Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Please scilence your cell phones

So I have read a couple posts on here about this topic but couldn't quite find a clear answer to my question. My mom is being instant on wanting to tell people to silence their cell phones during the ceremony. The ceremony will be outside and my Uncle, who is a pastor, will be officiating but it won't be a religious ceremony. She wants to have him make an announcement prior to the start of the ceremony. We are not doing programs so putting a small line in there isn't an option. She did say she would be okay with a sign near where the ceremony will take place. Have other people done this or seen it done? Would you be okay with either of these options or find it odd?

Re: Please scilence your cell phones

• Yes, I've seen a sign done and I thought it was rude. You need to trust that adults know how to behave in a serious setting. 
  • Go with a quick announcement at the beginning. The sign is too much.
  • I never have an issue with a quick reminder from the officiant. ("We are so pleased to see all of you here today. If you haven't already, please silence your cell phone before we get started...."

The signs are too much - it implies you don't think people are gracious enough to do this. The verbal note is a soft reminder. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Agree with all PPs and I posted this question prior to my wedding, the officiant made a quick announcement before he got started and all was well. 
  • A quick announcement at the beginning of the ceremony would be fine.
  • Thank you all for your input. I just wasn't really about the idea of an announcement, having never seen it done. @southernbelle0915 thanks for the example wording. The quick announcement before the start seems to be the way to go.
  • I don't see anything wrong with making an announcement. Some people just forget or have multiple kids to watch. I wouldn't consider it rude at all
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    An announcement made by the officiant- fine.
    Something written when I arrive at the ceremony (in the program/on a sign)- annoying
    Something written months before on the wedding website when I first receive the STD- sit down and stop you're making me consider not attending your wedding 

*NOT saying you're doing this OP, but I just had the third experience a few weeks ago and I'm still pissed  :s
  • Our celebrant made a similar announcement.  I do think a sign is rude though.

• eileenrob said:

Something written when I arrive at the ceremony (in the program/on a sign)- annoying
    Something written months before on the wedding website when I first receive the STD- sit down and stop you're making me consider not attending your wedding 

*NOT saying you're doing this OP, but I just had the third experience a few weeks ago and I'm still pissed  :s

A friend posted on facebook that she got all of her ceremony signs and one of them is telling people they can't take pictures until after the first dance is done. I just didn't comment because I don't want to deal with all the "it's her day!~!~!" comments from the peanut gallery.

• eileenrob said:

A friend posted on facebook that she got all of her ceremony signs and one of them is telling people they can't take pictures until after the first dance is done. I just didn't comment because I don't want to deal with all the "it's her day!~!~!" comments from the peanut gallery.

I hope her pro photographer doesn't crash her computer or just get bitchy and run away with the ONLY photos of the day.

• adk19 said:

eileenrob said:

I hope her pro photographer doesn't crash her computer or just get bitchy and run away with the ONLY photos of the day.

I kind of am expecting a giant meltdown afterwards, since her photographer is definitely not a pro. Maybe an amateur hobbyist hoping to go pro one day, but wedding photography (and photography in general) isn't their full time job. 

I am going to suggest not using them for that reason alone (because the whole "it's rude, you're guests are smart enough to figure out when to take a picture and when not to" will fall flat for sure) and leave it at that. I'd hate for that to happen to her, she's sweet, just caught up in the ridiculous expectations some people place on weddings. 

She also posted a rant about how terrible of a "best" friend her MOH is because she wasn't feeling well and don't go to their flower and flip flop assembling "party".

• adk19 said:

eileenrob said:

I kind of am expecting a giant meltdown afterwards, since her photographer is definitely not a pro. Maybe an amateur hobbyist hoping to go pro one day, but wedding photography (and photography in general) isn't their full time job. 

I am going to suggest not using them for that reason alone (because the whole "it's rude, you're guests are smart enough to figure out when to take a picture and when not to" will fall flat for sure) and leave it at that. I'd hate for that to happen to her, she's sweet, just caught up in the ridiculous expectations some people place on weddings. 

She also posted a rant about how terrible of a "best" friend her MOH is because she wasn't feeling well and don't go to their flower and flip flop assembling "party".

Oh, I don't know. Being upset about your MOH not coming and thinking it's part of being a good friend? Wrong, and self-centered, but could just be ascribed to being too caught up in BS wedding expectations.

Posting a public rant about how terrible a friend is? Just being an awful person, IMO.

• adk19 said:

eileenrob said:

Oh, I don't know. Being upset about your MOH not coming and thinking it's part of being a good friend? Wrong, and self-centered, but could just be ascribed to being too caught up in BS wedding expectations.

Posting a public rant about how terrible a friend is? Just being an awful person, IMO.

Totally agree, though she did keep her complaining to our private fb group (has ~30 people in it) so no one on her feed or who knows any of them directly saw her rant. I just hope she kept her disappointment reasonable and to our group.

• adk19 said:

eileenrob said:

Totally agree, though she did keep her complaining to our private fb group (has ~30 people in it) so no one on her feed or who knows any of them directly saw her rant. I just hope she kept her disappointment reasonable and to our group.

Are all the other members of the group likely to take her side and trash you, or are any of them likely to take your side and tell her to put a sock in it?

• Jen4948 said:

adk19 said:

eileenrob said:

Are all the other members of the group likely to take her side and trash you, or are any of them likely to take your side and tell her to put a sock in it?

Most definitely would tell me just how wrong I am. Another member is also getting married and posted some succulent pots that said "Thank you for being my Bridesmaid" from etsy, asking for our opinions. I was v polite in my sharing of the thought that gifts should be personal and unrelated to the wedding and I'd only consider that if one or everyone loves succulents and she'd get them as a gift for any occasion, not just her wedding. Everyone else went with "Those are so cute!"

A couple or few had total PPDs multiple years after actually getting married and they constantly talk about bridesmaids duties and "It's your day!" so I'm p sure I'd get scolded and my opinions on proper etiquette shit all over.
  • Just a quick announcement at the beginning.
  • Maybe you can address that on the invitation 
  • Maybe you can address that on the invitation 
    Nope.  The invitation is not the place to address this. The appropriate thing to do is let the officiant make a quick announcement and/or make a short one in a program.

In any case, this is a very old thread. Please start a new one rather than reopening one that's six months old.
  • edited January 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards