Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitation Etiquette

We received an email from my husband's brother that said that only my husband and our son were going to receive an invitation to his son's upcoming wedding.  I am  being excluded as is our daughter.  We are not close to this family, in fact haven't spent any time with them for over 5 years.  (We casually see them at obligatory functions).  I think it is rude to separate husband and wife and brother and sister and that we should simply respond with regrets to the formal invitation.  Am I wrong thinking we should just politely bow out?

Re: Invitation Etiquette

• Yes, I would decline this rude invitation. Of course, I would do it as politely as possible - kill them with kindness.
  • I would decline and rest it as the end of the relationship. 
  • Yes, it's rude, and your husband and son should decline the invitation.
  • That's terribly rude! So they're inviting "the boys" and not "the girls"? What?!

Your husband should absolutely decline. If he's all "but it's my brother's wedding!" Then the response is "but it's your wife and daughter!" Either the brother invites you, as your husband's wife, or y'all don't go. That's where I'd be.
    All of this.  I'd like to think that it wouldn't be a discussion in our house.   It would be a head tilt with a big no in response. 

• I so want to know the reason for only inviting the husband and son. 

But yeah that would be a straight decline from me, for the entire family.  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    This is a duplicate post.  The OP accidentally asked this question in the Techie board, and gave a bit more information there.

What I really want to know is what you husband thinks about this.  It is his family.  Perhaps this is only family rumor mill material, and you will really receive a correct invitation?

Didn't we have another poster here on the Knot that was threatening to do this to her FBIL's family just a few days ago?  It sounds familiar.  I know we told her no dice!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg