Wedding Etiquette Forum

Has anyone gone "no centerpiece" for a formal wedding?

2»

Re: Has anyone gone "no centerpiece" for a formal wedding?

• Would it ruin it? No. But if you're looking at budget friendly things, here's a couple suggestions:

1 - for our wedding, we got candles from ikea {they were less than $10 each} and dollar store frames. The intention was for someone at the table to "win" it but we dropped the ball. We gave away a bunch of the candles, but the frames we ended up keeping for Christmas. Printed a bunch of wedding photos, and gave them with gifts to family

2 - wedding we were at in September had a stand with a number in the center with photo of bride & groom at a certain age at each table. Very simple but really cute.
    This is SO cute!
    It really was! And pretty in expensive as they used the original photos. Some were laminated if they were in poor condition, but still
  • Not a big deal, there are ways to make your table look nice/grand without having centerpieces (nice tablecloths, add some color with linens/runners, dessert tray, table cake, etc.)...  
  • Would it ruin it? No. But if you're looking at budget friendly things, here's a couple suggestions:

1 - for our wedding, we got candles from ikea {they were less than $10 each} and dollar store frames. The intention was for someone at the table to "win" it but we dropped the ball. We gave away a bunch of the candles, but the frames we ended up keeping for Christmas. Printed a bunch of wedding photos, and gave them with gifts to family

2 - wedding we were at in September had a stand with a number in the center with photo of bride & groom at a certain age at each table. Very simple but really cute.
    This is SO cute!
    DD did this at her wedding.  Table #3 had pictures of them at that age.  They tried to coordinate the photos; two Halloween pictures at age 5, two "first day of school" photos at age 6, etc.  The only thing they did a little differently was "jump" from table 10 to 13......neither of them felt they had one decent picture from the "dreaded" middle school/going through puberty phase!  It was a lot of work but worth it for them.  They received a lot of comments.  It was cute but not juvenile.

• It does sound lovely! I also wouldn't enjoy adding the awkward years!

Update for all - my fiance and I were joking around with a friend about the centerpiece thing (friend was like, "how involved are you going to be in planning" and i'm like, "oh! he has opinions! He HATES centerpieces haha"), and he's like, "I just want something small, like some candles or succulents". I think we can definitely put something together that looks classy and nice without breaking the bank
    Depending on the centerpiece, if you don't wanna bring stuff home you can set it up so someone at the table 'wins' the centerpiece ;)

• It does sound lovely! I also wouldn't enjoy adding the awkward years!

Update for all - my fiance and I were joking around with a friend about the centerpiece thing (friend was like, "how involved are you going to be in planning" and i'm like, "oh! he has opinions! He HATES centerpieces haha"), and he's like, "I just want something small, like some candles or succulents". I think we can definitely put something together that looks classy and nice without breaking the bank
    Depending on the centerpiece, if you don't wanna bring stuff home you can set it up so someone at the table 'wins' the centerpiece ;)
    Except nobody who "wins" usually wants to bring centerpieces home. They're likely to abandon them at the reception -- especially if they're from out of town and would have to find a way to bring them or ship them home.

Sounds to me like simple centerpieces like your FI prefers -- or none -- will be just right. 
  • Jen4948 said:

It does sound lovely! I also wouldn't enjoy adding the awkward years!

Except nobody who "wins" usually wants to bring centerpieces home. They're likely to abandon them at the reception -- especially if they're from out of town and would have to find a way to bring them or ship them home.
    You are 100% correct, and we expected that as well. Legit end of the night we were just passing stuff out to people still there asking if they wanted it.

Mostly family took them.