Wedding Woes

THIS IS A PROBLEM?! REALLY?! (Also, I haaaatttteee text speak used outside of texting)

Dear Jane,

I need your suggestion asap!

So New Year’s Eve is coming soon and I can’t decide what to do for dinner. My two ideas include a fancy dinner of steak, lobster, salad and wings (got to have wings for NYE) or a “smorgasbord” of different foods like Chinese, pizza, fried mozzarella, burgers or cheesesteaks, salad and, of course, wings!

The cost for each is about the same and steak and lobster always sounds nice but I can’t stop thinking that once the steak dinner is done, it’s done, while we can eat off the “smorgasbord” throughout the night and probably have dinner for the next night too. What do you think? I can’t make up my mind and just need someone’s I’m not related too opinion because the ppl around me just agrees to both ideas or shrug.

NYE is soon so I need an answer asap!

Re: THIS IS A PROBLEM?! REALLY?! (Also, I haaaatttteee text speak used outside of texting)

• Image result for is this real life

Get Chinese and use the rest of the money to buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Decision-Making-Dummies-Dawna-Jones/dp/111883366X
    *********************************************************************************

• I was expecting much worse on the text speak from @mrsconn23's title.  Normally, that drives me nuts also.  But I didn't find it too obnoxious for this letter.

Though, what is Jane thinking even printing this letter, lol.  Was there really nothing of more substance.

With that said, I vote smorgasbord.  Especially since it sounds like it will be a decent sized group as opposed to a romantic NYE dinner with H.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • (I didn't notice any text speak....). Ok I looked again "ppl" - is that the only one? 

If it is for a group I think smorgasboard makes the most sense. And are wings really an NYE thing or is it just a thing for them? 
  • kvruns said:
    (I didn't notice any text speak....). Ok I looked again "ppl" - is that the only one? 

If it is for a group I think smorgasboard makes the most sense. And are wings really an NYE thing or is it just a thing for them? 

In the South, black-eyed peas on New Year's Eve/Day is a thing, though I've never done it.  I think it is supposed to be lucky.  I've never associated wings with NYE.  I more assumed it was a "them" thing.

And speaking of, while I do love me some wings, I would find it weird to eat them at a meal with steak and lobster.  It's too fine dining vs. bar food. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We usually have a nicer dinner on NYE.  I like food questions  :p
    I don’t think LW thinks of it so much as a problem but just needs a suggestion. 
  • What does the LW want to do?   It's her mouth!
  • I like fancy sit down dinner for NYE but last year we did smorgasbord (and stayed in and watched Star Wars) and that was pretty great. 
  • the easiest way to resolve this - is it a sit down dinner, or is an event with no planned dinner time and people can eat as they are hungry. I don't eat seafood, but i know enough about steak and lobster to know that's not something that you just chuck on a buffet hot plate for people to eat as they want. does the host have a catering service coming, or do they plan to cook themselves? would they rather spend the time in the kitchen working on a high end meal, or spend time with the guests and just replenish the buffet on occasion?
  • I was expecting much worse on the text speak from @mrsconn23's title.  Normally, that drives me nuts also.  But I didn't find it too obnoxious for this letter.

Though, what is Jane thinking even printing this letter, lol.  Was there really nothing of more substance.

With that said, I vote smorgasbord.  Especially since it sounds like it will be a decent sized group as opposed to a romantic NYE dinner with H.

I'm really sensitive to it because of my job.  It drives me bananas since I deal with e-mail all day long. Text speak and people who write their entire email in the subject line make me stabby AF.
  • mrsconn23 said:

I was expecting much worse on the text speak from @mrsconn23's title.  Normally, that drives me nuts also.  But I didn't find it too obnoxious for this letter.

I'm really sensitive to it because of my job.  It drives me bananas since I deal with e-mail all day long. Text speak and people who write their entire email in the subject line make me stabby AF.
    Sing it sister!

I hear you. Also, people who name files on the shared server ridiculous things so you have to search through every one. 

We do small NYE, big NYD. 
  • kvruns said:
    (snip)
    And are wings really an NYE thing or is it just a thing for them? 
    In some places, yes. Similar to (but not as traditional as) black eyed peas, greens, and potlikker. 
    *********************************************************************************

• potlikker? this might be the first time I've ever seen that word

• kvruns said:
    potlikker? this might be the first time I've ever seen that word

I had to google.  Apparently it's the broth or juice let behind after cooking greens or beans.  Can be seasoned with salt & pepper, smoked pork or turkey.  High in iron and other vitamins.
  • kvruns said:
    potlikker? this might be the first time I've ever seen that word

It's basically just a stew with greens and smoked meat - usually ham. Some people make it into a foodie dish with seasonings, nice cuts of smoked meat, and add-ins like roasted root veggies or cornmeal dumplings. 

• Dear LW

I don't like steak or lobster.  So I vote smorgasbord.  But that's just me.  Just like your guests are just your guests.  Do you know them?