Wedding Woes

Tuesday

GET THESE PEOPLE THE EFF OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!!  School closed early Friday.  They were off Monday and now they have a snow day.  I'm locked in the basement while they play with playdoh.  I give zero fucks. 

We are going to the store today because I haven't done any real shopping in weeks. Then cookies and a movie.  It's all I have the energy for.

On the plus side:

I am doing the 21 Day Fix.  I have lost 4 lbs in 1 week.

I just got two shout outs at work. One was an internal "you're great."  The other was a HUGE shout out that basically included our partner company saying we get so much business because of everything I do to keep our deals up to date.

Re: Tuesday

• @6fsn -     My sister's youngest is 16 now, but I remember her texting/calling me saying the same thing about her kids.     She would always start "I love my kids".  Then go on to say "they are fucking driving me crazy." and then rant about she wanted them to go back to school ASAP.   The joys of parenting.    - congrats on the shout outs.

Today is my "Saturday".   Not sure what I'm going to be doing.   It's Gay Ski Week and the today's party is at our restaurant.   I'm contemplating going up to checking up on the party (and my staff since this will be the busiest day they have had without me being there).   But do I really want to go to my work?   

Tomorrow morning (also day off) I'm hiking up there with some members from the club.   Although, this will be early in the morning before we are really open. (we give free coffee and hot chocolate before 10am, so i can take advantage of that).   It's my off-day workout.

But then again a party is a party and Gay Ski Week is always a fun time around here.  I like day drinking too.     Such FWP I have - ha.

Life is otherwise good.  DH just got a great raise.  He actually would prefer me NOT to work this summer.  Or just only do the hikes.    Part of me is like "cool".  Last year I was working 7 days a week.  I got some hiking in (outside of my guide work), but I would have liked to have done much more.  

The other part likes having my own "money".   DH has always been the bread winner.  My salary basically pays for utilities, phones, personal stuff and fun.  He pays for everything else (including saving).  It's a strange system for most people to understand, but it works for us.  

I told him if I wasn't going to work this summer I wanted him to deposit money into my account on his payday so I can still feel like I have my "own money" to spend as I will.   He said he is on board with that concept.  

Also, DH works a LOT in the summer.  As in most summers he works 14 hour days/7 days a week and will not take a day off until Aug.   I like working the summers because he's not around anyway.  

For those who do not know, I work a few months in the summer and winter.  I'm off from mid-Apr until June.  Then again from Oct to begin of Dec.    So it's not like I work full-time anyway.  I make enough during those 2 seasons to cover my off-seasons.    It's a win-win for me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh my fucking goodness.  Now my dad is lecturing me on driving today. I am 4fucking2 years old.  I have not left the house in 2 fucking days.  It is 1 mile to the store. 
  • And I just posted this in Monday's thread.  This is the Monday-ist of Tuesdays!

I'm here today.  ::Waving::

Last week was crazy, but the weekend was relaxing.

Saturday was yoga and then picking up some free toys for DD.  I then went over to the Amish Mart for donuts and fresh bread.  I then came home on sparks (since its an electric car!).  It was actually telling me I was having limited motor power due to the low battery!  H said he has never had that happened before!  But I made it home and plugged it in pronto!  We brought in the outdoor Christmas stuff since it was a "warm" 28 and only dropping over the next few days. 

We then settled in for the Eagles game and holy cow, I still can't believe they won!  I just tried for tickets for Sunday's game, but it was already telling me no tickets were available by 10:01!

Sunday was church and some work around the house.  Monday I was supposed to go up to see my friend in North Jersey, but my car was in the shop and the electric can't make the trip and back - too far.  Another friend was supposed to drive, but she had the stomach flu, so it was a no go.  So we sent DD to daycare for her first full day in her new room.  I think she really likes it there.  It was funny to see little kids walking towards me when I went to pick her up!  DD is the only one not walking in that room! 

Monday we also got the remaining Christmas things away.  I also had bought 1 large tote to put everything in, instead of the 3 separate ones.  So now I have 3 empty ones to put baby things in.

My car was not done yesterday, which hopefully they just didn't get to it and its not some crazy obscure problem! We are hoping it gets fixed today.  My work yoga class was cancelled for tonight, so hopefully that will make picking up my car easier tonight!

6 - Sorry to hear about DH's grandmother.  Prayers for her and your family.

Sparkle - Hope babypants recovers quickly!  DD has already had ear infections twice and back to back!  Since babypants is on solids, try working in some yogurt for her.  It will help with the antibiotics.  I think you are still nursing, so you want to make sure she doesn't get thrush and pass it on to you!  The yogurt will help keep her body in balance.

• @6fsn, 4 lb weight loss is amazing! wtg! Congrats on the job well done at work too. 
    @lyndausvi, will you be working the summer then?  Very nice of H to say you don't have to! 

This long weekend back home was fine.  My brother and sister got into it, but by the end of the weekend they were talking again.  I had booked a hotel with pool/jungle set and my plan was to have them both over on Sunday but then they fought and didn't want to be near each other, so I was stuck in the middle and couldn't check in the hotel until 2.  I was panicked and asked "what do I do? Tell my brother he has from 2-4 and my sister 4-7?" (she has older kids) but it all worked out at the end.

Yesterday was spent mostly at the airport.  People had me worried about the Toronto airport since we had a layover there - but it really wasn't as terrifying as everyone made it out to be.  When I (or "we" if H has the time off) fly to Calgary this fall I'm doing united/air Canada.  They have the built in tv on the back of the chairs.  Oh, and their seat belts fit me.  Booo delta. 

• lyndausvi said:
    @6fsn -     My sister's youngest is 16 now, but I remember her texting/calling me saying the same thing about her kids.     She would always start "I love my kids".  Then go on to say "they are fucking driving me crazy." and then rant about she wanted them to go back to school ASAP.   The joys of parenting.    - congrats on the shout outs.

Today is my "Saturday".   Not sure what I'm going to be doing.   It's Gay Ski Week and the today's party is at our restaurant.   I'm contemplating going up to checking up on the party (and my staff since this will be the busiest day they have had without me being there).   But do I really want to go to my work?   

Tomorrow morning (also day off) I'm hiking up there with some members from the club.   Although, this will be early in the morning before we are really open. (we give free coffee and hot chocolate before 10am, so i can take advantage of that).   It's my off-day workout.

But then again a party is a party and Gay Ski Week is always a fun time around here.  I like day drinking too.     Such FWP I have - ha.

Life is otherwise good.  DH just got a great raise.  He actually would prefer me NOT to work this summer.  Or just only do the hikes.    Part of me is like "cool".  Last year I was working 7 days a week.  I got some hiking in (outside of my guide work), but I would have liked to have done much more.  

The other part likes having my own "money".   DH has always been the bread winner.  My salary basically pays for utilities, phones, personal stuff and fun.  He pays for everything else (including saving).  It's a strange system for most people to understand, but it works for us.  

I told him if I wasn't going to work this summer I wanted him to deposit money into my account on his payday so I can still feel like I have my "own money" to spend as I will.   He said he is on board with that concept.  

Also, DH works a LOT in the summer.  As in most summers he works 14 hour days/7 days a week and will not take a day off until Aug.   I like working the summers because he's not around anyway.  

For those who do not know, I work a few months in the summer and winter.  I'm off from mid-Apr until June.  Then again from Oct to begin of Dec.    So it's not like I work full-time anyway.  I make enough during those 2 seasons to cover my off-seasons.    It's a win-win for me.
    Why doesn’t he want you to work? If he’s working non stop all the time seems like you may as well. Just because he’s making more money doesn’t mean you should change what you’re doing if it works for you! You always seem really into your job!
  • Sounds like you could use some snow day wine @6fsn

I decided not to work today. I’m still trying to recover and I have a bunch of stuff to do. I really don’t want to do anything that involves leaving the house, but we are running out of food. 

@lyndausvi SO and I have talked about an arrangement like that. I would love to try and live on a single income and then put half of my income towards retirement and the other half to fun/personal stuff (and also student loans). 

