Wedding Party

Sub Zero Outdoor Pics - Help!

Hello knotties!

I’m looking for some advice about a wedding I’m going to be in next week. I am a bridesmaid in my good friend’s wedding, and even though temps have been and according to the forecast will continue to be around 0 and below with windchill, the bride insists on taking outdoor photos. Wahh!

Our dress is strapless, and it’s unclear whether my friend will be gifting us any sort of wrap or stole, but even assuming she is, I think it’s a little crazy to expect us to stand outside for three (yes three) hours for pictures before the ceremony. Popping outside for a shot or two in the snow would be one thing, but the plan for the full three hours is to take pics in one outdoor location. 

What would you do? Part of me thinks she’s my friend and it’s her wedding day so I should smile and bear it, but the other part thinks I don’t want pneumonia! Realistically, what are my options? And yes, definitely planning to take a coat for in between pictures along with hand warmers, leggings for under the long dress, etc. 

HELP!

Re: Sub Zero Outdoor Pics - Help!

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    edited January 2018
  • Oh my gosh I'm sorry your friend is so inconsiderate. My cousin got married a couple days before Christmas several years ago in Wisconsin. We got a snowstorm so bad that flights were cancelled for a couple days. This was not at all unusual for that time of year, and his wife still wanted pictures of the WP outside. She gifted them some of those little fur wraps but expected them to be outside for quite a while. One of his sisters got sick, their dresses got wet (and then heavy, not a good thing for strapless lol), and they're all still kind of mad about it. This was like almost 10 years ago. 

I would show up in a winter coat, hat, mittens, boots and tell her if she wants pictures outside that's the only way she's going to get them. I would also do what @banana468 suggested and bring up the facts about being outside in those temperatures. In some parts of the country, they close or delay school for those temps so that the children stay safe waiting for the bus. To me, that means no one needs to be outside for any sustained period of time. 
  • My point about presenting the facts is to basically say that I'm not putting myself in danger because my friend wants photos.  She can then look at the facts and decide for herself if it's worth it.   Even if I had a hat, mittens and a parka on, I'd top my time outside at 5 minutes.   

My health is more important than a photo.   A good friend would put my health and not a photo op as the priority.   @STARMOON44 is also correct.    She can't force you to be out there. 
  • My sister got married two days before New Years, in Buffalo. The weather was unseasonably warm (around 30 degrees) and we still didn't do pictures outside. She and her now-H did, but we all stayed in the limo with champagne. My point: this is completely unreasonable and had my sister suggested it I would have told her she was crazy. 

Like PPs said, tell her clearly how cold it will be, and then do what you're okay with. 
  • Ok, I’m glad to hear I’m not being a bad friend if I say no! I’ll pribably just bring my full winter garb and if she insists we take pics outside insist that I keep it on expect for maybe one or two quick shots. I definitely don’t want to end up sick! I can only imagine the other girls in the bridal party feel the same!
  • Ditto PPs. Please come back and update us. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited January 2018
    Ah!  Yet another bride whose "wedding vision" bears no resemblance to reality.  Is she related to our current President?
    ;)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • The only thing you can "Catch" from being outside that long without proper attire is frostbite, js.  Explain "There's a time for fashion and a time for Carhartt, these temps are Carhartt!" The good news is the photographer's battery won't last three hours outside in these temps.  

One has to wonder if she's going to gift you a peacoat or the like expecting you to be outside that long.  I've got a friend who officiated at his nephew's wedding last weekend and the bride did some outdoor pics, but they were VERY quickly done.  Hope for a blizzard because the pictures outside won't happen if there's too much snow!
  • Hmmm...I remember when the wedding photos were of the actual WEDDING.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Haha, my H and I did this. We live in Alaska. It was close to zero or below when we got married. We wore down coats out, took them off real quick for a photo or two, put them back on, and then did it all again. 

That said, we did not have our bridal party outside doing it as well. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Hmmm...I remember when the wedding photos were of the actual WEDDING.
    Really?  It's not uncommon to hear about houses of worship that refused to allow photography.
  • banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    Really?  It's not uncommon to hear about houses of worship that refused to allow photography.
    In the USA?  I know that it is not allowed in the UK. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It wasn't my rule but it happened when I was planning my wedding to hear some brides say that their venue had restrictions - point being that plenty of people who had wedding photos had some that may have not just been of the ceremony.

That said, it's absurd to ask people to pose in weather that's unhealthy.   It was 100 degrees on our wedding day and we held off on photos until evening so we didn't pass out. 

• banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    My former parish Pastor had some restrictions but I have not heard of complete photography refusal.  Photography during the Consecration and Communion were never allowed when he was Pastor.  Photographers were shown "spots" from which they could take photos during Mass and could not stray from those points.

I also know that in Chicago, some people use Holy Name Cathedral more as a venue than house of worship.  I believe they have a list of approved photographers that must be used if pictures will be taken during the ceremony.  These photographers are familiar with church decorum and will be respectful.
  • MobKaz said:

banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    My former parish Pastor had some restrictions but I have not heard of complete photography refusal.  Photography during the Consecration and Communion were never allowed when he was Pastor.  Photographers were shown "spots" from which they could take photos during Mass and could not stray from those points.

I also know that in Chicago, some people use Holy Name Cathedral more as a venue than house of worship.  I believe they have a list of approved photographers that must be used if pictures will be taken during the ceremony.  These photographers are familiar with church decorum and will be respectful.
    The church where I was married (in NC) doesn't allow photography during the ceremony. Our photographer did take a photo from the very back of the church without flash and apparently that was ok. DD was married at a Catholic Church in Chicago and photography wasn't allowed during the ceremony except from the balcony (again no flash) and only by approved photographers. It wasn't Holy Name Cathedral though.
  • I think you and the other wedding party members need to put your feet down and let the bride know that standing outdoors for photos in below 0 weather, especially in strapless dresses, ain't going to fly. She needs to find an indoor, heated place to take those photos or skip this altogether.

• Another vote for flat out no without appropriate clothes provided / "allowed".  I have a friend who got married in Ohio around Christmas.  Their bridal party pics had the women in peacoats and appropriate accessories with their dresses.  There was no snow on the ground, though, and it didn't appear to be miserable like OP is describing.   
  • @SoonToBeSmith0512
    Please provide updates!! :-D