Wedding Woes

Wednesday already :D

Not that it matters since I am working all.the.hours.  ;) 

It is still cold AF outside and in my house.  I need to order a new heater for our downstairs.  It looks like we have a week before this weather finally breaks and gets into the upper 20's and 30's.  

The kids went back to school today.  No delays, w00t.  The kiddo actually doesn't go in until this afternoon since the career center is still closed.  He had to go into the career center the first week of school break, so he ended up with only a week and a half off of everything.  His gf was on vacation all last week, so they were stuck like glue to each other yesterday.  

I'm ready for a nap. 

Re: Wednesday already :D

• I'm ready for a nap at it's not even 10am yet. It's still cold and snowy here. I have a ton of work to do, but I'm not feeling motivated at all. I'm missing my flexible scheduling and working from home. 

Other than that not much going on. I started marathon training this week so that could be some of the tiredness. Only 4 months until the race!
  • We have some break for the damn polar vortex causing my area to be fucking cold for whole holiday.
    It's only 2 days, but still .... -10C feels a lot milder than -30C lmao

I really need to do laundry, and I may throw the rest of the cushion covers into the wash this week.

Amazon finally sent me all my orders! :D Just in time for my last bit of Christmas gathering this weekend. I told M we have a few things to wrap on Friday.

I feel like I'm pretty on the ball with my plan of organization this year. I'm trying to turn a resolution into a lifestyle, and it's not the easiest thing to do but we have a list of 'to do'
    I broke them all down into 3 parts - daily, weekly, monthly. Things for both of us so neither of us can say "oh that's all you" or "I'm doing everything" etc etc.
    I mean yes, right now M is the one who does the litter and at some point he will be the one that does the upstairs bathroom because of the shower.

Revenge of morning sickness has returned with a vengeance. So I'm back on my meds on the low dose :( Oh well .... I got a couple weeks of nothing lol
  • The initial burst of work has slowed.  I still have a bunch to do, but can come on over to Knot from time to time.

Last night was good.  Yoga after work and then leftover stew heated up.  I then got dragged down the rabbit hole of finding invitations for DDs birthday party.  I found a cute one on Etsy that said something about the Pineapple of our Eye, so it fit into the Hawaiian theme!

Today is probably folding clothes before bed.

• edited January 2018
    Hey weird question for mamas ..... is there anything I should ask my OB about that average person may not?
    Few questions I currently have

- what are other options for pain other than epidural? {not taking it out of equation, needle in my spine doesn't thrill me and wanna know what else I can do}

- cord blood - heard about delaying clamping is good, does OB know medical benefits of it? If no medical reason to delay it, how does one go about donating cord blood?

- what happens if I go into a major panic attack during labour?
  • I'm ready for a nap at it's not even 10am yet. It's still cold and snowy here. I have a ton of work to do, but I'm not feeling motivated at all. I'm missing my flexible scheduling and working from home. 

Other than that not much going on. I started marathon training this week so that could be some of the tiredness. Only 4 months until the race!
    I'm starting my half marathon training this week! H and I are doing the Maine Coast Half Marathon/Marathon in May. We are both severely out of shape and it's going to be rough going for a few weeks.

Day 2 at the new job. It's going well so far. Everyone is nice and I'm right back in the swing of things. Far less drama, which is a nice change of pace.
    That's awesome, I bet it's a beautiful course!

I did the Columbus half in the fall, but I haven't done much running since. I'm doing the Buffalo marathon in May; I've done the half, but this will be my first full. 
  • HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I'm off today.  We are heading to Denver so DH can meet with a Gastro-bypass surgeon.   It's the first meeting.  I'm on the fence on whether he needs to go this route.   But DH seems to think this is the answer.  I guess I will see what the doctor has to say.

Work is so slow right now.  We haven't had snow since xmas.  Skiing SUCKS.   It's a wonder people even come up to us it's so bad.  So far 3 employees have hurt themselves (one was on his off day, other 2 getting to/from work).  We need snow so bad.  I wonder how long we can stay open.