• How much snow are you guys getting to have that many snow days? It’s very rare that our kids get more than one day off. They will only get the day off if buses don’t run. Usually the roads are clear enough the next day to run. 

I’ve started going into work earlier so I can leave earlier on Fridays. Ugh, dragging my ass by noon. 
  • There was icy rain and snow Friday.  6" Saturday and another 6-8" yesterday.  It's been so cold nothing has melted off.  The actual temp this am was 2.  Our district is huge and we have a lot of rural areas so I wasn't surprised they called off.  This is the second snow day this year.  The last one was 3 years ago. Yesterday was a holiday.

• lyndausvi said:
    @6fsn -     My sister's youngest is 16 now, but I remember her texting/calling me saying the same thing about her kids.     She would always start "I love my kids".  Then go on to say "they are fucking driving me crazy." and then rant about she wanted them to go back to school ASAP.   The joys of parenting.    - congrats on the shout outs.

Why doesn’t he want you to work? If he’s working non stop all the time seems like you may as well. Just because he’s making more money doesn’t mean you should change what you’re doing if it works for you! You always seem really into your job!
    Taxes.  Which is a slightly misguided.   Our tax liability would be lower, as my salary bumps us up to a new tax bracket.       However, he is not seeing that my income still brings in some money.  Mind you, not a lot, but it's still in the positive.    

I don't think he thinks the extra money is worth me working.  Summer can be supper busy and we do not work normal business hours (i.e. working nights and weekends).  We are forever trying to coordinate taking care of the dogs and such.     Even having to pay someone to walk them sometimes.  

However, If I didn't work full time in the summer, I think it's would be fair to say I would be spending more on  fun if I didn't work.  Although a lot of my summer fun is free outside of gas to get to hikes.  I don't think he is thinking that far ahead in the budget.

I'm thinking of a compromise.  Still work, but not the 7 days a week like I did last year.  Just more part time.  Note - I didn't "have" to work 7 days last year.  I was just scheduled that way and just worked it anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We are due to get more snow tonight and I'm hoping it's enough to be pretty and not enough to close the daycare.   I just asked DH to go to the store and hopefully it's not all bought out with no bread available. 

My sore throat is now turning into a cough.   It's gross but at least the grossness is breaking up. 

Chiquita makes her first Reconciliation on Saturday.   DH and I need to figure out what to get her that's appropriate.    I want to play Chunk's confession from The Goonies because it's making me giggle although it's not exactly what I think she needs.    I am looking forward to having that over with so she understands that it's not all bad! 

• @6fsn, wow!  You are inspiring me to Google "21 Day Fix", lol.  That's an amazing weight loss in only one week.  Further congrats on your work acknowledging your awesomeness.

@levioosa, glad to hear you taking a day off.  Hopefully it will help get you over your illness faster.

@TrixieJess, here in NOLA, kids have a snow day if it might snow, lol.  But in all fairness, road conditions will be really icy anyway if there is snow potential.  And neither our roads or (ahem) our drivers are made for that, lol.

Speaking of bad weather, I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off because of it.  I have a lot of vacation days anyway and the "feels like" temperature for tomorrow morning is 9 degrees.  I'm still finding it hard to believe that sub-tropical NOLA will be in the single digits and  over 20 degrees below freezing.  GTFO.  I've lived here for over 15 years now and I'm pretty sure that will be the coldest it has ever been, since I moved.  I don't even own outerwear for those kind of temps.  No no no, nah no.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn said:

There was icy rain and snow Friday.  6" Saturday and another 6-8" yesterday.  It's been so cold nothing has melted off.  The actual temp this am was 2.  Our district is huge and we have a lot of rural areas so I wasn't surprised they called off.  This is the second snow day this year.  The last one was 3 years ago. Yesterday was a holiday.

Interesting. They may call off for one day with that much snow if the roads aren't clear, but not more than that. Our school boards encompass a large rural area too, and we don't shut down for cold weather. They just don't let the kids outside for recesses. 
  • Around here a snow day is code for "POWDER DAY" everyone gets to go skiing/snowboarding.

• @6fsn, wow!  You are inspiring me to Google "21 Day Fix", lol.  That's an amazing weight loss in only one week.  Further congrats on your work acknowledging your awesomeness.

