Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Another bloody snow day.  We have lots of snow mixed with ice and it's nasty on the roads.  It's 8:40 and the kids are driving me nuts already.

I'm shut out of my main work program for day number 2. 

I had a training session on a new tracking program for a company yesterday.  Now I'm presenting that information to their people Friday.  Huh? I don't even know how or why, but whatever.

I've got another system I've been having issues with and they can't fix it. 

My husband still can't figure out that you can't wait 2 days to hem and haw about kid stuff.  You see you sign up.  If you wait you will be shut out. 

Re: Wednesday

• My daughter has a snow day and it hasn't snowed yet!

It's supposed to be gross later so we shall see what the afternoon weather and driving do.  For now the kiddos are at the daycare and the older one is armed with books and her tablet.

My mom got the chocolate covered strawberries I sent for her birthday and she LOVED them.  I'm hoping to see her Saturday or Sunday for a good time but not a long time.    DH and I will do the mom visit loop with food and then we'll head back home. 

• Didn't end up seeing my friend last night. She had things come up, but we're getting together tonight.

I'm not very smart sometimes. Lmao! So I purchased Tums chewables - because my princess self does not like the chalky ones - but obv I left them at home yesterday.
    So of course, I had a dolce du leche brownie. HORRIBLE INDIGESTION FLARE UP!!! I expected to breath fire all day.
    I ended up asking M to pick me up because I just couldn't handle things and didn't wanna trust myself on the bus :( {I almost was sick in the car ....}

Ended up being kind of a good thing. I cleaned up the bedroom a bit and tossed some stuff that I'd piled up into a garbage bag for donation.

@banana468 did she like your puns? :)

@6fsn A lot of kid programs - especially in the summer - are like that. My coworker has her kids in a bunch of stuff because the before and after school program doesn't go all summer and once she knows that it's sign up time {which is coming soon} she will sit in front of her computer, refreshing it so she can catch it on time.
    Some programs run out within minutes!
  • @missKittyDanger- this happens to him ALL THE TIME.  He hates making quick decisions and thinks things will be there a week later.  6 separate weeks of summer camp for 200+ kids each week with 3 locations sold out in 30 minutes with zero advertising.  I sit in front of the computer for swim lesson.
  • I hate the winter.  There's nothing good about it. :(  So much so that I moved our cruise next year from January to February because I realized the beginning of February is when I really start to hate it and not the beginning of January so much.  It's actually a better deal at $360 cheaper because they offered better bonuses.  Same cruise ship and itinerary just a month later! 

@Misskittydanger, that dolce du leche brownie sounds amazing.  I'll trade you my pureed food diet I'm on for the next 4 weeks for that? :)

@6fsn, that's adorable! LOL

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2018
    DefConn is home another day.  It's definitely a cold and the low-grade fever he was sporting yesterday is gone.  His ears were bothering him this morning and he's still pretty congested with a watery eye and lots of sneezing/snot.  I did a warm compress and gently cleaned out his ears and he said they were much better.  He could have gone to school, but DH was all, "keep him home, he's still not feeling the best."  It's my day off and I got to sleep in, but still...he could be at school right now.  At least it's not the flu.  ::knocking on wood:: 

Our snow day make up day is President's Day and I was thinking about canceling my day off since the kids will be in school, but since my last 3 days off during the week were either spent taking care of sick kids or for appts, I'm not canceling it and taking a 'mrsconn' day.  DH might have the day off and that would be nice, but if not...It's definitely going to be a 'do what I want' situation.  ;) 

I need to run to the store and DefConn's getting fitted for his new frames this afternoon. 
  • @6fsn It's crazy how quick they fill up!!

@CharmedPam Lol yes trade :) It'd prob be better on my indigestion than the brownie lmfao! {grateful baby loves dairy}
  • @CharmedPam, Sounds like a win-win for changing the cruise date!

@MissKittyDanger, hope the indigestion gets better and have fun with your friend tonight.

@mrsconn23, you DO need a day just for mrsconn! 

