Wedding Party
Options

Photographer or bridesmaid

My fiancé and I will be getting married next fall. When we got engaged, I asked his sister if she wanted to be a bridesmaid or our photographer (she's a professional one). She said that she would do both! Which was great, but now her and I are kind of on the fence about her doing both, just because we want her to be able to capture our ceremony. She suggested something about being an "honorary bridesmaid" so she could still be part of the wedding party, but she wouldn't have to walk down the isle so she could still capture the ceremony part. I guess my question is, is "honorary bridesmaid" the right term? And if so, would she wear the same dress as my other bridesmaids? Or is there any other suggestions so she could still capture our day and still be the photographer?
thank you!

Re: Photographer or bridesmaid

• Options
    She can still be a bridesmaid even if she doesn’t stand up front, so I would still call her that. I mean, I’d hire a professional myself so she can enjoy the day and not work at it, but if she really wants to take the photos no reason she can’t still be called a bridesmaid. 
  • Options
    My fiancé and I will be getting married next fall. When we got engaged, I asked his sister if she wanted to be a bridesmaid or our photographer (she's a professional one). She said that she would do both! Which was great, but now her and I are kind of on the fence about her doing both, just because we want her to be able to capture our ceremony. She suggested something about being an "honorary bridesmaid" so she could still be part of the wedding party, but she wouldn't have to walk down the isle so she could still capture the ceremony part. I guess my question is, is "honorary bridesmaid" the right term? And if so, would she wear the same dress as my other bridesmaids? Or is there any other suggestions so she could still capture our day and still be the photographer?
    thank you!
    Would she be your only photographer? If so I would not recommend having her in the bridal party, or try to do anything else besides photograph. She'd be working your wedding so I would treat her like any other vendor; write up a contract with payment.

Honestly, I think I would just tell her you love her photos, but you'd like for her to be in the bridal party and ask if she could recommend a photographer. Then if she wants to take any pictures she can, but that you still have a photographer whose sole focus is taking pictures. 
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2018
    I would never ask a guest, especially a close relative, to "work" the wedding in a role that normally I would ask a paid vendor to fulfill.

So I would ask your SIL to be your bridesmaid and hire a professional photographer to actually do the work.

If your SIL wants to take photos at your wedding, then I'd leave that up to her, but I'd make sure she understands that she's there as an honored guest and not a vendor.
  • Options
    Never, ever have friends or family do something as important as wedding photos. It is a recipe for disaster. That means a.) she can't enjoy the wedding as she will be working b.) you will have no photos with her in it and c.) if you don't like the photos, it could damage your relationship. 

Let her come as a bridesmaid and guest. Hire a professional photographer who will WORK the wedding. 
    I disagree. I think it depends on the relationship and your expectations. My cousin is a professional photographer and was just getting into weddings. I hired her to be my wedding photographer, and she since then also photographed two of my siblings' weddings and two mutual cousins' weddings. All the photos have been lovely and our relationships have remained strong. 

I think she can be a bridesmaid and a photographer, but she won't be doing much if anything of the "bridesmaid stuff" - standing up next to you, in photos (because she'll be taking them!), etc.