Attire & Accessories Forum

Cathedral train and what length veil

Hello ! I have been planning since 2016 and my wedding year is finally here yall. I am SOOOO excited. 

My dress has a cathedral length train and I was wondering if a chapel length veil would look ok with it...I am also 5 foot 1 and am worried about looking like a walking spool . 

Re: Cathedral train and what length veil

• I would do some googling or Pinterest searching or "cathedral train" and see what comes up of veils worn with that length of train. I did that and saw most commonly no veil, fingertip or a veil as long as the train. 
  • I wore a cathedral length train and cathedral length veil for my wedding some 30+ years ago. I agree with @lovesclimbing either that or a fingertip would look best. A chapel length would cut the train in a funny place.
  • I had a cathedral length train and went with a fingertip veil.  Cathedral + cathedral ended up looking a little more dramatic than I had in mind.  I’m also short and it seemed like a lot of fabric- the models sporting C + C are all so tall everything looked flowy and graceful on them and that didn’t translate on me.  

I zoomed in a bit for privacy so you don’t get the full train but here’s an idea of how cathedral train and fingertip veil look together...don’t mind my alabaster pale arms (in hindsight I should’ve went tanning).  Good luck! :) 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    You should go and try on different lengths of veils with the dress to see what appeals to you.  A real cathedral train is a lot of fabric!  You could do a shorter veil, like a fingertip length, and let the dress train show more.  I don't think a chapel length veil would work well with the dress train being so long.

Image result for image wedding dress cathedral train
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited January 2018
    Aren't you the bride who is planning two weddings?  I thought your ceremonies were going to be "intimate and personal".  Why would you wear a dress with a cathedral train to a casual ceremony?  It doesn't add up!  Cathedral trains are only for very formal weddings, and certainly not a PPD fake wedding.

Image result for image wedding Princess Diana
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain uhm no. Wrong person.  I have 120 people coming, I don't even know what a PPD wedding is, and I am definitely not having two weddings. Regardless, I don't think you need to come off that way to people, especially when you aren't sure if you're speaking to the right person and the post doesn't ask about  appropriate dress style for a venue. 

My wedding is certainly not black tie but it is cocktail attire. 

I did not try a fingertip veil , I tried cathedral and chapel , the one chapel looked good but I think because of my height fingertip would be better. 

My dress goes very well with my venue, and I don't think cathedral length trains are only for very very formal weddings. My dress length is just like @eileenrob
  • Since you're petite, you might want to keep it simple. I like this veil because it doesn't compete with the dress or overwhelm the bride. Fingertip length would be nice, too.  It's not necessary for the veil to be as long as your train.

@eileenrob Wow, your dress is gorgeous and that veil is perfect with it.

• eileenrob said:
    I had a cathedral length train and went with a fingertip veil.  Cathedral + cathedral ended up looking a little more dramatic than I had in mind.  I’m also short and it seemed like a lot of fabric- the models sporting C + C are all so tall everything looked flowy and graceful on them and that didn’t translate on me.  

I zoomed in a bit for privacy so you don’t get the full train but here’s an idea of how cathedral train and fingertip veil look together...don’t mind my alabaster pale arms (in hindsight I should’ve went tanning).  Good luck! :) 

My cathedral veil had a similar trim to it! My dress was satin with lace edge and none on the dress itself. Your veil looks beautiful with your dress too! My DD wore my veil at her wedding. Since her dress didn't have much of a train, the veil was her train. I'm biased, but thought she was beautiful!
  • @CMGragain uhm no. Wrong person.  I have 120 people coming, I don't even know what a PPD wedding is, and I am definitely not having two weddings. Regardless, I don't think you need to come off that way to people, especially when you aren't sure if you're speaking to the right person and the post doesn't ask about  appropriate dress style for a venue. 

My wedding is certainly not black tie but it is cocktail attire. 

I did not try a fingertip veil , I tried cathedral and chapel , the one chapel looked good but I think because of my height fingertip would be better. 

My dress goes very well with my venue, and I don't think cathedral length trains are only for very very formal weddings. My dress length is just like @eileenrob
    Sorry.  My internet connection went down last night for hours, so I couldn't apologize earlier.  Why not get a recognizable name so this doesn't happen again?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • shoogarooshoogaroo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2018
    My profile won't let me edit for some odd reason. I can only click preferences and nothing else. .@cmgragain

@KnotHolly

edited January 2018
    Go up to Knot Technical Help for some hints.  We want to be able to recognize you!  Any of you other ladies know how to do this?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited January 2018
    My profile won't let me edit for some odd reason. I can only click preferences and nothing else. .@cmgragain

@KnotHolly

Hi new bride - I have posted this on the report board so KnotHolly will know you need technical help. I don't know if the info on the tech help board is current, unfortunately. Thank you, in advance, for choosing a screen name.

Congratulations on your engagement. Welcome to The Knot.

• Thank you . I also have to constantly log in and often can't log in ..
  • My recommendation is to try a few different lengths on with your dress and decide what you like the look of ON YOU.  You may decide on a shoulder length or you may decide on a Cathedral with a blusher with the Cathedral coming off at the end of the ceremony.  That's what I ultimately chose to do.  That said, do not fall for the bridal shop markup, Tulle is cheap by the yard and unless you're choosing something with a real intricate edging (and even then), DIY wins the day (my Cathedral was literally a piece of 108" tulle edged by the serger held on by three bobby pins tied on by fish line - looked amazing! and less than $20 after coupon) on veils or there are many retailers(many craft stores sell them) and online who sell them reasonably once you decide on the length.
  • Thank you . I also have to constantly log in and often can't log in ..
    Welcome to the club. This is a long running problem for many posters. 

Sometimes if you refresh your screen, or just move onto another board, you will get logged in again. 

• @MesmrEwe My sister offered to make it! I think I will do a simple tulle veil so I do not take away from the detail on my dress 

• edited January 2018
    @Knottie1474162374 Try this:

Type TheKnot.com into your browser address bar
    Select Account Settings
    Select Profile

You 'should' be able to edit your screen name from there. 

• hi ---- @MairePoppy I changed it on there already but it is not showing up on the community dashboard? ?