Wedding Woes

SuperBowl Ads!

A few people mentioned the ads in today's daily thread, so I thought I would create this spin-off. What were your favorite ads? Least favorite ads? 

Favorites:
Febreeze
Tide Ad
Alexa (I lost my SHIT - SO FUNNY, except H was terrified because of Anthony Hopkins. But I never saw Silence of the Lambs, so he doesn't bother me lol)

Least Favorites:
Flavored Coke (I'm quirky, but man that was just too bizarre for me)
Dodge/MLK 
Budwater - I mean Budweiser - bragging about their donation when a) you know they spent more on that ad than they did donating water and b) Hi. Flint Michigan? Not on the list but STILL DOESN'T HAVE CLEAN WATER!!!
Dilly Dilly. Don't get it. And the whole dilly dilly thing has me like: 

Re: SuperBowl Ads!

• I loved the Eli Manning/Odell Beckam Jr. Dirty Dancing one! 
    YES!!!! I forgot about that one!! That was hilarious.
  • I commented @ work last week that it's super exciting to me that I'm FINALLY taking it for granted at work that there are drinking fountains.  It's taken me almost a year to re-train myself that drinking founts are for drinking out of.

But that's a whole different conversation.

I did kinda like the dodge vikings ad, but thought the 'go to the website for the full story' and then the website was just a slightly longer version of the same commercial was disappointing (which I only did because the Mr. missed that commercial and wanted tos ee it)
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018

I will probably update my list as people remind me of the commercials, lol.

Favorites:

• Eli Manning/Odell Beckham Dirty Dancing seemed to be a big hit for most people
    • Tide - I liked the snarky poke at the "generic" type of SB commercials/products that are always seen
    • Alexa was already a good commercial and then the final Anthony Hopkins just sent it over the top for funny.
    • Quicken Loans Rocket Mortgage with Keenan Michael Keys.  I'm a fan of his anyway, so I'm a bit biased on that.
    • Doritos/Mt. Dew ad -- I liked the juxtaposition of "fire and ice" with actors who are usually on the more serious side lyp-synching to rap songs.

Least Favorites:

• I actually like the Bud "Dilly Dilly" campaign, but the SB one was the least funny in the series.  Disappointed with it.
    • The Voice -- overall, I actually liked the commercial.  But then, despite their "down home on the farm" theme, the one guy (I think Adam Levine) referred to his horse as a Clydesdale.  Except it wasn't.  Not even close.  And if this gal (me) knows that, despite only being near a horse a handful of times in my life, what is wrong with them, lol.
    • Flavored Diet Coke -- I was actually disturbed by that one.  The woman dancing in it was so painfully thin, wan, and unhealthy looking.  Is that really the message we are trying to get across?  "Drink Diet Coke because there is no such thing as too thin"?  (My words, not theirs).  Some people do just run really thin.  I get it.  But if that were my friend, I'd want to be sure she didn't have an eating disorder or undiagnosed hyperthyroidism or another serious medical issue. 

On the subject of Flavored Diet Coke, I actually first became aware of this new Coke product on Saturday.  I went grocery shopping and there was a display right at the entrance.  They were also on sale.  I got the Twisted Mango and Black Cherry to try.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Does anyone know if they're available on youtube yet? I didn't seen them in Canada :(
    Yes. Best! Also, I really liked Danny Devito/M&Ms. And the Australia tourism one with Danny McBride and the Hemsworth. 
  • Does anyone know if they're available on youtube yet? I didn't seen them in Canada :(

There are Best/Worst articles on the front pages of both Yahoo and MSN.  I think the ads can be played within the article.  Since I'm at work, I "silently" watched a few I hadn't caught last night, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will probably update my list as people remind me of the commercials, lol.

Favorites:

• Eli Manning/Odell Beckham Dirty Dancing seemed to be a big hit for most people
    • Tide - I liked the snarky poke at the "generic" type of SB commercials/products that are always seen
    • Alexa was already a good commercial and then the final Anthony Hopkins just sent it over the top for funny.
    • Quicken Loans Rocket Mortgage with Keenan Michael Keys.  I'm a fan of his anyway, so I'm a bit biased on that.
    • Doritos/Mt. Dew ad -- I liked the juxtaposition of "fire and ice" with actors who are usually on the more serious side lyp-synching to rap songs.

Least Favorites:

• I actually like the Bud "Dilly Dilly" campaign, but the SB one was the least funny in the series.  Disappointed with it.
    • The Voice -- overall, I actually liked the commercial.  But then, despite their "down home on the farm" theme, the one guy (I think Adam Levine) referred to his horse as a Clydesdale.  Except it wasn't.  Not even close.  And if this gal (me) knows that, despite only being near a horse a handful of times in my life, what is wrong with them, lol.
    • Flavored Diet Coke -- I was actually disturbed by that one.  The woman dancing in it was so painfully thin, wan, and unhealthy looking.  Is that really the message we are trying to get across?  "Drink Diet Coke because there is no such thing as too thin"?  (My words, not theirs).  Some people do just run really thin.  I get it.  But if that were my friend, I'd want to be sure she didn't have an eating disorder or undiagnosed hyperthyroidism or another serious medical issue. 

On the subject of Flavored Diet Coke, I actually first became aware of this new Coke product on Saturday.  I went grocery shopping and there was a display right at the entrance.  They were also on sale.  I got the Twisted Mango and Black Cherry to try.

Re: Doritos/Mt. Dew: I hadn't seen that one last night. I just watched it! Hilarious! 

Re: Diet Coke: Yes! I was alarmed at how painfully thin she was as well. And I am trying to be delicate and not body shame - some people are truly just naturally skinny and struggle to put weight on. 

I'm not sure how I feel about flavored Diet Coke. The last time they did that (vanilla, lime, etc) they just tasted so overly chemically. 
  • I liked the Dirty Dancing one the best. Did anyone else notice that the Eli ads before that kept cutting off - maybe it was intentional, I never paid much attention but it was always like wait that seemed like half an ad. Of course if I try to google it now all I see is the Dirty Dancing one
  • I will probably update my list as people remind me of the commercials, lol.

Favorites:

Least Favorites:

Re: Doritos/Mt. Dew: I hadn't seen that one last night. I just watched it! Hilarious! 

Re: Diet Coke: Yes! I was alarmed at how painfully thin she was as well. And I am trying to be delicate and not body shame - some people are truly just naturally skinny and struggle to put weight on. 

I'm not sure how I feel about flavored Diet Coke. The last time they did that (vanilla, lime, etc) they just tasted so overly chemically. 
    Also on the Diet Coke thing; we know it's super bad for people. Regular calorie pop contributes to obesity in children and a host of health problems, but diet isn't much better. So the whole super-skinny model thing feels weird and misleading. 
  • sparklepants41 said:

I got the 'new feisty cherry' from a thing at work, and it's rather awful.  It's...cherry but spicy on your tongue after?
    Which is why it's not normal cherry?

I wanted to dump it into the garbage disposal after 3 sips. I added rum and finished it, and then was annoyed because it was a way to ruin cheap rum.
  • I'm not huge on coke/pepsi in general, but I like Dr. Pepper - so i do enjoy Cherry Coke/Pepsi.
    Vanilla is also another favourite ... but I definitely agree they are very much a chemical taste lol still love it {it's horrible I know}

Does anyone remember ginger ale when it was flavoured? Canada Dry did a bunch and they were more subtle.
  • GBCK said:
    sparklepants41 said:

I got the 'new feisty cherry' from a thing at work, and it's rather awful.  It's...cherry but spicy on your tongue after?
    Which is why it's not normal cherry?

I wanted to dump it into the garbage disposal after 3 sips. I added rum and finished it, and then was annoyed because it was a way to ruin cheap rum.

Oh no!  I've been curious about it.  When cherry taste is done right, I love it.  But it usually isn't.

As a connoisseur of diet drinks, lol, they can be really hit or miss.  I also have not previously liked the flavored Diet Cokes.  However, I can't help myself, I'm giving the Cherry and the Mango a chance and am hopeful.

