Wedding Woes

It's only been 6 months...

Dear Prudence,

I’m in a six-month relationship with an amazing guy. He’s kind, generous, funny, and supportive, and we click on all levels. He treats me better than any man who ever said he loved me—but he’s not ready to say it yet. I’ve said it already, and I don’t regret saying it because I know I mean it. He says he feels the same thing I do but isn’t ready to call it love—he wants to wait until we’re further down the line toward commitment before saying it. His only other relationship lasted for six years and ended badly, so he’s very cautious this time around. He also wants to wait until he knows where his job will be and where he’ll be living.

I know this is something you can’t force, but it’s really bothering me. I have absolutely no complaints about how he treats me. That’s why I want to tell him I love him practically all the time! But I have to hold back because I know not hearing it back will hurt. I also don’t understand why outside factors like where he’ll be living would influence how he feels about me in the first place. How do I process this and not fixate on it but allow myself to be happy with someone who clearly cares deeply about me, even if he can’t say the same words I do? And is there a time limit by which he should say it? I’m just so worried he’ll never say it at all.
—Three Little Words

Re: It's only been 6 months...

• I’d leave. I’m looking for someone who is excited about me and shares that in the way I do. Nothing wrong with not being ready to say I love you, but it also doesn’t work for me. 
  • Honestly I find it hard to see what I'd do. At least he's honest and admits he feels the same but isn't ready to say it.

I've been in a similar situation, only I didn't entirely feel it but I still said it. It wasn't I didn't care about the guy, there was just other things.
  • I kind of like the guy, honestly. He's communicating openly and honestly with her. He treats her really well. 

I agree that his living situation and job have nothing to do with saying "I love you" but it sounds like LW is mixing conversations about saying I love you with conversations they've had about their relationship and the future. 

LW sounds really starry eyed and impatient to me. Chill and recognize that 6 months isn't that long if this is going to be a long-term thing. 

I'm with you.  I think he's probably hesitant to get too serious until he has his work/life situation figured out and that's okay too.

According to her post, he treats her well, cares for her, and wants to be with her.  Some things take more time for some people than others.
  • I think LW needs to chill. 1) six months isn't that long. 2) he's being clear about why he isn't using those words yet. 3) there are no other problems in the relationship. 4) again, it's been six months. 

But I also don't think LW should hold back saying it if she feels it. If she no longer wants to, fine. But you don't have to feel the same feelings as someone else at the same time. 
  • I also think the LW needs to chill and be more patient.

A problem with the word "love" is that it is a pretty ambiguous term.  He might have even STRONGER feelings for her.  But doesn't say it back because his definition of love is at a much higher bar than hers is.

I don't think I ever told someone I loved them within the first 6 months of a relationship.  I don't think that is usually long enough to know...by my personal definition.

This was one of my "love tests", lol.  Could I name a few things I didn't like about the guy?  If my answer to myself was along the lines of, "No!  He's the greatest and the best ever.  I can't think of one thing that isn't perfect,"...then it definitely wasn't love, lol!  It was still infatuation and obviously I didn't know him well enough to potentially love him because nobody's perfect. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel a lot of sympathy for the guy, actually.  Six years isn't OMGFOREVER, but you don't stick around that long and not feel a bit of a shock when it's over, no how "over" goes down. 

He's being clear and honest with her.  And he's allowed to have his feelings and work through his baggage to try and keep their relationship going (since it doesn't seem like he's leaving).

She's allowed to think that's not enough and leave, but I think she's wanting validation to try and force him into saying it, and that's not okay.