Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rehearsal dinner invites...?

I never heard of physical invites for rehearsal dinners--- is it terrible if I send an evite for this? I did not budget for rehearsal dinner invites. 

Re: Rehearsal dinner invites...?

• I have been to several rehearsal dinners and have never received an invitation to one.   We didn't use invitations to ours either.   Unless your event is super formal I think you're fine.
  • Its definitely not super formal at all. ok good thank you !
  • H and I had our guests back to our place for pizza and wine...we just texted everyone.  Unless it’s a super formal RD I don’t think a printed invitation is expected.
  • If your rehearsal dinner will be informal, then I don't see any reason you can't use an Evite. If it's formal, then you'd need a formally worded, printed invitation.
  • We did invites for the RD just so I didn't have to remember who all to give the same info to.  It made it much easier to have them sent out 2 weeks before the wedding.  I spent maybe $20 on the whole thing.

• I've never received a formal invite to rehearsal dinner, they were always verbal or via text/email. Or in some cases both, the text/email would be more confirming location, times and any necessary "need to know" things {dress code, reservation name, parking, etc}
  • IMO, it depends on the formality of the event. It would be weird to receive an evite for a formal dinner. If you're doing something really casual, I think an evite is fine as long as everyone has email.
    *********************************************************************************

• We did real invites for ours. I think it was about 15 invites, because we had roughly 30 people at the dinner.  It wasn't expensive--maybe $30 total to order the invites and the postage to send them?
  • I actually saw recently some invites that you can personalize from the dollar store. They were pretty nice actually
  • IMO, it depends on the formality of the event. It would be weird to receive an evite for a formal dinner. If you're doing something really casual, I think an evite is fine as long as everyone has email.

Do you consider the typical RD in a private room at a nice-ish restaurant with wine & alcohol to be a "formal dinner" or "really casual"? I feel like there's a lot of in between there.

We personally would like to eliminate most unnecessary paper waste (FI works for an environmental company), so we're only doing wedding invites, and doing STDs, RSVPs, and all ancillary events via email or e-vite. Our RD is like the one I described above. 
  • I am not a fan of Evites.  Most rehearsal dinners are informal, and invitations are by word of mouth.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We did real invites, and stuck them in when we mailed out the wedding invitations (I know this is not 100% etiquette approved). The cost wasn't substantial, it didn't add anything to our postage, and my family isn't used to being invited to RDs, so we wanted to make sure they knew all OOT family was invited. Plus my ILs were hosting and wanted a physical invite to be sent. When I've been in weddings in the past, we've gotten the RD info via email or text, and I wasn't offended. 

Do you consider the typical RD in a private room at a nice-ish restaurant with wine & alcohol to be a "formal dinner" or "really casual"? I feel like there's a lot of in between there.

We personally would like to eliminate most unnecessary paper waste (FI works for an environmental company), so we're only doing wedding invites, and doing STDs, RSVPs, and all ancillary events via email or e-vite. Our RD is like the one I described above. 
    To me, it would depend on the restaurant. A pizza parlor? Casual. A chop house or upscale restaurant? More formal. IDK what "nice-ish" would mean....it's really a just a judgement call. If you're questioning the decision, I don't think you can go wrong with written invites. And they're not that expensive on VistaPrint.
    *********************************************************************************

To me, it would depend on the restaurant. A pizza parlor? Casual. A chop house or upscale restaurant? More formal. IDK what "nice-ish" would mean....it's really a just a judgement call. If you're questioning the decision, I don't think you can go wrong with written invites. And they're not that expensive on VistaPrint.
    If you need to know an exact head count, I'd do some kind of invite (an evite if you're fine with that, and can telephone those who don't respond). If you don't need a head count, word of mouth is fine. 
  • Thanks everyone--it will be at a restaurant ,  since the only people going are family or close friends in the bridal party I think I will do word of mouth .