Wedding Woes
Options

Oh LW, this guy is the worst.

Dear Prudence,
I have been friends with a law school classmate since the beginning of the fall. I have Asperger’s and I am deaf, so it can be a bit rough for me to make friends. I am also a private person, which I know some people in my class find “cold and snobbish.” Apart from casual everyday niceties, I stopped trying to make friends, but this particular classmate appeared to be an exception to the rule, and I was glad to have someone to talk to. I liked him and was able to be very straightforward with him. During winter break, he said something odd—he suggested that that we should “stay in bed, reading, in a nonsexual way, together.” He said some other things that also struck me as inappropriate. I am fond of him as a friend, but this looked like a red flag to me. I said nothing, thinking it was a temporary moment of insanity.

Then he asked me if we could get a drink together. I told him I wasn’t free, and he then asked me repeatedly “who [I] was with” over the next 36 hours. I didn’t answer, as I did not consider that his business. I finally told him to stop. Then he told me I was being inconsiderate and secretive, and that I was behaving “dreadfully” and “crass.” My best friend and my mother told me he had clearly overstepped major boundaries. I am completely astounded and hurt. Am I right to feel this way? What should I do?
—Is This for Real?

Re: Oh LW, this guy is the worst.

• Options
    Cut your losses, he's a weirdo. 

• Options
    Guy gets turned down for a date and then repeatedly asks the person who they're with for the next 2 days? Boy bye. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Sounds like this person also has issues, and/or is asexual and unaware how to approach people about it.

But honestly, if LW is uncomfortable they should just distance themselves.
  • Options
    YES, LW is right to feel this way.  Nothing about LW justifies being treated horribly by anyone.

Block his number.  Use your newfound experience of something that at least went well for a little while to maybe try again.