Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Processional Music Help!

Hi there! I am getting married on 3/3/18 and am currently having some issues with the music. I am a huge classical music fan, but my fiance is not. I really want to walk to Jesu Man of Joy's Desiring by Bach. We have a live trio (flute, guitar, cello) playing the ceremony music. I want him to be happy with the music as well, but does anyone have suggestions for pieces that go nicely with the piece by Bach? I think he would be okay with classical, as long as it's not super light and airy sounding. Unfortunately, that's all I really know! The trio is happy to arrange anything we want, so we have options. Any suggestions are appreciated, classical or not! Thanks! 

Re: Processional Music Help!

• Your best resource is your musicians, who probably have some great ideas to go along with Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring.  The trio can probably also play most anything, so if there are other love songs or special movie themes you like, they could probably make those sound beautiful.  A few wedding songs I like are:  Ariosa in A     Bach, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paginini      Rachmaninoff,  Claire de Lune      Debussey,    Sheep May Safely Graze    Bach,    Air     Bach,  Ode to Joy     Beethoven, Forrest Gump Theme     Alan Silvestri, A River Flows in You     Yiruma

There are lots of playlists on spotify and other sources if you want more ideas.  By the way, I was just at a wedding that the entire prelude was music from Harry Potter!  (perfect for them)  

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    My daughter had a harpist play at her wedding.  Your musicians could play similar selections.
    Pachelbel, Canon in D (of course!)
    O Waly Waly ("The Water is Wide")
    "Be Thou my Vision", church hymnal
    The Ash Grove
    O, Danny Boy
    Copeland, Theme from Appalachian Spring (Lord of the Dance in some church hymnals)

With a small ensemble like this, you need to choose music that was written for smaller instrumental groups.  Most classical organ music would work, but your musicians would need an arrangement.  Ask them what they have.  I was a church organist for 18 years, as well as a music teacher.  It was always discouraging when a couple would ask me to play some modern rock song on the classical organ.  Nope.  Not available.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg