Wedding Reception Forum

Reception only

Please help a girl out so Me and my soon to be hubby we’ll be getting married soon but just the two of us. Which isn’t the issue I’m super excited and can’t wait but what im
worried about is we’re having a reception ( just got married party) for family and friends to join our excitement but I’m just a little worried on how to planned that night out / interary type deal like we have the venue booked and all that good stuff just a little confused like for an example do I just greet me guest as they come or do I stay away untill everyone shows up please any advise would be great... :)

Re: Reception only

• Please help a girl out so Me and my soon to be hubby we’ll be getting married soon but just the two of us. Which isn’t the issue I’m super excited and can’t wait but what im
    worried about is we’re having a reception ( just got married party) for family and friends to join our excitement but I’m just a little worried on how to planned that night out / interary type deal like we have the venue booked and all that good stuff just a little confused like for an example do I just greet me guest as they come or do I stay away untill everyone shows up please any advise would be great... :)
    I usually start by planning backwards. 
    Out of venue by 10
    dancing 8-10
    spotlight dances 7:45
    cake cutting 7:30
    dinner 6:30

etc.

as to greeting  your guests, that comes down to personal preference and convenience. If you are taking pictures before the reception, you might not be there to greet people as they arrive so you may have to do table visits during dinner. Both ways are fine. :) 

• I'm not sure from your post if the party is the same night as your wedding. BTW, it isn't a reception since your ceremony is private. Receptions are for your guests that attend the wedding. Anyway, if it is on a different date I would greet the guests as they arrive. Even if it is the same evening, I would try to be there to greet them since you are obviously the hosts however, as PP said that might not work out if you are taking pictures. If you can't be there to greet people, perhaps a parent can act as host so that guests can be greeted and directed as to where to go. 
  • edited February 2018
    Since y'all are hosting the party, you really should greet every guest - whether that's at the door (this is normally how guests are greeted at a party) or shortly after things get started with table visits. Most reception-only events I've been to do not have assigned seats or plated dinner where everyone is sitting at the same time so table visits might not work.\

Personally, I would greet guests and have a timeline similar to this:

6-6:45 - you and your FI post up at the entrance and greet people as they come*, guests have drinks and snacks
    6:45 - take the mic, thank everyone for coming and open the buffet (or stations or whatever) for dinner
    7-7:45 - eat and mingle
    7:45 - cut the cake (if you're having one)
    8-whenever - party

This is just a party - I wouldn't overthink it.

*It might be a good idea to have a table with pictures from the ceremony a little ways away from you so that you can keep the long winded talkers moving "oh yes, we have pictures right over there, take a look!"
    *********************************************************************************

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    Unless your party is on the same day as your ceremony, it will not be your wedding reception.  It would simply be a party to celebrate your marriage.  That means no wedding traditions.  You would use basic party etiquette, not wedding traditions.  Hosts are there when the guests arrive to greet them and offer them food and drink.

Here is a wording to make it clear:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    to celebrate the recent marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Date of party
    Time
    Venue name
    Address
    Anytown, Iowa

If your party is on the same day as your ceremony, you can have a wedding reception.  Otherwise, no.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the wedding reception of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    (etc.)

Be prepared for a lot of declines to your invitation.  I would not travel to attend a party or a wedding reception without the ceremony.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg