Wedding Woes

Feeling psychologized

Dear Prudence,
I have a longtime friend who opened up her own family therapy practice a few years ago. She is a great person and a credit to her profession, but more and more often she is unable to “shut off” her advice-giving. She’ll give her “professional opinion” and suggest techniques for others to try, without being asked, in private conversations, in group settings, at parties, at church, and on social media.

You might think, “This is great! Free professional advice!” as I did at first, but instead of feeling heard as a friend, I feel like my whole life is up for comment or criticism. Helping others is so much a part of who she is I think she has trouble realizing that this can be annoying and off-putting. Recently, without prompting, she sent me an email suggesting that my relationship with my 10-year-old daughter is in need of repair, along with some strategies that made me feel like she views me as a bad or incompetent parent. I was very offended. I want to preserve my friendship with her, but is there a kind way to tell her she needs to “clock off” from her job as a therapist when we are together? Should I walk away from a friendship that feels very forced now? Or should I just lay down on her couch and have her bill me?

—Therapized

Re: Feeling psychologized

• "Friend, I don't appreciate unsolicited advice about my parenting skills, life choices, or decision making. I really enjoyed our friendship previously, but now it feels like you're treating me as your patient and not your friend". 
  • I always feel a good therapist would know this....to leave work at work and personal life into the personal life....I can see how that could be very annoying!

• I always feel a good therapist would know this....to leave work at work and personal life into the personal life....I can see how that could be very annoying!
    Even good therapists struggle with this! Sounds like the friend could use some professional development training on how to shut off work at home. 
  • When LW put "free advise" that flew up a red flag. Friend would be biased ....

If LW wants to be nice, she could say something like "appreciated and I'll keep in mind" then bean dip.
  • Part of my national accreditation in counseling was promising to not counsel family and friends.  It’s inappropriate.  (And I’m not even a real counselor like LW’s friend, just a school counselor!)  

Depending on who’s asking/how they ask, I get a little peeved when people ask for help with college counseling (CommonApp, editing admission essays or personal statements, FAFSA applications, etc.).  I’m not a monster I’m always willing to help someone whose kid is having a more abstract problem, but I always preface it with my opinion is coming as a friend, not a counselor.  So I can’t imagine LW’s offering unsolicited, professional advice.   :o  
  • @eileeenrob, thanks for that perspective!  It makes the friend look even worse, knowing that she has probably received a good amount of info/warning in her education/training to not fall into that behavior.

I can see where a therapist might have to be vigilant with this.  Like the old adage, "When you're hammer, the world looks like a nail."

Especially since it is a longtime friend, I think the LW should speak up already and give her friend a chance to correct the offensive behavior.  If the friend can't or won't do that, then let the friendship fizzle out. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ohhh, she knows OSIL!

(OSIL is a therapist who loves to offer unsolicited parenting and marriage advice - meanwhile she is divorced and a questionable parent.  i forget what the last piece of advice was that she gave to DK, but when he told me, i said it was lucky that she wasn't talking to me because i would have told her to go to hell, and i wouldn't be taking parenting advice from someone so clueless/in denial that she hasn't bothered to take her autistic son to get help)
  • The friend is what we term as a "Helper Personality".  The friend isn't going to change unless they're given the clear boundaries of "Can you help me in NOT giving me parenting advice and instead (phrase it in the same terms the parenting advice came over so it sticks the first time of what the LW wants instead stated positively)!".