Date night with a fancy dinner last night was amazing!  I had one of the best cocktails I have ever had.  It used passion fruit juice, but also had a slight sour/tang from lemon.  Refreshing and fruity, but without being too sweet.  The appetizers/entrees were great, as always.  My H and I split a Bananas Foster for dessert, served flambe style at the table. 

Not much going on today.  I don't want to jinx myself, but it should be a good work day.  I have things to do to stay mildly occupied, but nothing is rushed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  I feel like it may not go away for awhile :( but at least I have options to treat it :)

Oooh! That cocktail sounds delish :) What's a "Bananas Foster" ?
  • We have had a productive weekend/week helping DD and SIL paint their new house. Stripping wallpaper was awful though!!! H and SIL managed to get it down in two rooms. I painted the nursery, primed the living room (they are having some electrical work done in there so didn't paint), put first coats on family room, kitchen and 2nd bathroom Guest room is taped/prepped for another trip. H painted the dining room. I'm tired and muscles are sore but feel like a lot was accomplished.

Today I'm heading to drs. appointment with DD and SIL for the ultrasound then driving home. H is on his way to a meeting. I hope the roads are better than they were this morning. H said the worse roads were in Chicago (he is headed east).

@mrsconn23 take a day for yourself! @CharmedPam I feel the same way about February! It is the shortest month but seems sooooo long.
  • It really was a good switch.  It also lands on H's birthday so it's something to celebrate, yaknow?  The only difference was we booked a "non obstructed view" room and this one could be an "obstructed view" room.  These are usually the lifeboats lined up below the balcony and I honestly don't mind (H said he wanted unobstructed).  I'm 6'0 and he's 6'4, we can look around them!

I would love a drink like that, @short+sassy, I like sweet but not too too sweet.  Just the perfect amount of sweetness. Glad you had a good dinner!

@mrsconn23, booo to losing president's day.  I have no plans but love a nice long weekend!

So valentines day is a week away, and I was hoping to make a customized (with ingredients, not decoration) candy bar at chocomize .com and found out they switched their business to corporate only.  I used to be able to buy individual customizatable bars but not anymore.  Anyone know if a place where I can do that? (so you can put pistachios and nuts and sprinkles and candy in them...etc)

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    @short+sassy  I feel like it may not go away for awhile :( but at least I have options to treat it :)

Bananas Foster is a dessert created by New Orleans own Brennan's restaurant in the 1950s.  Though, nowadays, you'll occasionally run into this dessert in restaurants all over the country.

It basically has the taste of a caramel sauce (though caramel, per se, is not one of the ingredients) over bananas and vanilla ice cream.  There are two liquors involved in the preparation.  Banana liqueor and rum.

First added to the pan is the banana liqueor, brown sugar, and butter.  You can see we are off to a good start, lol.  That cooks down until it is essentially a caramel sauce.  Then the cinnamon and bananas are added to warm them up.  Once the bananas are coated and warm, the rum is added.  This causes the pan to erupt in flames!  Hence, flambe style.  Once the rum burns off and the flames subside, the concoction is immediately served atop a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

For those of you not coming down to NOLA anytime soon or ever, lol, here is the recipe.  It's slightly different from how it's prepared in the restaurant, but will get you in the neighborhood:

Bananas Foster
    (Serves 4)

• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/4 cup banana liqueur
    • 1/4 cup dark rum
    • 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
    • 4 bananas, cut in half, lengthwise, then halved

Combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum. Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum. When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  I feel like it may not go away for awhile :( but at least I have options to treat it :)

Bananas Foster is a dessert created by New Orleans own Brennan's restaurant in the 1950s.  Though, nowadays, you'll occasionally run into this dessert in restaurants all over the country.

It basically has the taste of a caramel sauce (though caramel, per se, is not one of the ingredients) over bananas and vanilla ice cream.  There are two liquors involved in the preparation.  Banana liqueor and rum.

