Wedding Woes

Happy Eagles Monday!

Full disclosure, I fell asleep at half time, but loved waking up to a Patriots loss (sorry @sparklepants41). Hope you're loving every minute of it @lyndausvi

How was the weekend? 

Mine kind of sucked. H left for camp on Friday, I had an early staff meeting Saturday and did a long run (11 miles) afterward. H came home Saturday night, but we had a thing and the rest of the night sucked. He did something that I felt was pretty hurtful and then we ended up talking about it for A WHILE and I didn't get to sleep until super late Saturday night. Things are fine now, but it sucked. 

Yesterday we went to a few open houses. We're meeting with an agent on Saturday that my sister really liked, but a few places we wanted to see were open Sunday. One was already under contract (which I think was pretty shady bc the agent didn't cancel or update the listing until after), and two were way overpriced an needed complete renovations. We drove by another that we like so hopefully we can see it next weekend. We're so over apartment living and really miss having a house. 

Re: Happy Eagles Monday!

• I hung out with some friends, but watched the Super Bowl by myself.

I'm happy for the Eagles. I have to admit that I'm usually more interested in the commercials than the game unless I'm rooting for one of the teams, but this year's commercials, for the most part, didn't seem particularly interesting compared to some years in the past.
  • I always forget to watch the commercials during the Super Bowl. I'm so trained to ignore or FFW through commercials that it is tough to actually pay attention to them. 
  • Pretty low-key weekend.

Friday was groceries, plus we both had a few calls to make.

Saturday - M went to the range and I hit the dollarama for a couple things. Started getting a headache, so I got a latte from Starbucks and then took a nap.
    That night we went to my friend's place. So much food lmao! There was only 4 of us, but she made so much. Her bf is Chinese, so we had a lot of things they got for Chinese New Year.
    We played "What's your Meme?" and I won ;) It's similar to Cards Against Humanity or Apples to Apples, just instead of a sentence you have to pick a good match to the meme.
    It was good :)

Sunday - we were suppose to see M's grandparents but it was snowing and we just didn't feel the roads would be good. It's a 45min drive and when we called to talk to them about it, apparently they were to get worse weather. So M's grandpa said "No. Don't take my great-granddaughter out in this weather." lol!
    So instead I tidied up the basement a bit, and we watched movies.

M was watching scary movies {"Sinister 2" and then "Open House"} I ended up watching 'open house' with him. I'm not big on 'scary' style movies but if the movie is more of a 'psychological thriller' {think "Silence of the Lambs"} then I can handle it.
    It's a netflix original and I don't wanna give any spoilers, but it's fucking awful!
    If you want to know why it was awful, then just DM me. I don't wanna ruin it for someone who may see it.

Watched a bit of the SuperBowl, but more for Anthem and Halftime :)
    Crashed before "This is Us" and I can almost assure you that I'm the only one using a Crockpot today lmfao
  • mrsconn23 said:
    FUCK YEAH EAGLES!  I just wanted them to win because sad Tom Brady is the best kind.  :) 

OMG, y'all.  I have not had a weekday hangover this bad in a really long time.  But it was so worth it.   I had the best time with my friends and my kid had 5 kids to play with, so he was in heaven.  My friend and I got the drunk weepies.  It was perfect.  ;)

Speaking of perfect, Beautiful was AMAZING!  The lead they had playing Carole King was spot-on.  My mom said she was better than the one she saw in Chicago.  If it comes through your area, I highly recommend the show.  

I need to find some food.  Bending over to help DefConn tie his shoes this morning felt like the worst mistake of my life in the moment.  I miss being 21 and having to *really* drink like a monster to get a hangover.  :D 
    Love this. Sounds like a great weekend. 

And yes, I remember having to try and get a hangover. Now it's like one sip of whiskey and I need a day to recover. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    No game watching for me, but someone posted about JT starting his performance so I switched it for that.  Glad I saw the ending because then the poor kid memes everywhere make sense now.  I am glad the Eagles won because, well, how many fingers do these players even have? Do they NEED another ring?
    @mrsconn23, glad it was a good show. You remind me that I want to get out and see "love never dies".

