Wedding Woes

Raise your hand if you woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Ugh, I'm in a funk today, but so are my coworkers, and all friends so it's actually helping.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm turning 38 and not happy about it.  I'm not sure what it is about that number but I can't handle it right now.  And we're going to a fundraising gala tomorrow night, and I tried on all of my dresses and I look like a sausage casing.  That doesn't help.  Plus I'm on my period.  Overall, shit.

On the up side - 10 days to DC!!!  We are doing a White House Tour.  I was torn on it, but it was closed to tours when we last time, and at the end of the day I'm not going to let Cheeto run me out of the People's House.  It's a weekend so he should be golfing anyways.

Re: Raise your hand if you woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

• I have woken up on the wrong side for at least a week now and I'm really struggling to find motivation for anything.  It's about to start affecting work and I need to get the hell out of this funk. 

I'm also cognizant that 1. the weather is grey and miserable and it's starting to really mess with my mood now and

2. I'm firmly in the divorce remembrance period.  I wish people would be more understanding; far too many people think that divorce BOOM everything is fine and I never think about this again.  No.  We were together for 16 years, 13 married...it might've blown up in barely 4 months, but there was a long shared history there.  And there was a pretty ugly aftermath for me to live through, where I took a lot of social media name calling that hurt, badly.  I kept all of that mostly all to myself.  I'm still angry and bitter at some things (why do we still have mutual FB friends after he made a post calling me a trash person who took everything of value and his mother called me a wench on FB?), just at a lesser level.  

3. Oh and I think I'm about to start my period.  4.  And I'm about to turn 41 and while I dealt with 40 okay, 41 seems to be smacking me around. 

Anyway, I'm in a pretty big funk.
  • DefConn woke up not feeling so hot.  He was complaining about head congestion/sniffles last night.  He was running a very low-grade fever.  I kept him home.  He eating normally and is playing on and off between laying on the couch.  I think it's a head cold vs. flu, but I'm keeping an eye on him. 

DH always gets so bent out of shape with worry when the kids get sick (especially when they're under 10), so I also have him to make me batshit.  (He was all snappy this morning when I pointed out to him that a teaspoon-spoon is not the same as the measured cups.  He was all, "I couldn't find the cup!" *sigh* They're in the same spot they've been since we moved into this house.)

I went to bed early last night and tossed and turned, of course.  So I'm almost more tired this morning than I was yesterday.  Other than that, SSDD.  Still cold out.  Work is...work.  Meh. 
  • Happy early birthday, @kimmiinthemitten! I agree with @charlotte989875 - as a candidate's wife, you need to go out and treat yo' self! Doubly because it's your birthday!

Spending the day reviewing drafts - BOGGLES THE MIND how no one can spell anymore. Adding letters to words, putting apostrophes on plural words, creating past tenses that don't exist...I'm smacking my head all over the place today. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten You deserve something. Go buy yourself a new dress :)
    Happy early bday also :) I know you're not thrilled, but still <3

@charlotte989875 That's not fair they're assuming your knowledge and/or experience. :(

@VarunaTT I think even if it's "a long time coming" or like yours, people don't really get what people deal with once they go through divorce :(
    That's not fair of people to call you names. Definitely uncalled for!

Not a whole lot last night. I'm planning a day with my bff in March since she'll be in town. Once we figure out a day, I'm booking it off :)
    Seeing another friend tonight - long overdue, since we've been trying to get together since June lmao!

I got a horrible foot cramp last night, and M had to help me massage it out because I couldn't grab and stretch my foot enough.
    I've never had it before, and I'm pretty sure it's pregnancy related, but dear gawd that shit hurts!!
    My mum said I was lucky I caught it before it turned into a charley horse like she had when pregnant lol
  • @kimmiinthemitten, Happy early birthday!  Ain't nothing but a number.  I'm sure you look beautiful in your dresses, I think the negative view you are having is really just your sub-conscious angling for a new fabulous dress ;).  Definitely do a White House tour!  Think of it in terms of its history, as opposed to thinking of the current resident that can't be bothered to be there most of the time anyway.

@VarunaTT, happy early birthday to you also.  Our memories can sometimes be chains worse than the strongest steel.  I hope you get your mojo back and out of your funk.

@mrsconn23, I'm with you.  I didn't get enough sleep the night before.  Felt tired at 10:30 and went to bed.  Yet was still awake until midnight.  So now I'm going on Day 2 of less than 6 hours of sleep per night.

My H and I are having a fancy dinner tonight at one of our favorite restaurants.  It's a mystery shop, which makes it even better because I'll get my meal reimbursed with my next payment from that company, lol.

Other than that, it's a fairly busy day at work, but I'm having trouble gathering up enough motivation, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LOL at @Kimmiinthemitten, when you said you were turning 38, I had to do the math in my head (FINE! It was a calculator) because I honestly didn't know how old I was.  I'll be 39 in August! 38 is the new 28. You got this :)
    @charlotte989875, can you ever win? I hate age discrimination.  The youngest person in our office is actually the most successful, she used to be in our department and moved to another department and I'm a personal cheerleader for her.  Go her! She understood our industry so well she accelerated and made a great career move. 
    @varunaTT, divorce isn't easy.  Even if you're on good terms, it's not easy! I see that a lot from my own H (I'm his third wife). Keep your head high!
    @mrsconn23, good move for leaving defconn home. I don't understand why people dont stay home if they're sick! don't spread the germs.  H's company is the worst.  They don't get sick days so EVERYONE comes into work sick. Give them sick days dammit (although in his company, it would be abused)

Yesterday we got a call from a plumbing company saying they had our dog.  I was like WHAT?!? Milo has never escaped before! H picked him up and went home (we were both working) and found out that our electric company hired tree trimmers to get to the telephone pole and they left our gate open! wtf! H had words with them, but I'm still thinking of putting in a complaint.  Poor Milo is 16 years old and deaf and blind - he could have been hit by a car!

• @sparklepants41 Good lord that would drive me nuts.

@mrsconn23 It's hard to say which of us will be more panicky when our kid is sick, but it seems like there's always one parent that gets more wound up when a kid is sick.
  • I've been in a funk since last year. It will probably last through this year. I don't have a lot of hope otherwise. I'm trying to study today. The house is still a mess and although I unpacked some boxes it feels like I didn't do anything. I don't like clutter so this is stressful. Hugs to everyone else in a funk today. I might have to go to a Panera or something to concentrate.

• Happy early birthday, @kimmiinthemitten! I agree with @charlotte989875 - as a candidate's wife, you need to go out and treat yo' self! Doubly because it's your birthday!

Spending the day reviewing drafts - BOGGLES THE MIND how no one can spell anymore. Adding letters to words, putting apostrophes on plural words, creating past tenses that don't exist...I'm smacking my head all over the place today. 
    Years ago, I had a very p/t gig as a WFH editor for a mystery shopping company.  Total shock to the system at how poorly people write!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875, I am angry all over again hearing about the shutting down of the only abortion clinic for such a large area.  Back a few years ago, Louisiana...always one of those states looking for outlawing abortion loopholes...was trying to pass that only doctors with hospital privileges could perform abortions.  I don't remember exactly, but I think the courts or maybe even SCOTUS shut that kind of s**t down before the law ever passed anyway.

Most gyns who specialize in that don't have hospital privileges.  Why?  Because you need to have so many patients in a hospital over a course of a year to have privileges and it is exceedingly rare that an abortion performed by a medical doctor EVER requires a hospital visit.  In the entire state, there was only ONE doctor who both performed abortions and had hospital privileges...because he also specialized in high risk pregnancies.  His office was in Shreveport.  Hundreds of miles from the NOLA area, where 80+% of the population is.  He also went on record as saying that, if the law were passed, he would no longer perform abortions.  Purely out of fear for the safety of his family, his staff, and his patients. 

@CharmedPam, thank goodness Milo is okay!!!!  I'm glad the plumbing company took good temporary care of him and reached out so quickly.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm here and with a decent night's sleep last night, so I didn't get up on the wrong side this morning.

Varuna - Hugs to you.  I hope you can find peace with your divorce thoughts and keep your funk from spreading to work.

Kimmi - Go get a new dress!  I would tell you to RTR, but its probably too late!

Charlotte - That is so frustratingly sad about the clinic. 

MrcConn - Healthy vibes for DefConn

MKD - Look up some yoga stretches for your feet and legs, it will probably help keep you from cramping up.  Also if a charley horse ever starts, stand up and put your foot flat to the floor as best you can.  It helps to calm down the muscle.  Also, there is a specific vitamin that helps with muscle cramps.  I can't recall which one it is - maybe Vitamin D?  Try drinking some extra milk to get some above what your prenatal is providing.

H is working late tonight, so I will be picking up DD.  Depending on how she does after work, we may go to the mall so I can make a return and then some bulk food shopping at BJs.  I'm heading to Wegmans at lunch, so at least I will get an easy dinner for myself from there.

• @charlotte989875, I am angry all over again hearing about the shutting down of the only abortion clinic for such a large area.  Back a few years ago, Louisiana...always one of those states looking for outlawing abortion loopholes...was trying to pass that only doctors with hospital privileges could perform abortions.  I don't remember exactly, but I think the courts or maybe even SCOTUS shut that kind of s**t down before the law ever passed anyway.

Most gyns who specialize in that don't have hospital privileges.  Why?  Because you need to have so many patients in a hospital over a course of a year to have privileges and it is exceedingly rare that an abortion performed by a medical doctor EVER requires a hospital visit.  In the entire state, there was only ONE doctor who both performed abortions and had hospital privileges...because he also specialized in high risk pregnancies.  His office was in Shreveport.  Hundreds of miles from the NOLA area, where 80+% of the population is.  He also went on record as saying that, if the law were passed, he would no longer perform abortions.  Purely out of fear for the safety of his family, his staff, and his patients. 

@CharmedPam, thank goodness Milo is okay!!!!  I'm glad the plumbing company took good temporary care of him and reached out so quickly.

It's outrageous. But, unless the clinic or provider challenges the state law, even though the Supreme Court has struck down similar laws, states can do what they like until a court tells them they can't. In what's happening with our clinic the lower courts ruled the transfer agreement requirement was unconstitutional (similar to the admitting privileges argument) but the Ohio Supreme Court failed to rule on that. So unless the clinic challenges that ruling to the US Supreme Court they have to follow the ruling. Because the Supreme Court rulings on these types of restrictions have been pretty narrow, each clinic or state has to fight their own battle against these laws. It's infuriating.
  • @charlotte989875, I agree that it's incredibly infuriating that women who need medical care, even abortions, have to hopscotch all over the place looking for somewhere that "pro-lifers" aren't trying to control them. 

There are so many horror stories of women who don't get the necessary care because of their intrusiveness that I'm actually relieved that I can't have children. I would be scared to get pregnant, find out that either I or the baby has a terrible condition and I can't carry it to term and then have people deciding that I have to risk my own life to give birth to a child who won't live long and will never see the outside of a hospital.
  • I've been in a funk since the beginning of the year (earlier, even). My job situation makes me feel depressed (not yet clinically, but just deeply worried and unhappy). Add to that the stupid political situation, bad weather (climate change?) in Houston lately, worry about my parents (both are cancer patients and have other medical problems) and various other crap and I'm actually grateful not to be alone in this forum. We support each other.
  • I thought I was over this cold, but I just had a sneezing fit. I have plans this weekend and have no time to be sick.

Work has been so busy and I have received every special case in the school, for reals.

My niece is 9 months and so funny. I love that little peanut, and she is truly a blessing in my life. I thought I would end on a high note.:)
  • @CharmedPam I would have been SO PISSED at the electric company/tree trimmers! Thank god Milo was okay!!!!!

@charlotte989875 just saw your post about the clinic. WTAF. This makes me livid. I really hate this country sometimes. 
  • @OliveOilsMom I have a yoga dvd, but not sure if they have ones for leg/feet. I need a new yoga mat before I jump in. Before bed I do often stretch, but I'm def gonna start stretching my feet now! That was crazy lmao

@CharmedPam On sheer fact that they left the gate open - even if Milo was in good health, also even if you didn't have a dog - is a no-no for them. Definitely file a complaint! Glad pup's ok though!
  • @OliveOilsMom I have a yoga dvd, but not sure if they have ones for leg/feet. I need a new yoga mat before I jump in. Before bed I do often stretch, but I'm def gonna start stretching my feet now! That was crazy lmao

@CharmedPam On sheer fact that they left the gate open - even if Milo was in good health, also even if you didn't have a dog - is a no-no for them. Definitely file a complaint! Glad pup's ok though!
    Also make sure you are drinking enough water. 
  • @banana468 I giggled. If she doesn't enjoy your puns, I do :D;)

Yes!  Dehydration can cause charley horses.

My H swears that potassium also helps, though I've never done the research.  Both bananas and coconut water have lots of potassium.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I always think I'm drinking enough water, but I should amp it up.

Apparently if it continues to be an issue, it could be magnesium. I think it was a one-off though.
  • @kimmiinthemitten - It's your birthday, you have an occasion to look fly, and you need a pick me up. Three excellent reasons to treat yo'self to some new threads. 

@charlotte989875 - that is awful (about the clinic). Can people PLEASE stop policing women's organs? No one tries to police dicks and balls ("don't tread on me!" *eyeroll*). No one is like "any doctor prescribing ED meds or performing prostate exams must be extra highly regulated because we really CARE about men's health just as much as women's health." No. You don't. Please, spare me the patronizing bullshit on top of regulating my body. It's just insult to injury.
    *********************************************************************************

• Can someone send this gif to those who need a reminder {not you ladies here, those cutting women's health}

jennifer aniston friends GIF

{ps - i spent more time than i should looking for this gif}
  • Oh my goodness!  My college, Cal State San Marcos, changed their mascot!

It's possible it happened a long time ago, lol.  I pay very little attention.

When I was there, we were the Tuquawts.  Probably spelling that wrong.  Pronounced TOO-quats.  It is a local Indian name for a California Mountain Lion.  Our logo, at the time, looked suspiciously like a Penn State Nittany Lion.  By suspiciously, I mean exactly like it, lol.

Apparently now we are the Cougars.  New logo also.  At least they aren't stealing from Penn State anymore. 

I wonder if you could still make a drinking game out of how many times the word "diversity" is in their Mission Statement.  Now that the mascot has gone more normal and mainstream, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  I'm not joking, I thought it was the the touques that you put lmfao!!
    {pronounced TOO-ques for those not familiar with French lol}
  • @kimmiinthemitten - It's your birthday, you have an occasion to look fly, and you need a pick me up. Three excellent reasons to treat yo'self to some new threads. 

@charlotte989875 - that is awful (about the clinic). Can people PLEASE stop policing women's organs? No one tries to police dicks and balls ("don't tread on me!" *eyeroll*). No one is like "any doctor prescribing ED meds or performing prostate exams must be extra highly regulated because we really CARE about men's health just as much as women's health." No. You don't. Please, spare me the patronizing bullshit on top of regulating my body. It's just insult to injury.

In my perfect, though unlikely, world.  I will someday have a Republican politician say to me in re: to abortion rules/laws that it's a concern for women's health.  So I can give him/her a shocked, quizzical look and reply, "I'm really confused.  Since when has the Republican party cared about anyone's health?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  I'm not joking, I thought it was the the touques that you put lmfao!!
    {pronounced TOO-ques for those not familiar with French lol}

Maybe in Louisiana, lol.  But not in CA.

The "quats" part of the word sounds like squats, without the "s".

Wedding Countdown Ticker