Options

Thursday

2»

Re: Thursday

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2018
    Maybe because I'm from a cold climate area where watermains regularly burst and power goes out on the regular, but we were taught from a very young age what to do if the house goes below a certain temperature, or the water pressure. I even know how to heat pipes if there's no power. 

I'm sorry but if you live on your own, there are things that you need to learn, what to do in emergencies, and what to do when you go on vacation are just a couple of them. Why didn't they have someone checking on their apartment while they were gone? Also, don't they have tenant's insurance? 
    I seriously wish there was a course for first time home owners. I found out 2 years after living in my house that my furnace needed a filter change.  It just never occurred to me.  I never had to deal with furnaces in apartments. 
    I had to take a first time home buyers course to get an FHA loan with a free 3% down payment when I purchased my first house, but they only talked about managing finances.  Nothing about actual home maintenance. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    @short+sassy I thought of you when I saw a friend post this on FB. 

"Being a landlord is not fun when you have tenants who are book smart but not life smart....who SHUTS OFF the heat in the winter for 2 weeks away? Two tenants in our apartment building shut it off completely and not only did the supply lines freeze, the kitchen sink faucet in one apartment exploded, toilets in both apts were frozen solid blocks of ice and both need to be replaces, and the tub plumbing is totally busted and needs to be replaced. One tenant asks if our insurance will cover his water damaged stuff. These are Ivy League grad students....supposedly some of the smartest people and both grew up in New England. Clearly the school didn't screen for common sense"
    People who aren’t from cold climates! Pot kettle whiny landlord, what responsible landlord doesn’t send out an email instructing people to leave the heat on at 66 or whatever if they are traveling over the holidays? Every place I’ve lived has!
    And plenty of people may not have lived on their own until they hit grad school.

I  lived with my parents until I was 18, then lived in college dorms for four years (never in an apt) and only when I was 22 did I have my first apartment.

For the first 18 years of my life I thought my punishment was either death or hand loss for touching the thermostat.   You just didn't touch it.   The general theme was put on another sweater in winter or fewer clothes in the summer.  

I know now that I'm an adult about pipe freezing but it can be one of those things that you just don't learn.
    Maybe because I'm from a cold climate area where watermains regularly burst and power goes out on the regular, but we were taught from a very young age what to do if the house goes below a certain temperature, or the water pressure. I even know how to heat pipes if there's no power. 

I'm sorry but if you live on your own, there are things that you need to learn, what to do in emergencies, and what to do when you go on vacation are just a couple of them. Why didn't they have someone checking on their apartment while they were gone? Also, don't they have tenant's insurance? 
    I would never have someone checking my apartment when I’m on vacation! That’s a really strange expectation to me. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

"Being a landlord is not fun when you have tenants who are book smart but not life smart....who SHUTS OFF the heat in the winter for 2 weeks away? Two tenants in our apartment building shut it off completely and not only did the supply lines freeze, the kitchen sink faucet in one apartment exploded, toilets in both apts were frozen solid blocks of ice and both need to be replaces, and the tub plumbing is totally busted and needs to be replaced. One tenant asks if our insurance will cover his water damaged stuff. These are Ivy League grad students....supposedly some of the smartest people and both grew up in New England. Clearly the school didn't screen for common sense"
    People who aren’t from cold climates! Pot kettle whiny landlord, what responsible landlord doesn’t send out an email instructing people to leave the heat on at 66 or whatever if they are traveling over the holidays? Every place I’ve lived has!
    And plenty of people may not have lived on their own until they hit grad school.

I  lived with my parents until I was 18, then lived in college dorms for four years (never in an apt) and only when I was 22 did I have my first apartment.

For the first 18 years of my life I thought my punishment was either death or hand loss for touching the thermostat.   You just didn't touch it.   The general theme was put on another sweater in winter or fewer clothes in the summer.  

I know now that I'm an adult about pipe freezing but it can be one of those things that you just don't learn.

I would never have someone checking my apartment when I’m on vacation! That’s a really strange expectation to me. 
    I've always had someone check on my apartment when I've gone out of town. Or at least go in and turn on the lights in different rooms, and then turn them off (I couldn't afford timers, I was a student). I also wanted it to look like someone was actually around, going in and out. For me, it was just common sense. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

When you rent from someone half of that is trusting that the interior of the building is not your responsibility and your landlord handles some of that.  It's a tricky line but when things like my refrigerator started to not work, I didn't try to remedy it.   I told the landlord and she opted to get me a new fridge.    This complaint is from a landlord who hand tenants that allowed the pipes to freeze.  The tenant is not under an obligation to know how to thaw pipes IMO.  The landlord can instruct the tenant especially if the pipe freeze is a result of the tenant's actions.   Furthermore the landlord has a vested interest in his/her property and therefore a bit more communication would benefit the landlord so s/he can avoid this situation in the future.

When I had my second apartment with electric heat she actually advised that I turn the heat down when I wasn't there because electric heat is really really really expensive.  In CT our electric rates are still about double the national average.   You walk a fine line ensuring that you stay comfortable while also not bleeding money out of your eyes.    

I have gone on vacations multiple times and not one of those times did I have someone check on my home or apartment.   I just didn't.   Had I taken a leave that would extend more than 2 weeks maybe I would consider it but it's not a vacation I've ever taken. 

Also, rental insurance is something plenty of people don't get.  When I was in college we had to be advised that the university wasn't protecting our property if the building caught fire or if there was a break in.   Only in my second apartment did I get rental insurance.   It's not a requirement to get rental insurance like it is to get homeowner's insurance when getting a mortgage. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

When you rent from someone half of that is trusting that the interior of the building is not your responsibility and your landlord handles some of that.  It's a tricky line but when things like my refrigerator started to not work, I didn't try to remedy it.   I told the landlord and she opted to get me a new fridge.    This complaint is from a landlord who hand tenants that allowed the pipes to freeze.  The tenant is not under an obligation to know how to thaw pipes IMO.  The landlord can instruct the tenant especially if the pipe freeze is a result of the tenant's actions.   Furthermore the landlord has a vested interest in his/her property and therefore a bit more communication would benefit the landlord so s/he can avoid this situation in the future.

When I had my second apartment with electric heat she actually advised that I turn the heat down when I wasn't there because electric heat is really really really expensive.  In CT our electric rates are still about double the national average.   You walk a fine line ensuring that you stay comfortable while also not bleeding money out of your eyes.    

I have gone on vacations multiple times and not one of those times did I have someone check on my home or apartment.   I just didn't.   Had I taken a leave that would extend more than 2 weeks maybe I would consider it but it's not a vacation I've ever taken. 

Also, rental insurance is something plenty of people don't get.  When I was in college we had to be advised that the university wasn't protecting our property if the building caught fire or if there was a break in.   Only in my second apartment did I get rental insurance.   It's not a requirement to get rental insurance like it is to get homeowner's insurance when getting a mortgage. 
    Where I am, more and more landlords are requiring renter's insurance as part of the rental agreement. To be honest, it's worth the money you pay out if something ever happens. 
  • Options

booooo @mrsconn23

Nothing much today.  It's gloomy and DH is meeting friends after work.

Funeral tomorrow is casual- jeans and t-shirts.  My brain has a hard time comprehending this.  I barely wear jeans to church.  It's what they asked for though.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

It is a requirement at the complex where DS2 lives. I was glad they required that even though he said he had planned on getting it. H and I didn't have renters insurance when we lived in an apartment. I think it is a smart thing to do.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

It is a requirement at the complex where DS2 lives. I was glad they required that even though he said he had planned on getting it. H and I didn't have renters insurance when we lived in an apartment. I think it is a smart thing to do.
    Yup, ours too. We had to have it in place within 10 days of signing the lease. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

There's a whole post right now on the real estate investing forum I frequent, that is people chiming in with how the cold weather has affected their properties.  Many stories, similar to your friend's.  That toilet bowl water can completely freeze was a surprise to me reading those other posts!

I actually have it in my leases that tenant's are responsible for plumbing repairs, if the damage is caused by their actions.  I include examples and one of them is to leave faucets slightly dripping, if weather is going to drop below freezing, so the pipes don't burst.  It actually didn't occur to me to mention leaving heat on at a low level, if they will be away from home for a long time.  That's a good addition to that section!  I'm making a note to myself to add that to my lease template.

With that said, I'll also send an e-mail and/or text when these conditions might be happening.  Because, let's face it, nobody scours over their lease on a regular basis, lol.  Plus, low enough temps to affect plumbing aren't the "norm" in NOLA anyway.  Even smart tenants with good common sense can use those reminders out here!  Alas, your FB friend had to live and learn the hard way.  I've certainly had my own "teachable" moments in my landlording career, that were usually obvious, after the fact, lol. 

