Wedding Reception Forum

How to honor single friends at your wedding?

Nearly 1/3 to 1/2 of my wedding guests will be single. My singles' group has been among my biggest friends and supporters over the years, and I want to do something to honor them at my reception. But I am not finding many ideas anywhere - most wedding traditions do things to honor long-married couples, and the bouquet/garter toss is usually hated by singles. I'm not trying to point out how single they are, but I wanted to do something for them special, just like we honor our married couples. Any ideas?

Answers

• MRDCle said:
    My only thoughts would be to play a song that is meaningful to your friends group or be sure to gather them all together at a point to take a photo. I don't think it needs to extend past that. 
    I think asking your band/DJ to play songs your friends love is a great idea--we did this for a friend who loves Rocky Horror by playing Time Warp, and a bunch of people had fun getting up and dancing to it!  I would definitely avoid having an emcee get up and scream, "This one's for all the singles!"  Weddings can bring up strong emotions for everyone, and the last thing anyone wants is to be called out on the fact that they haven't found their other half yet, whether they're looking or not.  
  • Please don’t. Honestly I’d hate you forever. 
  • missfrodo said:
    MRDCle said:
    My only thoughts would be to play a song that is meaningful to your friends group or be sure to gather them all together at a point to take a photo. I don't think it needs to extend past that. 
    I think asking your band/DJ to play songs your friends love is a great idea--we did this for a friend who loves Rocky Horror by playing Time Warp, and a bunch of people had fun getting up and dancing to it!  I would definitely avoid having an emcee get up and scream, "This one's for all the singles!"  Weddings can bring up strong emotions for everyone, and the last thing anyone wants is to be called out on the fact that they haven't found their other half yet, whether they're looking or not.  
    Oh yeah good point - absolutely NOT calling out that it’s for a group a single people. I assume if a song is special for the friend group, they’ll know to get up and dance when it starts!
  • To be honest, I would suggest not "honoring" the marital statuses of your guests with special dances or recognition. Treat them all equally without gestures that distinguish between guests based on their marital status. They're unnecessary and can be unintentionally hurtful. Not to mention, those people might not want to be "honored" with any kind of spotlight gesture for whatever reason.
  • Play songs your friends love, allow them to bring a guest or +1, sit them together or with other fun singles and have an open bar. Those are all things I appreciated when I was single at weddings. Take a silly picture as a group. Skip the garter/bouquet toss and anniversary dance. 
  • Play single ladies
  •