Monster makes an Ultra Black that is cherry flavored.  I thought it was a little too cough-syrupesque the first time I tried it, but the flavor grew on me.

I really like their Ultra Sunrise.  It's orange flavored, but not a completely fake orange taste like orange soda.  I love juices, but can't drink them.  So this is my version of orange juice.  It's not close to oj, lol, but it is at least reminiscent because it "sort of" tastes like real oranges. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not huge on coke/pepsi in general, but I like Dr. Pepper - so i do enjoy Cherry Coke/Pepsi.
    Vanilla is also another favourite ... but I definitely agree they are very much a chemical taste lol still love it {it's horrible I know}

Does anyone remember ginger ale when it was flavoured? Canada Dry did a bunch and they were more subtle.
    Canada Dry has a Blackberry which is out of this world.  Great for whiskey ginger ales.

• MRDCle said:
    I'm not huge on coke/pepsi in general, but I like Dr. Pepper - so i do enjoy Cherry Coke/Pepsi.

Canada Dry has a Blackberry which is out of this world.  Great for whiskey ginger ales.

Ooohh, that sounds good!

Diet Dr. Pepper is one of my personal faves for a diet soda. The only thing it is "missing" in comparison to regular Dr. Pepper is that heavy sugar after taste, which I don't care for anyway.  Unfortunately, they badly flail with their cherry taste.  Both for the diet and the reg.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2018
    MRDCle said:
    I'm not huge on coke/pepsi in general, but I like Dr. Pepper - so i do enjoy Cherry Coke/Pepsi.

My coworker drinks the cranberry one and it smells pretty good :)

The ones I saw were from like 2010 I believe

edit:
    It was Canada dry Green Tea and White Tea flavours! {thank you google!}
  • I liked the one with Keenan Michael Keys; I just saw him in Meteor Shower so it was fun seeing him again so soon.  And the Peter Dinklage ad.  The Tide ad was very clever...I like the poking fun at other ads.

H is a huge Giants fan and was disappointed this season, so he was grumbling about them in a commercial instead of...I guess...practicing?  :s

My least favorites are all of the tv and movie promos.
  • Not an ad, but did you see this?  So fucking funny. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcziw7helVg
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Not an ad, but did you see this?  So fucking funny. 

Yes! I watched in Sunday morning, it's hilarious. 
  • mrsconn23 said:

Yes! I watched in Sunday morning, it's wicked hilarious. 
    Fixed it for ya ;)
  • And stop bringing CT into it!  

It cheesed DH off like nothing else when the Pats were renamed to be New England and not Boston.      How arrogant to take over an entire region especially one that borders NY! 
  • mrsconn23 said:

Yes! I watched in Sunday morning, it's wicked hilarious. 
    Fixed it for ya ;)
    Thank you. This just made laugh out loud in my office.
  • banana468 said:
    And stop bringing CT into it!  

It cheesed DH off like nothing else when the Pats were renamed to be New England and not Boston.      How arrogant to take over an entire region especially one that borders NY! 

I have always thought that was weird!  I didn't realize they used to be the Boston Patriots.

I'm too lazy to look for, much less create a meme.  But I just had an idea for one.  A map of the New England states with all of them colored in, except MA.  A thick arrow pointing to the Patriots logo.  With a caption of "We are not with them".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

I have always thought that was weird!  I didn't realize they used to be the Boston Patriots.

I'm too lazy to look for, much less create a meme.  But I just had an idea for one.  A map of the New England states with all of them colored in, except MA.  A thick arrow pointing to the Patriots logo.  With a caption of "We are not with them".

But RI is basically a Boston suburb and ditto for southern NH! ;-) 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Hey! Don't give us RI! We don't want them either! RI is basically New Jersey North! XD 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Hey! Don't give us RI! We don't want them either! RI is basically New Jersey North! XD 
    Pshhh.   New Jersey doesn't know what the eff a bubblah is. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Excuse us, but CT and NY are both providing us a buffer from the Union’s Most Pointless State. 
  • Yes I also see many time on youtube and Search engines(msn etc).