:cry:

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

I'm starting my half marathon training this week! H and I are doing the Maine Coast Half Marathon/Marathon in May. We are both severely out of shape and it's going to be rough going for a few weeks.

Day 2 at the new job. It's going well so far. Everyone is nice and I'm right back in the swing of things. Far less drama, which is a nice change of pace.

I did the Columbus half in the fall, but I haven't done much running since. I'm doing the Buffalo marathon in May; I've done the half, but this will be my first full. 
    The Buffalo course was my first half! H's family ran it two years in a row and I ran the half the second year they ran the full. It was a really nice race. H has run all his marathons locally so I convinced to turn the next one into a vacation for us. So we're going to Maine and then we're going to drive back through New Hampshire, Vermont and the Adirondacks through the rest of the week.

The Buffalo course was my first half! H's family ran it two years in a row and I ran the half the second year they ran the full. It was a really nice race. H has run all his marathons locally so I convinced to turn the next one into a vacation for us. So we're going to Maine and then we're going to drive back through New Hampshire, Vermont and the Adirondacks through the rest of the week.
    If you go through NH be sure to stop in Portsmouth, its beautiful and a fun small city. I used to live in Hanover so if you're driving through that part of NH I can give you some great restaurant recs. 

Buffalo was my first half, too! I love the course so I figured it would be a great one for my first. 

I've never traveled for a race either. Are you guys vacationing before or after?
  • Hey weird question for mamas ..... is there anything I should ask my OB about that average person may not?

- what are other options for pain other than epidural? {not taking it out of equation, needle in my spine doesn't thrill me and wanna know what else I can do}

- cord blood - heard about delaying clamping is good, does OB know medical benefits of it? If no medical reason to delay it, how does one go about donating cord blood?

Some others: What is the set up in the hospital where you're birthing?   Do you know if you'll birth and stay in the room or will you go to a recovery room?  

-Can you get into a shower while in labor?   What do they require of you while in there?   Will you need to be monitored?  Do they have tubs? 

-Have you had any bloodwork done to show any risk factors?   I think you're early along so this may change as you progress.   How you're  monitored may be a decision that changes based on how you move through your trimesters.

-What kind of hospital is it?   Is it baby friendly?   Do they require the baby to be in the room with you?   Can you request that baby go to the nursery so you can nap? 

Questions for you: 

-What kind of a coach will your DH be?   Do you want to look into a doula?  
  • banana468 said:
    Hey weird question for mamas ..... is there anything I should ask my OB about that average person may not?

Some others: What is the set up in the hospital where you're birthing?   Do you know if you'll birth and stay in the room or will you go to a recovery room?  OB mentioned there is more information on stuff when we do the pre-sign up and we'll have a walk through

-Can you get into a shower while in labor?   What do they require of you while in there?   Will you need to be monitored?  Do they have tubs? 

-Have you had any bloodwork done to show any risk factors?   I think you're early along so this may change as you progress.   How you're  monitored may be a decision that changes based on how you move through your trimesters.
    I had extra blood work done, requested by OB, so far no issues.

-What kind of hospital is it?   Is it baby friendly?   Do they require the baby to be in the room with you?   Can you request that baby go to the nursery so you can nap? 
    This I already know because a friend delivered at same hospital - yes baby stays with you unless premie or issues that baby needs extra attention

Questions for you: 

-What kind of a coach will your DH be?   Do you want to look into a doula? M already knows how to deal with me when I'm flipping the eff out, so I think he'll be good .... we're also into classes to better prep ourselves. My mum gave him a few tips that she found my dad did to help with her {ie; giving me one thing to focus on - him or doctor - so then I'll actually listen}
    Answered in bolded.
    2nd idk, so adding to my list :)
  • @charlotte989875 what marathon?   You and @cupcait927 are definitely making me miss my old running self

@misskittydanger there are other options besides epidural. My birthing class talked a lot about non-epidural options like laughing gas and I forget what else. You will likely see that things like that and your cord blood question are going to vary depending on the type of Dr you see (old school vs newer schools of thought, pro-intervention vs natural, etc). 

• banana468 said:

I learned way too late mine was this way (not that I would have switched hospitals but still) - it really sucked not getting to use the nursery for a break!
  • kvruns said:
    @charlotte989875 what marathon?   You and @cupcait927 are definitely making me miss my old running self

@misskittydanger there are other options besides epidural. My birthing class talked a lot about non-epidural options like laughing gas and I forget what else. You will likely see that things like that and your cord blood question are going to vary depending on the type of Dr you see (old school vs newer schools of thought, pro-intervention vs natural, etc). 

I'm doing the Buffalo full. It runs all through the city and along the waterfront. It's Memorial Day weekend and it's a pretty big deal in Buffalo. It's a Boston qualifier so it's a pretty big race. It's a flat course, too so I'm pretty excited. 

I've never done a full, but my good friend ran her first this fall and I ran the first half and then a few later miles with her, so I'm thinking I can do it!
  • banana468 said:

Some others: What is the set up in the hospital where you're birthing?   Do you know if you'll birth and stay in the room or will you go to a recovery room?  OB mentioned there is more information on stuff when we do the pre-sign up and we'll have a walk through

This I already know because a friend delivered at same hospital - yes baby stays with you unless premie or issues that baby needs extra attention

Questions for you: 

-What kind of a coach will your DH be?   Do you want to look into a doula? M already knows how to deal with me when I'm flipping the eff out, so I think he'll be good .... we're also into classes to better prep ourselves. My mum gave him a few tips that she found my dad did to help with her {ie; giving me one thing to focus on - him or doctor - so then I'll actually listen}
    Answered in bolded.
    OK - A few things:

1) When it comes to the baby in the room, do you have the option of asking for a nap?   Our hospital still allowed us to get a nap without baby when requested.   Kiddo had to go for some testing and it worked out that we could get some shut eye.   It's worth the question.   You could feel like you're too weak to get up.

2) The question is also about how your DH handles stress / anxiety.   My DH is great at calming me down but this is also anxiety creating and major stress for both of you (although it's your body I get it!).   How does he handle game time decisions, along with blood, poop and vomit?   Is he the type to need to lay down if the scene is overwhelming?   
    We knew that we wanted someone with the expertise of having been with moms who delivered babies before and someone who was there for the two of us if we needed anything.   It was worth the expense for us.   Just some food for thought.
  • Hi everyone! 

I’m off work today, so I’m trying to catch up on sleep and some other errands. I feel like 2018 just started and I already need a vacation. I’m a little surprised work didn’t call me to come in today. Our ER was full to capacity, as was the ICU. Flu season hit hard. They’ve been calling me every day I’m off. They wanted me to come in at 3 am yesterday, but I just couldn’t do it. We haven’t gotten any lunches or breaks for days. So, extra pay would be nice, but it’s probably for the best that I have the day off. Now I just have to find the motivation to be productive. 

• @charlotte989875 Any restaurant recs would be great! We're running the race the first weekend and then spending the rest of the week traveling back. We haven't started to plan out a route back yet but I will happily plan it around food (and breweries if anyone has good recommendations for the Northeast between Maine and NY).
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Questions for you: 

Answered in bolded.
    OK - A few things:

1) When it comes to the baby in the room, do you have the option of asking for a nap?   Our hospital still allowed us to get a nap without baby when requested.   Kiddo had to go for some testing and it worked out that we could get some shut eye.   It's worth the question.   You could feel like you're too weak to get up.

