Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding dress alteration panic!!!!

So this is my wedding dress.. when I ordered it, they ordered me a size 10 (as per my measurements then) but now I’m measuring as a size 4 with the designers size chart...  I am freaking out about taking it in that much!!!! Has anyone had a dress taken in that much? It is so detailed.. I am so worried

Re: Wedding dress alteration panic!!!!

• So this is my wedding dress.. when I ordered it, they ordered me a size 10 (as per my measurements then) but now I’m measuring as a size 4 with the designers size chart...  I am freaking out about taking it in that much!!!! Has anyone had a dress taken in that much? It is so detailed.. I am so worried
    That is a lot to take a dress in, and I'm sorry to say it looks rather complicated on the bodice. I doubt it's impossible (nothing is impossible), but it will likely be expensive. 

I would ask the store you ordered it from if you can exchange the same dress for a different size since you've lost weight. They may not let you, but it's worth asking. 
  • That is a gorgeous dress! 

I think your best option is to talk to a seamstress directly. Do you have the dress in yet? That's a significant size difference and will (likely) require taking the bodice apart and reconstructing it, which can be quite expensive. If your dress isn't in yet can you call and see if they can exchange for a smaller size? There's also likely an associated fee with that, but it might actually be less expensive that taking it in that much. 
  • This is the Maggie Sottero Grayson right? When did you order it? When is it scheduled to come in? Can you call the shop and ask if it's possible to change the size? If it was relatively recent, they may be able to do this for you.

If not, you're just going to have to talk to the seamstress about options. I would keep your expectations low as that's a lot of dress to take in and, you're right, it's quite detailed, especially with the illusion neckline and back.
    *********************************************************************************

• Yes it’s the Grayson dress. I purchased it in October and it won’t be in until March. They wanted to order me a size 12 but I said no way and they let me order a 10. I called in December and they said no they can’t change the size once it’s ordered. It was so expensive and I’m so upset. My fiancé told me not to worry about alteration costs as he knows how upset I am.. so hopefully it will be doable by a talented seamstress. The most it will need to be taken in is 5 inches at the hips..perhaps I will just have to gain some weight!! Lol
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2018
    The good news is - this is a GOOD problem to have as there have been brides on here who have needed to FIND an extra 5" to add to the dress...  Let's divide this up, that's 2.5" per side, and there are multiple points to which the taking in process will need to be done so it's not just at the side-seams.  (My sister-in-law's wedding dress was a size 18 and she was a size 0 at the time of their wedding, her dress was highly detailed and she looked AMAZING in it!)

The challenge is, the cost.  You must meet with your seamstress and determine whether or not a replacement dress would be more economical as an option.  That's the real question.  This is also why we often recommend halving the budget when purchasing because this stuff happens.  At this point, wait until the dress arrives then once you can try it on and have the seamstress take a look, then go from there on what your next move is.  Until you have the dress to put on, relax and do not get worried about what might or might not be.  Worst case scenario, you need a new dress, best case scenario, the current ordered size fits like a glove and you don't need any alterations.