Destination Weddings Discussions

Wedding Vendor Commission / Markup?

Hi all! We are having a destination wedding in Hawaii this fall and were planning to use a day-of coordinator to help us with making sure everything goes smoothly. We were (accidentally, I assume) CC'd on an e-mail thread in which the potential day-of coordinator and our venue coordinator discuss the 30% markup the vendor will pass on to us because the hotel takes a 30% commission for referrals. Is taking a commission this high usual practice? If we use a vendor not referred by our venue manager do we avoid this markup? This seems like a crazy amount - 1/3 higher price just for a referral! 

Re: Wedding Vendor Commission / Markup?

• Hi all! We are having a destination wedding in Hawaii this fall and were planning to use a day-of coordinator to help us with making sure everything goes smoothly. We were (accidentally, I assume) CC'd on an e-mail thread in which the potential day-of coordinator and our venue coordinator discuss the 30% markup the vendor will pass on to us because the hotel takes a 30% commission for referrals. Is taking a commission this high usual practice? If we use a vendor not referred by our venue manager do we avoid this markup? This seems like a crazy amount - 1/3 higher price just for a referral! 
    This doesn't make sense (and maybe I just don't understand), but it sounds like you're saying a potential day-of coordinator contacted the venue coordinator/manager (that you're already working with) and the venue said they'd charge you an additional fee (30% commission)  to work with this DOC? 

Assuming the above is correct; I think venues have preferred vendor lists and usually there is some agreement with those vendors to steer business there (and probably some $ changes hands), and I’ve seen additional fees (mainly insurance) to work with non-preferred vendors that is paid for by the couple. 

I’d recommend contacting your venue coordinator directly and ask about working with non-preferred vendors and what their policy is. This should also be in your contract you signed with the venue so I’d check to see what it says.