Wedding Etiquette Forum

Who pays for bridesmaids hair and makeup?

I will be having a professional come do the hair and makeup at my wedding. 

Who pays for bridesmaids hair and makeup? 26 votes

Bride pays for them
61% 16 votes
They pay for themselves
38% 10 votes

Re: Who pays for bridesmaids hair and makeup?

• I answered you on the other board you posted in- when it’s a double post include XP in the title :)

If you require that the BMs have professional hair and MU, you pay.  If you’re just opening the services up to them, but not requiring, they pay.
  • There's no real right answer.  

If you make it an option and they don't have to do it, they can pay.

If you want them all to have it done then this is a wedding expense for you that is not a gift for them.
  • Neither. If it’s mandatory you pay. If it’s optional they can pay, but it really has to be optional. 
  • If you are requiring it, you pay for it. If it is optional, they can choose whether or not they would like to partake of the service. But that is if it is truly optional. 

• Like the other PPs, bride pays if it is required.  BMs pay if it is optional.

Honestly, though, I strongly lean toward it always being optional for the WP.  I prefer to do my own hair and make-up.  It usually looks worse when professionals try. 

In fact, even for my own wedding, I did my own make-up and SHOULD HAVE done my own hair.  My hair would have looked SO much better if I had done it myself and I would have saved $100.  Oh well.  Should have known better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not enough info to answer because it totally hinges on whether the bride asks them to get the services done.

If the bride is like "I'd like you all to get your hair and make-up done" or "we are all getting our hair and make-up done" then she pays.

If she says "who wants to get their hair and make up done? It's $XX and I can arrange the services. You don't have to if you don't want to" then BMs pay.
    *********************************************************************************