Wedding Woes

Let's get this Tuesday party started

Not much to report on my end.  My H picked up his own plumbing job for a neighbor who needs help.  I'm a little trepidatious, but he is positive he can do the work and has our buddy plumber...who is busy AF! right now, lol...to fall back on if he has questions.  I'm hoping the crazy freeze we experienced will turn into an opportunity for him.  He can pick up more jobs...and/or help his buddy.  Make some extra cash for now.  Even better, maybe get good enough he can start going solo into the plumbing trade itself.  At least for more basic/intermediate types of jobs.  My hope springs eternal for him to finally find SOMETHING to bring income into our household, ffs.

(Knock on wood) work is good today!  I have enough on my plate to keep me busy, but not so much that I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Let's get this Tuesday party started

• I spent the morning arguing with Covered CA. Apparently Medi-cal got into their system and canceled my health insurance. Which doesn't even make sense because I make way over the medical limit. So I had to reapply and now it's delayed again. It's like life is actively trying to drive me over the edge. 

I'm trying to decide if I want to reach out to a friend for dinner tonight. I have her birthday/Christmas present and I'm starting to run out of time for her to exhange/return it. Otherwise I'm going to study today. I also need to find a place to do physical therapy. Everywhere should be open 24 hours a day. lol. 

@short+sassy is the cold snap over for you guys yet? I hope everything works out for your husband! 

• I hear you on the 24 hour thing @levioosa! How are things working out with school? I meant to reply on yesterday's post; is some of the misrepresentation documented? I don't know exactly what you're talking about with the misrepresentation, but if you have promises/expectations in writing you might have some leeway, depending on what the problem is. 

Not much here; work is ridiculous. Apparently no one read the grant contract through and there are some super shady provisions, that weren't disclosed to me when I was hired. I've almost had it with this place. If I didn't believe in the mission as much as I do I'd be long gone. 
  • Yay for Mr. S+S - hope it works out for you!

Work has been very busy, so I stop in quickly and lurk then get back to work.

Tonight is yoga at work.  The rest of the week will be mostly just me and DD.  H works late tomorrow night, so I will pick up DD from daycare.  Then on Thursday he is in AC for a conference, where he will stay overnight on Thursday.  He will come home on Friday, which should be early enough for him to pick up DD.

We are sprinting quickly to DD's first birthday.  Tomorrow she is 11 months.  I just don't know where all the time went!  And now my little baby isn't so little anymore!

• ohmygoshhhhhhh I'm ready to strangle these students!!!! 

Any funny gifs / memes / jokes to make me smile before I go bonkers?
  • Last night was pretty busy calling the great-grandparents about the gender.

I half gave my granny 'crap' {term used loosely} because she fell, and needed emergency surgery. I told her next time to call us to bring her home at least.
    I was more irked/irritated that I had to hear it from my mum and never got a call when they got home. I figured I'll mention that later when she's in better spirits.
    She's 76 {77 in March} and my mum has told her she needs to stop working. Get a hobby if she's bored. This isn't good for her health.
    {short version what happened - blood pressure bottomed out, she went into laundry room for unknown reason, fell, elbow all fucked up and now has staples and wire in her arm - same arm she fucked up her rotator cuff on}

When she's feeling better, I'll explain how hurt I was that I wasn't on the call list at all.

This morning was a rough start. Ice rain last night, so we had to get ready early so M could chip away ice on the car.
    Obviously as soon as we pull in and I'm just around the corner, I see the bus pulling away. It's far enough that I can't run it - nor is it safe enough.

Next bus was late also. Luckily no one else was late, so it wasn't that bad. Just throws off my morning a bit.

I ordered some baby stuff XD I couldn't resist! Old Navy had sales. Plus I picked up a top and pants for myself.
  • @levioosa, yeah, the cold snap went from Tues. night-Fri. morning of last week.  It is thankfully over now.  Most of that time it was 10-20 degrees below freezing.  Which is a typical day in the winter for much of the country, lol.  But extremely unusual for us and our houses/pipes were just not built for that kind of cold.

We still have a lot of houses built before the 1930s.  They were built to keep the heat out in the summer and the water out, during times of heavy rain.  They're built on pilings as opposed to concrete foundations, ie are raised houses.  So all the exterior plumbing is exposed to the elements.  Water in the pipes freeze.  Which expands the water and can burst the pipes.  PEX piping is a lot more forgiving than the old PVC or galvanized but, since people don't usually need to replace their pipes, there is a lot of that older PVC or galvanized piping out there.

It's a mess out there, plumbing-wise!  Lots of people still don't have running water in their home because of it.  Just on my one little block of 7 houses, almost every single neighbor had something go wrong with their plumbing and two of them need all their exterior plumbing replaced.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875 I emailed my clinical coordinator last night but I don't have a lot of faith in the school. I attached all of the emails between me and the office administrator as well so at least they can see that I was being professional and courteous with my responses. I'm also not sure about what kind of contract the school may have with the facility. Preceptors are in high demand. Sometimes people even take out personal loans so they can pay to get a preceptor. I really would like to avoid that, especially because our school promised placement and I am not paying this much fucking money to have to find my own.  I also need to email back the office administrator, but her email to me yesterday was such a slap in the face that I'm having a hard time formulating any type of a response other than an emoji middle finger. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I would be furious if I found out things weren't appropriately disclosed at time of hire. 

• My head HURTS.   I am not looking forward to work travel tomorrow and wish I didn't have to do it.   I normally enjoy the get away but driving with sinus pain sucks.  

Luckily Sudafed and Advil help but still, I want this damn thing gone.   I'm now on over a week of some kind of cold symptom and it could be worse but it still is unpleasant. 

I have a client that's annoying me today.   Ever have one of those experiences where you have proof that your client isn't telling the truth but you also don't want to tip to into the precarious state of doing an I told you so dance?  

This is me today.   And it sucks. 
  • banana468 said:
    My head HURTS.   I am not looking forward to work travel tomorrow and wish I didn't have to do it.   I normally enjoy the get away but driving with sinus pain sucks.  

Luckily Sudafed and Advil help but still, I want this damn thing gone.   I'm now on over a week of some kind of cold symptom and it could be worse but it still is unpleasant. 

I have a client that's annoying me today.   Ever have one of those experiences where you have proof that your client isn't telling the truth but you also don't want to tip to into the precarious state of doing an I told you so dance?  

This reminds me of that professional clap-backs post we had a while ago. 

• banana468 said:
    My head HURTS.   I am not looking forward to work travel tomorrow and wish I didn't have to do it.   I normally enjoy the get away but driving with sinus pain sucks.  

Boo head hurting :(

Bolded. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Then something comes up and you just wanna be like "I KNEW IT!"
  • levioosa said:
    banana468 said:

I'd be lying if I didn't say I use "as per my previous email...." often ;)
  • levioosa said:
    banana468 said:

Unfortunately this is one of those times where I'd have to say, "As you can see per the attached email from 2014 this is not a new situation and the cause is not a defect but a result of climate." 

I'm trying to do what we can to avoid having to say, "These emails illustrate the fact that this isn't new." 
  • banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:

Unfortunately this is one of those times where I'd have to say, "As you can see per the attached email from 2014 this is not a new situation and the cause is not a defect but a result of climate." 

I'm trying to do what we can to avoid having to say, "These emails illustrate the fact that this isn't new." 
    Lol! Similar to a few I've started using, is sending a follow up email with the previously sent email
    "Following up on the previous email ..."
  • We had to run to the ER last night for K's grandfather.  K is close to him and terrified about losing him.  Right now, we know he had pain medication and not enough water which messed up some functions, but the doctors are also saying he needs another stent and that surgery can't be done, so we're still waiting on more info.  K's grandfather has the cardiologist in this city I cannot stand and I honestly think the cardiologist is a bad doctor.  I want K's grandparents to switch to the cardiologist I worked for b/c 1: I know cardiologist and (more importantly) cardiologist nurse will take extra good care of K's grandfather b/c of me and 2. cardiologist has horrible bedside manner, but is also brilliant and straight forward w/his patients, which K's grandparents will like.  The other doctor is charming and handsome for his patients and dangerous AF for their lives, IMHO.  I couldn't convince them.  

Pride is coming in hot and heavy and I've already had it.  My new Co-Chair is..um...there's going to have to be a serious talk about people's gender identification/sexual orientation and if it doesn't go well/right, well....I'll cross that possible clusterfuck if it comes to pass.

I'm in a helluva imposter syndrome/midlife crisis conglomeration too.  I'm taking on a really big huge community project that I waver between complete confidence and complete terror about my ability.  I have super amazing people backing me that I trust to tell me if I'm not capable or biting off too much, but it's still terrifying.  Add that to, if one more damn person tells me I don't look 40, I'm going to scream.  Yes...yes I DO look 40, b/c this is my face and my face is 40 and YOUTH IS NOT THE ONLY DESIRABLE TRAIT, physically or otherwise.  I hit a really rough spot on NYE with my physical appearance.

• banana468 said:

I have a client that's annoying me today.   Ever have one of those experiences where you have proof that your client isn't telling the truth but you also don't want to tip to into the precarious state of doing an I told you so  you're lying dance?  

I hate having to behave professionally in those situations, lol.

I've run into it at work, especially at a previous job, but it reminds me even more of dealing with a difficult tenant.

The old adage, "If you tell the truth, you don't need to have a good memory."

Case in point.

A previous tenant wanted to break their lease and use their security deposit for their last month's rent.  Ummm...f**k you...no.  And you're responsible for the rent until I get a new tenant.  Plus they never finished paying the full security deposit (equal to one month's rent).

They acted just "shocked and appalled" I wouldn't let them use their last month's rent because "all their other landlords everywhere they'd lived let them do that", "oh, gosh, well, I guess it's just so different in NOLA (complain, complain)".  As an aside, no it isn't.  Only an idiot landlord would "okay" a tenant using their security as last month's rent.  Sure, some do, not the majority.

At any rate.  Hmmm...apparently they'd forgotten the excuse they gave me when they didn't have the full security deposit on move-in.  "They'd have it to me in less than two weeks, but needed to get their previous one back from their previous landlord."

What I said, "I can't speak to what your previous landlords did.  That was never my experience as a tenant and it would be foolish for me to allow it, because then I have no recourse if there are damages.  I will, however, return any security deposit you are receiving back within a few days of your move out."

What I wanted to say, "I'm curious.  Where you lying then?  When you said you were waiting for the security deposit from your previous landlord...which you've still never paid in full.  Or are you lying now?" 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @VarunaTT, I hope everything goes well for K's grandfather.  I agree the "youth" culture we live in is disturbing, at best. 

@mrsconn23, Happy birthday!!!  Cupcakes, coffee, mimosas, and bourbon.  Like the song, "these are a few of my favorite things", lol.  Sounds like you're off to a good one.  I have a FB friend whose birthday is today also.  Funny enough, we became friends on the now "almost defunct" sister site, The Nest.  The core group of us remaining finally bailed and moved our forum over to FB, due to constant login problems.  Login problems.  Now why is that ringing a bell/s.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2018

Happy Birthday @mrsconn23!!
  • @short+sassy  I'm guessing it's different when you rent an apartment, but 2 of our apts they put the security deposit towards our last rental payment. We didn't ask - we also paid full amount well before, but we also need to do first and last month's rent here so they should be lucky.
  • @VarunaTT Hopefully they change cardiologists! I swear, if you know someone in hospitals you will always get better care no matter where you are. Hospital I'm delivering at, my granny works/worked at plus a lot of nurses she knows from a previous hospital. She's ensured that I'll get extra special care when I go lmao
  • Happy Birthday @mrsconn23!

Today has been pretty busy. Early morning workout, then met with guy to look at tile samples for kitchen floor. I think H and I have it narrowed down to 2. We want to see them on a sunny day - yeah right! I had lunch with a friend then a debrief meeting for the home tour I chaired before Christmas. I came home to find the floor a mess because H doesn't notice all the crap the dogs track in when it rains. So I spent a good hour cleaning the floor.

I'm headed to Florida in a couple of days with a bunch of girlfriends. I haven't even decided what to pack. It is always so hard to pack for weather that is different then where you are living. I'm looking forward to the warmth and sunshine though. When I get back, we are heading up to DD's. They will find out the genders of the twins in a couple of weeks. They asked me to come with them to the ultrasound. I'm going but I think it might be a little intrusive. I only ever had one ultrasound (with DS2) to determine due date. H wasn't even there!
  • @short+sassy  I'm guessing it's different when you rent an apartment, but 2 of our apts they put the security deposit towards our last rental payment. We didn't ask - we also paid full amount well before, but we also need to do first and last month's rent here so they should be lucky.

It sounds like you didn't need to pay the last month's rent because it had already been collected at move-in.  In addition to the first month's rent plus a security deposit (that I'll assume was equal to one month's rent).

It's not so much renting an apartment vs. house (private owner/smaller company), as it is what is typically done in any given area.  I've actually never lived somewhere, including apartment complexes, where I needed to provide "last month's rent" on move-in.  It's always just been first month's rent, plus a security deposit that equals one month's rent.

I WISH it was typical in the NOLA area to collect "last month's" rent at move-in, lol.  I have been able to do it twice.  In both instances, it was someone moving from out of state who didn't have a job lined up yet.  Hence they were more risk.  Hence I required and they agreed to pay last month's rent, up front.  But if I were to require that from everyone, I'd be severely limiting my tenant pool, since almost nobody else does.

Mwuuu-haa-haa.  I have actually come up with a plan for the next time I have a vacancy.  I'm going to give the tenant a choice.  They don't have to pay last month's rent but, if they do, I'll give them a $200 discount on it (20-25% less).  And I'll also give them the first 3 months of their tenancy to come up with it and enjoy that discount.  Plus point out how freeing it will be to walk away, whenever their tenancy ends, with the last month already taken care of.  Easier to save for the next 1st and security or one less large bill to pay before closing on a house.

Now that I've been screwed over twice by tenants I've had, I've seen how risky it  is to only have a security deposit equal to one month.  Because it takes longer than that to evict someone PLUS, when they know they're not getting their security deposit back anyway, there is no incentive to leave the place in good condition and not steal things.  Pathetic I even have to include "to not steal" as an incentive, smh.  Yet, BOTH of those deadbeats were also thieves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Today has been pretty busy. Early morning workout, then met with guy to look at tile samples for kitchen floor. I think H and I have it narrowed down to 2. We want to see them on a sunny day - yeah right! I had lunch with a friend then a debrief meeting for the home tour I chaired before Christmas. I came home to find the floor a mess because H doesn't notice all the crap the dogs track in when it rains. So I spent a good hour cleaning the floor.

I'm headed to Florida in a couple of days with a bunch of girlfriends. I haven't even decided what to pack. It is always so hard to pack for weather that is different then where you are living. I'm looking forward to the warmth and sunshine though. When I get back, we are heading up to DD's. They will find out the genders of the twins in a couple of weeks. They asked me to come with them to the ultrasound. I'm going but I think it might be a little intrusive. I only ever had one ultrasound (with DS2) to determine due date. H wasn't even there!

Ooohhh!  Sounds like so much fun!

A bit depends where you're going in FL.  I lived in Miami for a few months.  Not at this time of year, but almost through the end of Nov.  Even in Nov., it was still hot, sunny, and in the low and mid 80's.  I didn't think it was too hot, though.  It was just perfect.

But Miami is WAY down south in the state.  It's a freakishly long state.  Further north and in the Gulf Coast area, it's still going to be a little chilly.  Probably lows in the high 40s/low 50s and highs in the low to mid 60s.  But usually sunny.

The AL/FL Gulf Coast is one of my all-time favorite places for a beach vacation.  My H and I have been many times for weekend getaways.  Though we usually stick to the spring or early fall.

FL is one of those places where it is good to layer.  You can probably get away with tee shirts and shorts during the day, but want to switch to jeans at night.  But always have a cardigan/light jacket handy because large bodies of water=wind. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It’s pretty typical here to ask for first and last month’s rent plus a security deposit. I also had to show that I made over three times the rent per year. 

Ooohhh!  Sounds like so much fun!

A bit depends where you're going in FL.  I lived in Miami for a few months.  Not at this time of year, but almost through the end of Nov.  Even in Nov., it was still hot, sunny, and in the low and mid 80's.  I didn't think it was too hot, though.  It was just perfect.

But Miami is WAY down south in the state.  It's a freakishly long state.  Further north and in the Gulf Coast area, it's still going to be a little chilly.  Probably lows in the high 40s/low 50s and highs in the low to mid 60s.  But usually sunny.

The AL/FL Gulf Coast is one of my all-time favorite places for a beach vacation.  My H and I have been many times for weekend getaways.  Though we usually stick to the spring or early fall.

FL is one of those places where it is good to layer.  You can probably get away with tee shirts and shorts during the day, but want to switch to jeans at night.  But always have a cardigan/light jacket handy because large bodies of water=wind. 

We will be near Ft. Myers so pretty far south. My challenge is packing for 5 days in a carry on to include workout clothing and casual clothing plus one going out to dinner outfit. Yes, layers are the way to go. Forecast is highs in the 70s lows in the 50-60s so no complaints there! We are facing black ice in Indy today so I'll take the Florida weather anytime.