First added to the pan is the banana liqueor, brown sugar, and butter.  You can see we are off to a good start, lol.  That cooks down until it is essentially a caramel sauce.  Then the cinnamon and bananas are added to warm them up.  Once the bananas are coated and warm, the rum is added.  This causes the pan to erupt in flames!  Hence, flambe style.  Once the rum burns off and the flames subside, the concoction is immediately served atop a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

For those of you not coming down to NOLA anytime soon or ever, lol, here is the recipe.  It's slightly different from how it's prepared in the restaurant, but will get you in the neighborhood:

Bananas Foster
    (Serves 4)

• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/4 cup banana liqueur
    • 1/4 cup dark rum
    • 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
    • 4 bananas, cut in half, lengthwise, then halved

Combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum. Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum. When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.

idea intensifies GIF

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited February 2018
    But you see why it's just easier to have someone else make it, @misskittydanger and @short+sassy?

edit for:  the best BF I ever had was here (for anyone in the St. Louis area or visiting):
    http://www.lempmansion.com/dinner.htm

• @mrsconn23 apparently we now go by hours so we don’t have to make up days until we’ve missed a dozen or so. Years past we had blizzard bags so students could complete work at home to make up days. 
  • I'm so over all this effing snow. I've had to clear snow off my car three times today; once to go to the gym, once to go to the bank, and again to go to work. Sure it looks pretty but this is ridiculous and I'm over it. When I complained H was all smug like "well you wanted to move back to Buffalo". Not helping. And nothing closes here so we all just deal with it. 

We finally opened local bank accounts so the move is official. We're meeting with a real estate agent on Saturday so hopefully it works out. We're going to try and be slow about the process and not just take something that is good enough, but try and wait for something we love. It's tough because the areas we're looking in are expensive and we're definitely at the low of the market, but we're hoping we can find something we love and can afford. 
  • But you see why it's just easier to have someone else make it, @misskittydanger and @short+sassy?

edit for:  the best BF I ever had was here (for anyone in the St. Louis area or visiting):
    http://www.lempmansion.com/dinner.htm

Totally agree, lol!  I clicked on the link and laughed when I saw the other dessert they have is Cherries Jubilee.  The only other dessert I know of that is also served flambe.

I mean, hey, if you have the special carts to serve desserts flambe style, might as well have the two most famous ones available.

The Brennans restaurant also serves Cherries Jubilee.  Though where we went last night, Palace Café (same Brennans restaurant family) does not.  They only have Bananas Foster. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That embarrassing moment when you use the bathroom and the toilet clogs.
    And you're at work.
    And it's a public toilet.
    And you just had to pee.
  • levioosalevioosa member
    edited February 2018
    Physical therapy right now and finishing up with some heat, ice, and TENS. Best part of pt. Other than that it’s SSDD with school. 

I don’t even like bananas foster but that recipe looks delicious. 

• It has been really foggy here in the mornings. Yesterday there was a 44 car pile up. Just watching the videos was traumatic. Now DH has to go to Dubai every day next week and I hate it. I just pray that people learned and will drive more cautiously. 

I started staining our our dining room chairs and they just look like shit. Apparently I didn’t sand deep enough. I am regretting starting this project.

• Yay @thefanciestbeckler!! Congratulations! How are you feeling?
  • edited February 2018
    @charlotte989875 thank you!!! Really not feeling too bad. Mostly I have just been totally exhausted! And I am like completely starving all the time lol. Certain smells gross me out and I’m not in the mood to eat a lot of things that I’d normally like, but I haven’t had much nausea. I am thankful for that!!

edited because TK keeps deleting half my comment 

• Congrats!!!!
  • Eeeee!! Congratulations TFB! And congrats to your DH on his new job!
  • @thefanciestbeckler Hiiii!!!! Congrats on your new job, your H's new airline job, and omg congrats on the baby bump!!!! 

How are are you feeling? When are you due? 
  • Congratulations @thefanciestbeckler! Sounds like so much good news in the Beckler house. Hope your pregnancy goes smoothly.
  • @thefanciestbeckler, ((Frantically waving hi))  Good to hear from you!  So much great news in the Beckler household.  Congrats to both you and your H for better jobs.  And especially congrats on the baby news.  Yay! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats to all of the Becklers!!!