@levioosa, glad to hear you taking a day off.  Hopefully it will help get you over your illness faster.

@TrixieJess, here in NOLA, kids have a snow day if it might snow, lol.  But in all fairness, road conditions will be really icy anyway if there is snow potential.  And neither our roads or (ahem) our drivers are made for that, lol.

Speaking of bad weather, I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off because of it.  I have a lot of vacation days anyway and the "feels like" temperature for tomorrow morning is 9 degrees.  I'm still finding it hard to believe that sub-tropical NOLA will be in the single digits and  over 20 degrees below freezing.  GTFO.  I've lived here for over 15 years now and I'm pretty sure that will be the coldest it has ever been, since I moved.  I don't even own outerwear for those kind of temps.  No no no, nah no.   

I've been to NOLA and you people freeze at 70F, whereas when it hits 50F here, people start wearing shorts and sandals. I cannot imagine what it would be like if snow hit. 
  • 6, by the end of the day yesterday I was so done with the kids and DH being home (they had a snow day Friday) and they had gone sledding Sunday and Monday afternoon!  I feel ya. 

I also have to go grocery shopping and we also haven't done any real shopping in weeks. I'm going over lunch.  I'm also going to Kroger, since it's smaller and hopefully I can get in and out quickly.  

I'm still getting better.  The throat tickle seems to be gone, thankfully.  I got somewhat decent sleep last night.  

Other than that, SSDD. Work and more work. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2018
    @6fsn I dread the days of school being closed. Snow days as an adult with kid(s) just isn't the same

@lyndausvi why does he not want you to work?  Edit: nm I see your answer above

I've been to NOLA and you people freeze at 70F, whereas when it hits 50F here, people start wearing shorts and sandals. I cannot imagine what it would be like if snow hit. 

It's actually a delight, because it happens so rarely.  It's snowed 3 times in the 15+ years I've lived here, but the last time was almost ten years ago :(.

Everyone is SUPER excited and grown adults turn into joyful 5-year-olds, who just want to go out and play.  You'll see people, in the middle of a work day, staring out the office windows in wonder.  Then running outside to build little snowmen and throw snowballs at each other.

But DO NOT be out on the roads.  At all.  Cars will be sliding everywhere.

The last time it happened, it was pretty hilarious.  The snow started around 7:30AM and blanketed the ground for a few hours, but was all gone by 1PM.  On my drive home at 5PM, I passed all these front yards.  With bright green grass...colorful flowers in the front beds...and a 2-3' snowman in the middle of the grassy yard, lol.

However, when it is cold just to be cold.  Or, even worse, cold just to be icy.  Yeah, we don't like that.  It's too much of a shock to our systems, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn said:

There was icy rain and snow Friday.  6" Saturday and another 6-8" yesterday.  It's been so cold nothing has melted off.  The actual temp this am was 2.  Our district is huge and we have a lot of rural areas so I wasn't surprised they called off.  This is the second snow day this year.  The last one was 3 years ago. Yesterday was a holiday.

Interesting. They may call off for one day with that much snow if the roads aren't clear, but not more than that. Our school boards encompass a large rural area too, and we don't shut down for cold weather. They just don't let the kids outside for recesses. 
    around here we also have had recent delays or closing for cold/wind chill. This morning the wind chill was -17 and schools were on a 2 hour delay.  New Year's week it was that cold or even colder and schools that weren't still on winter break closed. They don't want kids waiting for the bus in -20 wind chill or whatever it was

back in my day (ha) they didn't even do 2 hour delays and it was very rare to close. Now schools have tons of delays and close more it seems

Same with Southern California and rain. Any time it rains two days in a row we have news broadcasts like “STORM ALERT—SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN CRISIS.” 

• ha.  Memphis is the same.  My parent's live there and its pretty much shutting down now with the news of snow.

Snowing here too.  I hope my snow removal guy can get to it before I go home.  I like a fully plowed driveway and they'll go around my car if it's sitting there.

• Jealous.  It's sunny here.

• kvruns said:
    6fsn said:

around here we also have had recent delays or closing for cold/wind chill. This morning the wind chill was -17 and schools were on a 2 hour delay.  New Year's week it was that cold or even colder and schools that weren't still on winter break closed. They don't want kids waiting for the bus in -20 wind chill or whatever it was

back in my day (ha) they didn't even do 2 hour delays and it was very rare to close. Now schools have tons of delays and close more it seems
    We get that cold and they just reiterate to make sure that the kids are dressed properly for the cold weather. :) It's really blowing snow, snow squalls, and freezing rain that gets the kids out of school here. 
  • Heck yes mrsconn!!

@banana468. We didn't do anything for reconciliation but check out the Catholic company. They have some really great ideas. We got 6lets first Communion gift from there.  Amazon actually has a decent selection too
  • Hi everyone!  I'm alive!  Between the job and hubs campaign, my free time is basically my commute.  The good news is he's going to hire a campaign manager soon - yay less work for me!

Work is good; our contingency came through, which is great news, but I need to step up and produce like never before and the four months without a huge win is starting to affect my sales ego.  I'm *thisclose* to signing my first wedding, which will be huge.

@mrsconn23 that's how I feel about our poor puppy.  She doesn't mind the cold and LOVES the snow, we're the ones who can't take it; and in return she's been puppy fitting like a mofo.

@lyndausvi we're considering hiring a dog walker too, just to help with the puppy fits.  We also added Shipt to our lives, it was so great; anything to make things convenient right now.

• Heyyyyyy - 

Snow day here in Houston!  We all knew it was coming, but it is such a stark contrast from yesterday.  I was leaving a tutoring appointment at 8:00 last night wearing a t-shirt, capri pants, and TOMS.  I had a hoodie with me just in case, but it wasn't really needed.  We had ice all morning and it started snowing around 2:00 or so.  DH is home, too ... practically all the local officials were telling people to stay home if possible.  We're just not built for this.  The last update from our principal was at noon, and she said there's a decent chance for another snow day tomorrow or a late arrival.  We shall see ......  In the meantime, this meme is cracking me up:

But, this weekend it's supposed to be back in the 70s.  And I'm happy because it's DH's annual family reunion.  His cousin owns a B&B in central Texas and she shuts it down for the weekend for this party.  DH's mom's family is big (I expect there will be ~60 people there).  I remember when we first started compiling addresses for wedding invites.  I was like, "There's no way we're inviting this many random cousins!  How often do you speak to them?"  After I met them the first time, I totally "got" it.  I just need to brush up on my Texas Hold 'Em ... there will be plenty of poker going on!

@banana468 - dang, that reminds me that I need to get to confession! 
  • LOL at that meme @holyguacamole79.  The reunion sounds fun! And very cool of her to offer her b&b.  

• @CharmedPam - I'm mesmerized by your Amy Schumer GIF!!  LOL  

My first memory of the reunion was DH's young cousin.  She was 7 or so at the time, and when we walked in, she ran out of one of the rooms with a wad of cash, yelling " I WON!  I WON!  I WON!!!"  The kids have their own card game and they play with dollar bills instead of the 20s the adults play with.  

They also have a big White Elephant type of gift exchange, except it's not tacky gifts.  It's supposed to be a generic gift worth $15-20 with the White Elephant "stealing" rules applied.  The only time the "stealing" rule can be bent is if the gift is booze and a kid opens it.  DH's cousin has a son who was 2 at the time.  She got a gift that was basically a goody bag of candy and snacks.  It had not yet been "frozen", but she opened it up and let her son start snacking since he was getting fussy.  One of the other cousins stole it from them, leaving the child crying.  DH shrugged and said, " I guess we can take candy from a baby."

ooohhh, DH's work just announced that their office won't open until 1 pm tomorrow.  Woohooo!
  • @holyguacamole79, it already snowed in Houston this year!  Two times in one year.  Craziness.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lol on “guess we can take candy”. At my H family Christmas party they do a similar white elephant (seems to be half tacky half normal gifts). The host had extras so my baby got to open one - it was something cute and I was like no one wants to steal from a baby, right? Everyone laughed and no one stole “his” gift