Weekend was good.  I took myself out on Saturday.  Just to walmart to buy some food for the next step of this diet (no more liquids!) but I was proud that I made the trip on my own with no help.

H didn't make the celebration of life for his stepdaughter and I couldn't travel the 3 hours there and 3 back for it since I'm still recovering.  It was to late to put a day in and he had to work all weekend.  He was, needless to say, bummed. But we did pay for the food and drinks for it as contribution, since the person putting it on has no money and literally did a celebration of life for his own mom 2 weeks ago (I know! that poor guy!)

edit: he also couldn't get bereavement leave because she was not his own blood. He raised her since she was 9 and WAS HER FATHER! I understand rules are rules and all, but I think this one needs to be re-addressed.  My company wouldn't even think twice about giving someone bereavement for it. 

• Did anyone see the joke that Brady was actually getting surgery for another finger for another right? Lmao

• Did anyone see the joke that Brady was actually getting surgery for another finger for another right? Lmao

ha! I just wrote about how many rings does one person need? :) 
    I bet hockey fans feel that way about the Chicago Blackhawks (sadly I think our run is over though) 

ha! I just wrote about how many rings does one person need? :) 
    I bet hockey fans feel that way about the Chicago Blackhawks (sadly I think our run is over though) 
    I know, that's why I was reminded of the Meme ;)

And depends on where you are. Where I am, we're not a fan of Montreal. Nobody likes Toronto. Everyone hates the guy who owns Ottawa.
  • MKD - I'd seen that before and it was funny

@CharmedPam that sucks he couldn't get out of work or get leave for it. Did he still keep in good contact with her? I've always wondered what happens when someone is a step parent and then they get divorced as to whether or not the step parent and step child remain in each others' lives.

The FMLA has something called "in loco parentis" that extends some protections to someone who wants to take leave to care for someone who stood in like a parent to them even if the person doesn't meet the definition of a parent. I think it is a good rule that would be good to be extended to other circumstances although I'm sure there are always ways to abuse it and then it it harms those who are wanting to use it for true reasons. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    WOOHOO!!!!    Fly EAGLES Fly!

I'm a little hungover.   Ha.   We had people over.   I was the only true Eagles fan and there were no Pats fan.   Actually a 3rd of the people were not even football fans. (note: most of us are transplants, so we all route for our home teams).

I felt like a bad host because I sat in the middle of the sofa all night.   People even brought me beer and food.    Ha.   

I switched shifts with a co-worker so I get the day off.  Here's to sitting on the sofa all day!
    This sounds like the only way to host when you're truly the only fan at the party. Hope you're enjoying all the replays and pictures from Philadelphia. I'm loving it. 
  • Good Morning!   @lyndausvi I was thinking of you last night!

Weekend went well.

Saturday was DH's birthday.   We had a nice day and I made him roasted rack of garlic toast with Boursin as an appetizer, roasted rack of lamb, couscous, garlic green beans and salad for dinner.   Dessert was his favorite cake - Carvel!

Sunday we went to church and came home where DH prepped the Instant Pot refried beans and I started the hot water washing of all of DD's pink eye crap.  

THEN - if you didn't read the Friday thread my mom updated me that she had her left hip replaced Thursday and then chose to email me about it Sunday.   What she doesn't know is that I know she spoke to my MIL, asked MIL not to tell us and MIL of course told DH who told me.  I am hurt that she didn't bring me into the circle of trust but I understand that this is my mom, she has my dad and she's moving along OK.  She's already home and I plan to visit her this weekend.  

Sunday night we let the kids eat at a table in front of the TV.   KIddos had a real meal while DH and I ate a pan of nachos (with DH's refried beans) and had beer.  I am SO excited that the Eagles won.   I live in Pats territory and while I respect that so many friends and family are fans, I'm happy to see smug Tom Brady and his perfect lips lose. 
  • banana468 said:
    Good Morning!   @lyndausvi I was thinking of you last night!

Weekend went well.

Saturday was DH's birthday.   We had a nice day and I made him roasted rack of garlic toast with Boursin as an appetizer, roasted rack of lamb, couscous, garlic green beans and salad for dinner.   Dessert was his favorite cake - Carvel!

Sunday we went to church and came home where DH prepped the Instant Pot refried beans and I started the hot water washing of all of DD's pink eye crap.  

THEN - if you didn't read the Friday thread my mom updated me that she had her left hip replaced Thursday and then chose to email me about it Sunday.   What she doesn't know is that I know she spoke to my MIL, asked MIL not to tell us and MIL of course told DH who told me.  I am hurt that she didn't bring me into the circle of trust but I understand that this is my mom, she has my dad and she's moving along OK.  She's already home and I plan to visit her this weekend.  

Sunday night we let the kids eat at a table in front of the TV.   KIddos had a real meal while DH and I ate a pan of nachos (with DH's refried beans) and had beer.  I am SO excited that the Eagles won.   I live in Pats territory and while I respect that so many friends and family are fans, I'm happy to see smug Tom Brady and his perfect lips lose. 
    Curious why she told your MIL and not you? Is she close to your MIL? Honestly, I'd be pretty hurt if my mom did that. I get if you don't want to tell everyone and that the circle of trust is small, but I'd feel pretty bad if my mom told my MIL and not me.
  • Nothing much this weekend- Home Depot kid build, basketball, fish buying, movie night, soccer, church, more fish buying because Skunky died, superbowl.  It's the most football I've watched in probably 5 years.

2 hr delay this morning due to ice. 

We need 30 volunteers for Thursday.  756 kids in the school and we can't get 30 effing volunteers for COSI on Wheels (science experiments).  If we don't get enough people it will be cancelled for safety reasons.  All those parents that didn't volunteer will certainly be the first to bitch it got cancelled.

• banana468 said:

Weekend went well.

Curious why she told your MIL and not you? Is she close to your MIL? Honestly, I'd be pretty hurt if my mom did that. I get if you don't want to tell everyone and that the circle of trust is small, but I'd feel pretty bad if my mom told my MIL and not me.
    @charlotte989875, our moms have become good friends AND as luck would have it, my MIL just had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago.    So they've both been in the state of talking to doctors, surgeons and needing this done.     My MIL was still in the rehabilitation facility (she didn't get to go directly home like my mom did due to some issues that have since been resolved) and my mom had actually called her to see how she was doing and share in this.

I know that she didn't tell a ton of people and she actually didn't tell my brother either.   It's odd but I've mostly moved on.   That said, when they ask me a question  I can't say that I won't bring it up.   I'm way too snarky for that. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Weekend went well.

@charlotte989875, our moms have become good friends AND as luck would have it, my MIL just had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago.    So they've both been in the state of talking to doctors, surgeons and needing this done.     My MIL was still in the rehabilitation facility (she didn't get to go directly home like my mom did due to some issues that have since been resolved) and my mom had actually called her to see how she was doing and share in this.

I know that she didn't tell a ton of people and she actually didn't tell my brother either.   It's odd but I've mostly moved on.   That said, when they ask me a question  I can't say that I won't bring it up.   I'm way too snarky for that. 
    Ahh that makes a lot of sense. Glad you can move on. My Dad had his hip done last year and he had to go to a rehab facility too. Glad your Mom is home and resting. 
  • I heard that there was a football game :wink:

Today is the Mondayist Monday. The temperature dropped 25 degrees and it was slippery as fuck today. Walking to transit should have taken 10 minutes, took almost 25 instead. 
  • Count me in as someone else dancing that the Eagles won.  Woo hoo!  I was already rooting for them just because...umm they were playing the Pats, lol...but then I found out during pre-game that they've never won a SB.  That put me over even more squarely in their cheering section.  Overall, a great game to watch and amazing plays that happened for both teams.

@Jen4948, I'm with you on the commercials.  They weren't bad.  But they weren't very memorable either.  I'm especially disappointed with Bud Light, lol.  Their "Dilly Dilly" commercials have been SO funny.  I assumed they had an amazing one lined up for the SB.  Nope.  Also just okay.  Not as good as the other ones they've had, so far.

@charlotte989875, good luck with the house hunting!  I hugely side-eye real estate agents who don't update their listings.  How nice for them that their time isn't valuable.  Mine is.

@mrsconn23, cracking up at "sad Tom Brady is the best kind".

@MissKittyDanger, Crockpots forever!

@CharmedPam, yay no more liquids!  I'm also glad to hear that you felt well enough to go grocery shopping.

My H and I went to Shen Yun on Saturday.  It's a show celebrating the 5,000 year old tradition of Classic Chinese dancing.  I assumed the show was going to be a "story".  Interestingly enough, it was not.  Each number was a mini-story within itself, that showcased different eras/cultures/ethnicities of China.  Beautiful, colorful and vibrant costumes.  An emphasis on flowing skirts and sleeves, as part of the dances.  Including two numbers from the present time.  Both of which painted Communism in China in a VERY negative light.  In fact, this show plays all over the world...but is not allowed to be played in China.

I liked it.  My H was not a fan.  We were both surprised at how heavily religious the show was.  Focusing on Falun Gong aka Falun Dafa.  A modern spiritualist movement that started in the early 1990's.  It's Buddhist based, with some Tao elements.  Though they seem to use the word "Creator" instead of Buddha. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @charlotte989875, good luck with the house hunting!  I hugely side-eye real estate agents who don't update their listings.  How nice for them that their time isn't valuable.  Mine is.

Yeah there was a lot of side-eye from us, too. The agent was at the open house and letting people in and through. And then was all "oh I have another farm house coming on the market soon in a different area, write down your contact details if you want info.", which great but she had no info, didn't offer many details, even when we specifically asked. It just seemed like she was trying to pick up business and we were not there for it. 

Glad you like the show!
  • Around here agents continue to show houses right up until the closing because you just never know.  I'm so glad we are done buying houses for now.  The average days on the market in our neighborhood is currently 2.  2 days on the market and getting 100%+ asking price.

• Yeah there was a lot of side-eye from us, too. The agent was at the open house and letting people in and through. And then was all "oh I have another farm house coming on the market soon in a different area, write down your contact details if you want info.", which great but she had no info, didn't offer many details, even when we specifically asked. It just seemed like she was trying to pick up business and we were not there for it. 

Glad you like the show!
    I've always been under the assumption open houses are really there to get the realtor more business and it doesn't actually sell the house.  Especially in this case if it was already under contract and not listed as accepting back ups.
  • kvruns said:

@CharmedPam that sucks he couldn't get out of work or get leave for it. Did he still keep in good contact with her? I've always wondered what happens when someone is a step parent and then they get divorced as to whether or not the step parent and step child remain in each others' lives.

Yes.  She went back to live with him after she came back from the army. He was already divorced by then, so his ex was out, but she wanted to stay in the same area she grew up in.  He didn't ask for anything either.  Then he rented the house to her BFF and stayed there.  He kept in touch, went to a dinner or two over the last 3 years, and they played video games A LOT.  TBH, he was closer to her than her own mother.  Her mother up and left and didn't want to take her in and communication was very low between them.

• kvruns said:

Yeah there was a lot of side-eye from us, too. The agent was at the open house and letting people in and through. And then was all "oh I have another farm house coming on the market soon in a different area, write down your contact details if you want info.", which great but she had no info, didn't offer many details, even when we specifically asked. It just seemed like she was trying to pick up business and we were not there for it. 

Glad you like the show!
    I've always been under the assumption open houses are really there to get the realtor more business and it doesn't actually sell the house.  Especially in this case if it was already under contract and not listed as accepting back ups.
    I think the shady part was that it was still listed as active. When we got there she was like "Oh I just didn't have time to cancel" Uh huh. Sure.

And there was no collecting backups like @6fsn said, because that I would totally get. It just felt like she was trying to get names and contact information more than she was anything else, which sure, I get that's part of your job, but it just felt shady to us. There was no real info on the similar listing, or any other property she had, it was just like "write down your names!". 

To be fair I think we've had so much contact with agents recently that we're pretty critical and don't want people to waste our time.
  • 6fsn said:

Around here agents continue to show houses right up until the closing because you just never know.  I'm so glad we are done buying houses for now.  The average days on the market in our neighborhood is currently 2.  2 days on the market and getting 100%+ asking price.

That's pretty crazy. Things were really tight around here this summer (things under contract the day they're listed, at or above asking) but not that bad! 

I would totally understand that backup offers, or even collecting offers for a set period of time (that's what happened on the house my sister and her H just bought) or asking for best and final. But everything has slowed down here given the weather, and this house had been on the market since the summer, so it's not like there was huge competition. 
  • Woooooooohoooooooooo My birds won last night!  I'm still in shock!  And even when they didn't catch that Hail Mary, I didn't even realize there was no time left on the clock!  All I was thinking of was we had another play to get through!

There were fireworks in the neighborhood for a solid 30 minutes after.  There was a car flipped in Philly and the awning of the Ritz Carlton ripped down.  But overall, the city was pretty good about their celebrating.

Work has been crazy.  I don't think I've been able to post since last Wednesday?  I was able to lurk a little bit, but not much!  They were also asking for volunteers to work on Saturday, so I did and will get 5.5 hours of OT.  That should outright pay for DDs birthday party!  Yay time and a half!

Sunday was our relaxing day.  We did a whole bunch of nothing until we left for my friends house.  Usually Super Bowl party is at my brother's house, but he ended up with the flu. :(  My friend had enough room for us, so we went over there.  My friend's mom is down in FL at their condo, while her dad was up here.  So they both attended the party together with my friend's mom attending via iPad.  At one point, my friend walked in and said "Where's Mom?" cause she had walked away from her ipad!  It was funny how things would quiet down and you would hear "Well - that was dumb!" from the ipad!

DD was up till almost 10 pm, so thank GOD daycare has her for most of today!  H and I were so tired when we got up this morning.  It will probably be an early night for us.

Banana - I would make sure your mom knows that it was really inappropriate for them to not tell you and your brother about the surgery.  Reiterate that you are not a kid anymore and should really be told about medical issues your parents are facing.

• We have been living through reno for the last week and half and I am so glad its about done. We had water damage and had to get new floors in laundry, kitchen, living and dining rooms. Since we bought this house 26 years ago I have wanted to tear down the wall between living and dining rooms. So the day before contractor came my son took it down. It feels like a whole new house!  Now on to cleaning and putting everything back where it goes this week. 

H decided it would be a good idea to have people for the super bowl last night, the contractor was literally finishing when they got here. It was family and a couple that are like family so no big deal, but I would have rather them all see a put together area - oh well we all had fun anyway.
  • @OliveOilsMom we had a good talk about this.   My mom is oddly secretive but I am hoping we made progress that I can respect her need for privacy and to be left alone while also being made aware of what's going on.

The analogy I used was, "Well maybe if I have another baby I'll call you when we're home from the hospital."   
  • it is a SNOW DAY
    So I cancelled my platelet donation--the kiddo is patient, but not 'wait 2 hours whle mom has a needle in her arm' patient.

The Mr. snowblowed the driveway and the kiddo and I ware doing mostly nothing today.
    Which is nice, my head hurts.  again.  I need to talk to the neuro, because I ran my stats, and, accordng to my records (and keeping in mind I"m far more likely to fail to record pain than I am to over-record pain) I"m back up to having pain on at least 40% of days...which, might explain why things at work have been feeling a little distrcted and untenable.

The Mr. and I did packing this weekend in the basement because it does look like the move is a sure thing...I hvae to much shit.  I hate packing and paring down.