2) The question is also about how your DH handles stress / anxiety.   My DH is great at calming me down but this is also anxiety creating and major stress for both of you (although it's your body I get it!).   How does he handle game time decisions, along with blood, poop and vomit?   Is he the type to need to lay down if the scene is overwhelming?   
    We knew that we wanted someone with the expertise of having been with moms who delivered babies before and someone who was there for the two of us if we needed anything.   It was worth the expense for us.   Just some food for thought.
    Ahh okay, I'll ask specifically about the sleep option. I know a few years ago they had the crib/bassinet right beside the mother's bed but things can change.

M is a weird dude. He will internally stress or freak out about things, but have a calm surface while what needs to be done gets done. I think that's from his years in cadets and being a survival instructor. Freaking out means something can go wrong {I, on the other hand, will flip out and make it worse - he has had to remove me from the scene on more than one occasion}
    M is calm by nature and it is sometimes freaky.

He's had to gut a deer, and no it's not the same but it's still disgusting. He cannot handle cat hairballs though, so we'll see about that lmfao Might be a mix of us both staring at the baby going "you clean it" "no you clean it" "i can't, you do it"  ;)

I think our OB would be really good in the off chance something goes wrong and M doesn't know what do or how to handle it. I may ask OB about that anyways
  • kvruns said:
    I found birthing classes, and it mentions it'll talk about different options. I think once I know my options, I may have a clearer way to talk to OB about it.
    I don't wanna take epidural off the table entirely, I just want things other than "giant needle in my spine"
    Mind you I could plan on something else then saying "fuck it, give me epidural!"
  • I think you're in Canada and I don't know about your hospital but when I was in labor with my kids, the doctor visits were not frequent until I was ready to push out the baby.   Even nursing visits were mostly for paperwork.   It was a sharp wake up call to reality when we saw how busy things were.  
  • banana468 said:
    I think you're in Canada and I don't know about your hospital but when I was in labor with my kids, the doctor visits were not frequent until I was ready to push out the baby.   Even nursing visits were mostly for paperwork.   It was a sharp wake up call to reality when we saw how busy things were.  
    I'm currently at OB every 4 weeks until end of March, then every 2 weeks until 30 something weeks .... then every week.

She mentioned to pre-sign up for hospital so we can book a walk through after 30 or so weeks, to get a feel of the place and see ideas they have. I know one hospital has a bunch of options, but they were just renovated so idk.
  • MDK your M sounds just like me. I'm a very calm person, internalize it all, etc. Apparently that helped me with labor. 

FWIW my H was no help at all in labor (although I didnt ask for it). He pretty much just watched TV and played on his phone.  Then again all I really remember is laying in bed and having a nurse check on things every so often. I did have an epidural so you can't be walking around and stuff after that
  • kvruns said:
    MDK your M sounds just like me. I'm a very calm person, internalize it all, etc. Apparently that helped me with labor. 

FWIW my H was no help at all in labor (although I didnt ask for it). He pretty much just watched TV and played on his phone.  Then again all I really remember is laying in bed and having a nurse check on things every so often. I did have an epidural so you can't be walking around and stuff after that
    I've already told M that we're bringing the tablet we have so we can at least watch netflix or something while waiting. I figure distraction might be good.

If you had asked for help, would your H been more helpful?
  • Yea there was really nothing he could do. If I had said rub my feet or something he would have done it but otherwise there really isn't much he could/should do. There was no coaching through contractions or whatever - part because of just the way I internalize and part because of epidural I think. I do laugh because I brought a book + my ipad figuring I'd be laying and want something to do but I swear I don't know how time passed but I didn't do any of it. 
  • @charlotte989875 Any restaurant recs would be great! We're running the race the first weekend and then spending the rest of the week traveling back. We haven't started to plan out a route back yet but I will happily plan it around food (and breweries if anyone has good recommendations for the Northeast between Maine and NY).
    If you do the coastal route along NH I'd recommend the Portsmouth Brewery and Smuttynose. They're great local breweries. If you go through the middle of the state and through Vermont I'd definitely make a trip to Burlington, VT. If you stop in Hanover go to the Canoe Club (I used to bartend there in grad school), food is excellent. I'd stop at the LongTrail Brewery on the way to Burlington; and in Burlington if you like Chinese food you have to go to A Single Pebble. It's expensive, but some of the best food I've ever had. For breweries I'd definitely go to Switchback brewery, Magic Hat and Fiddleheads are a little outside the city, but also good. 
  • Whoa!  Speaking of weather, I just saw that it is snowing in Tallahassee, FL for the first time since 1989.  Crazy.  However, no snow flurries for us last night (had only been a 30% chance).  It might drop slightly below freezing tonight, but that's it.  Temps are just heading back up over the next week and we'll have highs in the low 60s over the weekend, lol.  Especially having grown up in a really temperate climate (So. CA), this 35 degree range in the same week is astonishing.

I had a happy morning attacking more credit card debt, lol.  I'm finally back at a place where most of my cards are paid off and now it is just maintenance of paying off whatever got recently charged.  So many zero balances on my Excel spreadsheet.  They're beautiful, lol.

On more good financial news, I have my plan of attack for paying my property taxes.  Not including my personal home (which is escrowed), I have a total to pay of $3800 in the month of January **choke**.  It's not even a surprise but, I swear, every year it is like OMG, aaahh.  So MUCH to pay at once!  I do earmark money from my rents toward those expenses throughout the year.  But I try to cash flow what I can, when the time comes.  As in, right now, lol.  I already paid the bill for one property out of cash flow.  Woo hoo! Overall, I'm going to be able to cash flow a little more than half.  Which is a big improvement from last year. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    If you do the coastal route along NH I'd recommend the Portsmouth Brewery and Smuttynose. They're great local breweries. If you go through the middle of the state and through Vermont I'd definitely make a trip to Burlington, VT. If you stop in Hanover go to the Canoe Club (I used to bartend there in grad school), food is excellent. I'd stop at the LongTrail Brewery on the way to Burlington; and in Burlington if you like Chinese food you have to go to A Single Pebble. It's expensive, but some of the best food I've ever had. For breweries I'd definitely go to Switchback brewery, Magic Hat and Fiddleheads are a little outside the city, but also good. 
    Thank you for the suggestions! I'll make notes on all of this :)

• On more good financial news, I have my plan of attack for paying my property taxes.  Not including my personal home (which is escrowed), I have a total to pay of $3800 in the month of January **choke**.  It's not even a surprise but, I swear, every year it is like OMG, aaahh.  So MUCH to pay at once!  I do earmark money from my rents toward those expenses throughout the year.  But I try to cash flow what I can, when the time comes.  As in, right now, lol.  I already paid the bill for one property out of cash flow.  Woo hoo! Overall, I'm going to be able to cash flow a little more than half.  Which is a big improvement from last year. 

Yikes! That is a lot. My H had a rental (his grandma's condo he inherited) and between that and our house it was definitely a lot of tax $$ to pay out 
  • kvruns said:
    Yea there was really nothing he could do. If I had said rub my feet or something he would have done it but otherwise there really isn't much he could/should do. There was no coaching through contractions or whatever - part because of just the way I internalize and part because of epidural I think. I do laugh because I brought a book + my ipad figuring I'd be laying and want something to do but I swear I don't know how time passed but I didn't do any of it. 
    Well at least he was there if needed/wanted.

I doubt I'll use it, but I figure might as well have it anyways. I find when I'm freaking out, in pain, etc etc it helps to have something distracting.
    Typically if I have a panic attack in the car, I play solitaire on M's phone. It just gets my brain focused on something else.
  • today is my first day of work in like 2.5 weeks. Wolverine is still off until Monday (no clue why they didn't start back this week), so the plan was for DK to stay home today, me tomorrow, and both Friday. (we can both WFH - and I was supposed to have Friday off, so have appointments)

With the hard freeze last night, I planned to go in a little later to give it time in case the roads were slippery, but was feeling a little sick while getting ready, so decided to just telecommute for today and tomorrow. I've actually gotten a lot done, so yay for that.