Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaids - Same dress different colors vs different dress same colors

I'm trying to decide on what look I want for my girls. I want to give them some freedom and touch of individuality. I only have a Maid of Honor, Matron of Honor and one Maid.  Pros and cons of having all girls in the same dress in varying sades vs the same color in different dress styles?

Re: Bridesmaids - Same dress different colors vs different dress same colors

• I'm trying to decide on what look I want for my girls. I want to give them some freedom and touch of individuality. I only have a Maid of Honor, Matron of Honor and one Maid.  Pros and cons of having all girls in the same dress in varying sades vs the same color in different dress styles?
    If your focus is on your bridesmaids' comfort (and it should be!), different dresses are the way to go. Personally I just said 'blue and short' and let them pick both the shade and style and shop anywhere they liked. Funnily enough, they all picked very similar silhouettes in spite of being a wide range of sizes.

That said, if you want to take more control over the look, there are some things you have to take into consideration. You must ask each woman (I'm assuming they're all adults and not actually girls--I am guilty of referring to women this way myself and am making a conscious effort to stop) individually and privately, what her max budget is, and remember that this includes alterations, so choose a designer or dress under the lowest figure you get in response.

Also, once you give parameters (i.e. this color from this line or here's a swatch, find something close, or whatever), this is the end of your input. You do not get veto or approval power over their choices. Just remember that their genuinely happy smiling faces will be worth letting go of control on their attire.
  • I've discussed budget and general style with everyone and we're all on the same page there. We just haven't decided on A dress (or dresses) yet. And yes, we're all women (good point).
  • Then, unless everyone has the same body type, I'd encourage you to pick a color and let them each pick a dress, since the same dress is rarely flattering on all bodies.
  • So I prefer the "same color, different styles" for 2 big reasons:

1) as a bride, I like the consistency of one color - also "pink" (just for example) comes in 60 million shades ranging from orange-y coral pink to neon purply fuschia pink to pale, ballet pink. If you only have 3 BMs, you could get all 3. 
    2) as a bridesmaid, being able to pick your own style that is comfortable for your body type is really, really great. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Same color, different styles. I think it looks really nice, and it allows everyone to pick a style that they feel comfortable wearing.
  • Same color, different styles! I chose navy, which was pretty easy to find and can be worn again. All of my BMs had pretty different body types, and they had no trouble finding a dress they felt comfortable in. Since the dresses were the same color, they still looked cohesive.
  • Another vote for same color different styles, it really shows that you care about your bridesmaids and their comfort, letting them pick a dress that fit their body type and they feel comfortable in. Plus it allows them to pick a dress they'll actually wear again.
  • I suggest you decide on your favorite color and leave the styles to your BMs to choose.You should take the lead.
  • I suggest keeping an open mind. I have heard many brides say that they were fine with same color, different dress, but when they went shopping all the bridesmaids ended up liking the same thing anyways. This was true for me yesterday when we went shopping. I had no preference and it just worked out that way. Set some guidelines (color, length, anything you really hate) and take it from there.
  • Same colour, different style.

I told my BMs "David's Bridal, midnight blue, cocktail length". (I went with David's Bridal as my BMs were spread out, and after looking at other stores, wedding and not, found DB had the most variety at various price points).

They picked fairly different styles, in different fabrics too, but they both looked great.
  • Same color, for sure. I am looking for BM dresses now, and trust me, when you have BMs in different shapes, it's much easier to have different styles in one color, so that everyone can fit in without looking dazzling.
  • Chiming in because this can't be said enough- same color, different styles; or if you can swing it, the mismatched look can look amazing. (Mismatched was a little intimidating for me so I went with all black.)

Two of my ladies bought new black dresses and two used black dresses from their closets. I was a bridesmaid a couple years ago where I got to choose my own style and I've been able to re-wear that dress to other events. Just attended a formal wedding where the ladies were in black evening gowns and they all looked amazing. 

There's nothing wrong with a matching bridal party if you want it, but in the past several years I've seen many more with different dresses and it always looks great. 

• If your bridesmaids all have a very similar body type but different coloring (skin tone, hair, etc.) then it would make sense to go with the same dress but different colors, because you can get a dress that flatters the single body type and varying colors that flatters the varying skin/hair. 

But most of the time people have bridesmaids with different body types, and most women would much rather have a flattering cut than a flattering color, as long as the color choice is reasonable. 
  • I allowed them to do different dresses, different colors same or similar material and length. Ended up they all wanted burgundy, but they are from different designers so the shades will be different. 
    I think it will look beautiful, I really like mixing and matching colors