As to the bolded, I am fairly confident to say that there is no property insurance anywhere that even gives the option to cover a tenant's belongings.  I've asked out of curiosity, when I'm shopping my policies, and it's always a big no.  I also include that info in my lease and verbally warn tenants during the lease signing that, if they want their belongings covered in a fire/flood/whatever, they need their own renter's insurance for that. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:

There's a whole post right now on the real estate investing forum I frequent, that is people chiming in with how the cold weather has affected their properties.  Many stories, similar to your friend's.  That toilet bowl water can completely freeze was a surprise to me reading those other posts!

I actually have it in my leases that tenant's are responsible for plumbing repairs, if the damage is caused by their actions.  I include examples and one of them is to leave faucets slightly dripping, if weather is going to drop below freezing, so the pipes don't burst.  It actually didn't occur to me to mention leaving heat on at a low level, if they will be away from home for a long time.  That's a good addition to that section!  I'm making a note to myself to add that to my lease template.

With that said, I'll also send an e-mail and/or text when these conditions might be happening.  Because, let's face it, nobody scours over their lease on a regular basis, lol.  Plus, low enough temps to affect plumbing aren't the "norm" in NOLA anyway.  Even smart tenants with good common sense can use those reminders out here!  Alas, your FB friend had to live and learn the hard way.  I've certainly had my own "teachable" moments in my landlording career, that were usually obvious, after the fact, lol. 

As to the bolded, I am fairly confident to say that there is no property insurance anywhere that even gives the option to cover a tenant's belongings.  I've asked out of curiosity, when I'm shopping my policies, and it's always a big no.  I also include that info in my lease and verbally warn tenants during the lease signing that, if they want their belongings covered in a fire/flood/whatever, they need their own renter's insurance for that. 

I work in the insurance industry. If there isn't a separate "contents" portion to a policy, the tenant's belongings won't be covered. Also, insurance companies will find any little thing to deny a claim. 
  • Options

Back in the office today and playing some catch up.  I'm feeling so much better today.  H and I ate eggs and home fries for dinner last night and we were both fine!  So I'm mostly sticking with carbs today.  I could really go for some pizza, but I want to stay away from cheese another day or so!

Tonight, I am going to try and hit up a yoga class.  We also need to start taking down Christmas, but I don't think both of those things will happen.

• Options
    Where I am, more and more landlords are requiring renter's insurance as part of the rental agreement. To be honest, it's worth the money you pay out if something ever happens. 

That's the wisdom on my REI board and many do require it.  Though, it was never required for anywhere I lived, as a tenant.  Which includes the states of CA, FL, and LA.

I don't currently require it, but I've thought about it.  My hesitation to make it a requirement is two-fold.  Because NOLA is "hurricane land", few insurance companies...for property OR renter's...service this area.  So I know it would be hard for my tenant's to even find an insurance company.  And, when they do, lack of competition keeps the rate higher than average.  Most of my units are also in lower middle-class neighborhoods.  Where even an extra $25/month for rental insurance could be a real hindrance for people.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

That's the wisdom on my REI board and many do require it.  Though, it was never required for anywhere I lived, as a tenant.  Which includes the states of CA, FL, and LA.

I don't currently require it, but I've thought about it.  My hesitation to make it a requirement is two-fold.  Because NOLA is "hurricane land", few insurance companies...for property OR renter's...service this area.  So I know it would be hard for my tenant's to even find an insurance company.  And, when they do, lack of competition keeps the rate higher than average.  Most of my units are also in lower middle-class neighborhoods.  Where even an extra $25/month for rental insurance could be a real hindrance for people.

Is it super expensive even for renter's ins?  I guess it doesn't matter if  you're in hurricane territory.   I think I spent $150 for my policy about 13 years ago for my 1 bedroom apt. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Is it super expensive even for renter's ins?  I guess it doesn't matter if  you're in hurricane territory.   I think I spent $150 for my policy about 13 years ago for my 1 bedroom apt. 
    We have a high tier of renters insurance that includes flood and sewage, it's also for over $100K, we pay about $35/month. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

I work in the insurance industry. If there isn't a separate "contents" portion to a policy, the tenant's belongings won't be covered. Also, insurance companies will find any little thing to deny a claim. 

Most of the time I get quoted for my rental property insurance, it includes contents coverage.  Not because I want it...and I specifically ask if it is cheaper to just forego that...it's just often automatically included in the package and doesn't make a difference in the price.

That is also when I've asked in the past if it can include my tenant's possessions...since I'll be way overinsured for my own contents anyway...but that is always a big no.  Understandable.

I am hoping to never find out how awful property insurance companies are on the claims end, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Last time I paid renter's insurance...which was over 10 years ago and before Katrina...it was $40/month for $40K in coverage.

To give you all an idea of the horror I face with property insurance as compared to the rest of the country, I pay $3600/year to insure my house for $260K.  I think $50K in contents is included in that, plus $1M in liability.

Oh!  And that's not flood insurance.  Flood insurance is a separate and different policy.

Last I heard, NOLA had the second highest property insurance rates in the country.  Miami is the highest.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Last time I paid renter's insurance...which was over 10 years ago and before Katrina...it was $40/month for $40K in coverage.

To give you all an idea of the horror I face with property insurance as compared to the rest of the country, I pay $3600/year to insure my house for $260K.  I think $50K in contents is included in that, plus $1M in liability.

Oh!  And that's not flood insurance.  Flood insurance is a separate and different policy.

Last I heard, NOLA had the second highest property insurance rates in the country.  Miami is the highest.

Holy crap! That's insane. We pay a premium price because we have a really high amount of coverage, for 40K, we'd only be paying $15 a month, but in a fire, that wouldn't cover anything and we live in a flood plain so we wanted the extra contents coverage. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Holy crap! That's insane. We pay a premium price because we have a really high amount of coverage, for 40K, we'd only be paying $15 a month, but in a fire, that wouldn't cover anything and we live in a flood plain so we wanted the extra contents coverage. 

Ah!  Interesting.  The renter's I previously had did cover fires.  Funny enough, it also covered flooding from storms.  As opposed to only covering a flood from inside the property, like a pipe bursting.  It also covered stolen items.  Not just from the home, but also my car and my person.

In fact, I had my car broken into once and used that insurance.  Unfortunately, I also had damage to my car.  So that was TWO deductibles for the same incident.  I mean, it makes sense, they were totally different insurances and companies.  But that didn't make it suck any less for me personally, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Ah!  Interesting.  The renter's I previously had did cover fires.  Funny enough, it also covered flooding from storms.  As opposed to only covering a flood from inside the property, like a pipe bursting.  It also covered stolen items.  Not just from the home, but also my car and my person.

In fact, I had my car broken into once and used that insurance.  Unfortunately, I also had damage to my car.  So that was TWO deductibles for the same incident.  I mean, it makes sense, they were totally different insurances and companies.  But that didn't make it suck any less for me personally, lol. 

What I mean is that $40K in a fire would barely cover any contents that needed replacing, also any storage fees and/or cleaning costs. I always recommend that if you have more than two bedrooms worth of stuff to get at least $100K worth of contents insurance. 
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for everyone experiencing loss and vibes for quick healing for those who are ill.

We are in the middle of a winter storm warning here.  DH is home sick today but his work route was cancelled anyway due to ice and snow covered roads.  All schools in the area are closed as well.  Being in health care, my work never closes and it's expected you come to work, regardless of the weather.  My bus was on time this morning and I expect it'll be running tonight.  But I'd much rather be home watching Netflix and watching the storm out the window.

On Monday I start a 4 month temporary assignment at work that will take me away from my current location.  This week has been lots of meetings to transfer my work while I'm gone.  I hope to check in here time to time.
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018

What I mean is that $40K in a fire would barely cover any contents that needed replacing, also any storage fees and/or cleaning costs. I always recommend that if you have more than two bedrooms worth of stuff to get at least $100K worth of contents insurance. 

Oh!  I hear ya.  I was single back then, living by myself.

Though my current coverage is only $50K.  I've had people tell me that is too low but, when I roughly calculate if I had to replace EVERYTHING...even being generous and not shopping for "deals" (like I usually do), I just don't come anywhere near $50K.  It's only me and my H.  We have one bedroom, one large living room, kitchen/laundry appliances, typical electronics/computers, and one small bedroom that I use as a closet/storage, ie no bed in it.  Jewelry is only covered up to (I think) $2500, but that's okay also.  I don't have much fine jewelry anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker