborhood and I saw the kids though never saw her but now they live in a different neighborhood. I've noticed that the adopted daughter has been absent in her fb posts for a while - like 6 months+. None of her in the back to school pix, family Thanksgiving, family Christmas pix, nothing.

Someone commented on one of her pix yesterday saying "where is your other daughter" which tells me I'm not the only one noticing but there was no (public) response. If something bad had happened (adoption invalidated, sickness/death, etc) I feel like she would have shared something asking for prayers so it's like what happened - did they somehow send her back? I can't imagine her ever doing that or if it was even possible since I'm 99% sure they are legally adopted by this point (I think I remember a FB post about it).

I'm sooo curious as to what happened. Obviously none of my business but I can't help but wonder whenever I see pictures. 
    You = me.  I often notice when people stop posting stuff that they regularly post (ie: break ups).  Are you keeping up with the question made in the comments?  I'd be checking every once and awhile to see if she answered that person.  I'm also super nosey.  But usually keep it to myself (or share with my H if i need to talk about it)

• @CharmedPam, definitely not #3, if you don't want to reveal the real medical procedure.  I personally would probably go with #2, if it doesn't bother you to let them know it is something medical.  I would just find that an easier answer to keep track of.  Plus, it also gives an easy out if people ask you about your weight loss.

@kvruns, I know what you mean!  It can be hard to walk the line between showing concern and feeling like you are butting into someone's personal (and perhaps sensitive) business.  Especially when the concern also has a small side of curiosity ;).  I hope everything is okay with your acquaintance's daughter.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You're not losing your mind @6fsn Maybe they think your period should only be 2-3 days?  Or was it just supposed to be a trial?  I hope you are able to find someone who can actually help
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2017
    Yea I notice stuff like that too, like hmmm haven't seen so-and-so spouse or bf/gf lately, wonder what is up, especially for people who post on social media a ton or have all of the lovey dovey posts. 

I am keeping up, I actually just checked it again before posting. My H thinks I'm crazy and is like maybe the girl is taking the pix - I'm like nope there's no way she is taking the pic in every single family picture (plus she's like 7-8). I asked my BFF since she's also FB friends with her and we both wished we had another mutual friend we were close with who was also close to her so we could ask. 

Edit: I'm lazy at tagging people in replies or quoting today since there is a limited audience! 
  • So weird @6fsn! is this the first time scripting it?  Your math comes out to 30 pills if you have it for 5 days (which I normally do. 4 if I'm lucky). What did they end up doing?

• Sometimes I wonder if people question why our oldest isn't in any pictures.  He just doesn't want to be and asks me not to post. 

@kvruns- I've never had any issues with this practice and she say she'd ask about a refill.  Even if a period is only 3 days this is the second period and I only got 5 days of pills.  2*3=6

• i stocked up on some groceries to cook different soups and stock our freezer, but have been feeling crummy for the last couple of days (still getting over the bronchitis, and have a bad migraine), so no cooking for me. (Christmas morning wiped me out too much, so we ended up having a freezer pizza for dinner.) i slept most of yesterday.
    I'm going to try and make at least 1 of the soups tonight - it's really hearty (i use more of each veggie than the recipe calls for), and could be modified to vegetarian if you eliminate the bacon and use veggie broth instead of chicken. basic recipe here:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/garbanzo-beans-greens

Also planning to make @6fsn's butternut squash soup. 

I made a turkey on the 23rd, so the family had at least 1 "christmas-y" meal. 
  • @CharmedPam, definitely not #3, if you don't want to reveal the real medical procedure.  I personally would probably go with #2, if it doesn't bother you to let them know it is something medical.  I would just find that an easier answer to keep track of.  Plus, it also gives an easy out if people ask you about your weight loss.

@kvruns, I know what you mean!  It can be hard to walk the line between showing concern and feeling like you are butting into someone's personal (and perhaps sensitive) business.  Especially when the concern also has a small side of curiosity ;).  I hope everything is okay with your acquaintance's daughter.

This is exactly why I may have to tell people I had the NF. We're going to a conference in February for work.  I thought I'd be on solids by then, but after last night's pre-op diet class, I found out it's 6 weeks pureed/liquid and not the 4 weeks I thought it was.

they have breakfast, lunch and snacks out for us and it's eat as you want kinda thing.  No one will bat an eye at me not eating (I'll have a shake before leaving my hotel room in the a.m. and a shake for lunch).  But everyone knows me and everyone knows I like to eat! The dinners will be most complicated as they're sit down plated meals.  I'm hoping if i just eat soup (broth) or yogurt no one will say anything but after saying "I just came out of surgery and still have a hard time eating" it'll make more sense and I'll get more sympathy. 

• @6fsn, that is such a pet peeve of mine!  Ie, yes, I understand what you are saying.  Yes, I just told you I understand that.  Ad nauseum.

This might be anecdotal, but I'll throw out my own experience.  My periods and side effects (just cramps and mood swings) tended to be pretty light in my 20's.  Then, it was like a light switch got turned on in my early 30's.  It became twice as heavy and the cramps/mood swings were worse and longer.  Backaches as a side effect showed up also.  I can actually remember the exact period when it "changed", lol.  Because it did not happen gradually!  Now I'm in my early 40's and it has gotten lighter again over the last few years.  This time it happened gradually.  Though the side effects are still almost as bad.

Going a bit off topic.  I've also been suffering from headaches over the last year, which I never did before.  But it is not just during my periods.  I'm strongly suspecting it is hormonally related, because I think I'm in the first few steps of pre-menopause.

And apparently pre-M can last years.  Why?!?!  WTF is up with that?  I'm unlikely to get pregnant at my age.  Yet I still could.  And, if I did, I'd be a high risk for miscarriage anyway.  Why must there be YEARS of pre-M and decreased fertility.  I can see how being gradual might be a good idea.  But gradual is 1-2 years.  Not a frickin' decade.  IMHO, evolution really screwed up on this, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pam - I would just go with the white lie medical issue.  It will cover your bases on what is going on.  As for your upcoming conference, I would try to stick with soups as much as possible.  Would you be able to do any soft pastas by then?

As for FB gossip, my old college roommate got married in Disney.  Big to do about having the wedding there.  Then a few months later, she starts posting about a big PPD complete with professional photographer, again.  I was doing some major side-eye.  She is a Disney phanatic, so the Disney wedding was expected.  But then to have the PPD too? Why not just be happy with your Disney wedding?  Anyway, her and her H were always posting things about each other.  She just had her 2nd baby a month or so before DD.  But while she was posting about her pregnancy, all posts about the H stopped.  All of the baby posts she has had this year tagged her sister or mom, not the H.  They also went to Disney again a few months ago and no H.  So its obvious they aren't together anymore.  But they broke up during the pregnancy, so I'm just really curious as to what happened.  She has an older daughter with the H and both kids look just like the dad.  So I don't think my old roommate was carrying another man's baby!

• they have breakfast, lunch and snacks out for us and it's eat as you want kinda thing.  No one will bat an eye at me not eating (I'll have a shake before leaving my hotel room in the a.m. and a shake for lunch).  But everyone knows me and everyone knows I like to eat! The dinners will be most complicated as they're sit down plated meals.  I'm hoping if i just eat soup (broth) or yogurt no one will say anything but after saying "I just came out of surgery and still have a hard time eating" it'll make more sense and I'll get more sympathy. 
    is there any way you can talk to the organizers or the catering group in advance and let them know you have medical requirements for a modified diet? that way you won't have to go through telling a wider group of people. Maybe you can go through the menu in advance and determine if there's anything you can eat, or that will require only minor modifications? a co-worker of mine had gastric surgery a few years ago, and i remember that modified diet was no joke. 
  • Pam - I would just go with the white lie medical issue.  It will cover your bases on what is going on.  As for your upcoming conference, I would try to stick with soups as much as possible.  Would you be able to do any soft pastas by then?

As for FB gossip, my old college roommate got married in Disney.  Big to do about having the wedding there.  Then a few months later, she starts posting about a big PPD complete with professional photographer, again.  I was doing some major side-eye.  She is a Disney phanatic, so the Disney wedding was expected.  But then to have the PPD too? Why not just be happy with your Disney wedding?  Anyway, her and her H were always posting things about each other.  She just had her 2nd baby a month or so before DD.  But while she was posting about her pregnancy, all posts about the H stopped.  All of the baby posts she has had this year tagged her sister or mom, not the H.  They also went to Disney again a few months ago and no H.  So its obvious they aren't together anymore.  But they broke up during the pregnancy, so I'm just really curious as to what happened.  She has an older daughter with the H and both kids look just like the dad.  So I don't think my old roommate was carrying another man's baby!

Way back when (in college), I had two coworkers start dating each other and got married at Disney World.  It was actually the guy who was the big Disney fanatic.

But here was the part I thought was just so weird.  That was when I lived in CA.  DisneyLAND was 45 minutes away from us.  But no.  They wanted a DW across the country at DisneyWORLD.  Seemed like that would be insanely more expensive and a big PITA for all their guests.  But "not my monkeys...".

Getting married at Disney is expensive and, I'd assume, a special place for those kind of folks.  I can't imagine why they felt they "needed" a big PPD on top of it.

That is one of the crazy things about FB.  You can find out about major happenings with people you don't really talk to anymore, lol.  A former coworker and I became good friends.  The company's NOLA office shut down a long time ago, but she and I gossip with each other when we find out tidbits about our other previous coworkers.  One of them suddenly changed her FB name to her maiden name.  Obviously a divorce had happened, so friend and I threw out our theories as to what caused it.  They had seemed so happy together, but we only knew them superficially.  Alas, there is no way for us to know.  So that's the frustrating part!

Wedding Countdown Ticker