Wedding Woes

WWYD $$ edition- just day dream a bit

What would you do with $10,000 every year for the next 5 years?

Re: WWYD $$ edition- just day dream a bit

• I'm boring so I'd stick it in the bank.

If I didn't have my kid I'd take a kickass vacation or 2 each year. Maybe I could pay someone $5K to watch my kid while I take 1 kickass vacation LOL
  • oh.  wait.  This also makes a difference.  Is this pre or post tax?  Stupid America and stupid taxes.

• I've actually had convos like this with M, so I know what we'd do :)

1 Part put aside for future things - ie; plan a really great trip, Europe? Disney?
    1 Part towards paying off things {debt, house, vehicle}
    1 Part towards putting into house {finish basement, painting, etc} and what's leftover goes towards paying off things

Going forward would be roughly the same. Slight changes would be for changing things towards investments - RESP for kid, retirement for us and I'd likely wanna give some money to my mum just in case.
  • This is post tax.

We will be seeing this from DH's grandma and I was sort of looking for ideas because we are so boring.  Our vacation this year and next is planned and paid for. 

Our plan is sort of:

1: windows and the rest to 529 plans

2-5: Roth IRAs and 529s

• Save most of it. 

But also hire someone to clean our house. 
  • Anything need to be done to the house?  I'd put some into reno myself.  But yeah, travel still stands with me :)

• @charmedpam we redid the kitchen 4 years ago and added on 2 years ago.  Windows and upstairs carpet some day.  The kid bathroom remodel is saved for already.
  • It’d all go into the house fund, but if this was a fantasy world and that was already squared away, my vacation bucket list includes seeing the Northern Lights in one of the Scandinavian countries, and a trip to Macchu Pichu and the Galápagos Islands.
  • It would really depend on the year and what else we have saved.  Ideas are:
    -Invest it in some way (college fund, stocks, etc.)
    -Home improvements (on our list is central air, updating trim around windows, new mantle, take down wood laminate paneling, new kitchen, take down pine paneling in family room, new carpet, new 1st floor bath)
    -Vacation (we would probably only use a portion of it for a vacation)
    -Reduce threshold to replace DH's daily driver vehicle.
  • My van in 6 yrs old, under 50k miles and paid off

DH's car is 6 months old at 0%

We only have a mortgage that's less than 1 yr salary.

• Did DH's grandma care about anything in particular? I'd probably take a bit of it and donate it to some cause she cared about.

With the rest, I'd probably invest it, TBH. I kind of doubt my generatioin is going to see much in the way of Social Security or Medicare and those costs are going to creep up on people. We've already started preparing for it. And hey, if we're wrong, we'll have a super comfortable retirement and will probably be able to afford in home care if/when needed.
    *********************************************************************************

• Set up college funds for my grandchildren.  I have everything I need.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • *sigh* student loans. 

But if those weren’t an issue, I’d put half towards retirement/investments and half towards travel. 

• That would likely go towards travel.  We're fortunate enough that that wouldn't really change our lives, and we don't really need it to make a big change.  Travel is where our savings go now  

• edited February 2018
    levioosa said:
    *sigh* student loans

But if those weren’t an issue, I’d put half towards retirement/investments and half towards travel. 
    THE BANE OF MY FUCKING EXISTENCE!! Idk about the state, but ours have a shitty computer system
  • levioosa said:
    *sigh* student loans

THE BANE OF MY FUCKING EXISTENCE!! Idk about the state, but ours have a shitty computer system
    Yup, ours too. Once the system "lost" all of my loans (for reference we're looking at houses that cost relatively the same as my student loan balance) and they couldn't find them for days. 
  • levioosa said:
    *sigh* student loans

Yup, ours too. Once the system "lost" all of my loans (for reference we're looking at houses that cost relatively the same as my student loan balance) and they couldn't find them for days. 
    I just posted a story about mine recently.
    That's awful! Their system fuck up, we still have to pay. Total b.s!!
  • Interesting question.  Some of my husband's family are in the process of moving to an impressive house in Rancho Mirage.  Not my thing at all.  I am very happy in my suburban neighborhood with beautiful canyon views.  I can't picture myself in that community.  I don't golf, either.

Everyone has different goals and priorities,  One of mine was to raise my own children.  They hired people to raise theirs.  I couldn't have made that sacrifice and be happy with my life.

Travel is wonderful, but many of you ladies will have the opportunity later in life, like we did.  Life is full of changes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would just plop it into vacation fund. 

I would recommend that that you do at least something fun with a small part of it.
  • On a much smaller scale my H talked to his dad last night and he said they're sending us a check for baby B. They buy a lot of stuff for the other grandkids who are local and want to send us some $ for B since he is not local and they don't get to see him but once a year. No idea how much the check will be, I'm guessing like $100 or so but I feel like whatever it is we'll just stick it in his 529 plan. I'd like to do something fun with it but I don't know what. We bought a zoo membership with money from these grandparents for his Christmas and I'm not really sure what other fun thing to get. but I feel like it should be used for something more fun than a 529 plan. 
  • @kvruns are the other memberships?  Our three sets of grandparents cover- zoo, cosi science center, and pool. There's an indoor play place my sister buys punch passes for my kids. 
  • I think your comment was out of line @CMGragain. You made a choice on what you thought was best for YOUR family. It doesn't make it better or worse just different. 
  • @kvruns is there museum memberships that would be useful? A coworker of mine signed up for a membership that covers 2 museums plus a mini petting zoo/farm because it also gives priority placing for summer camps when sign up starts.
  • edited February 2018
    CMGragain said:
    Interesting question.  Some of my husband's family are in the process of moving to an impressive house in Rancho Mirage.  Not my thing at all.  I am very happy in my suburban neighborhood with beautiful canyon views.  I can't picture myself in that community.  I don't golf, either.

Everyone has different goals and priorities,  One of mine was to raise my own children.  They hired people to raise theirs.  I couldn't have made that sacrifice and be happy with my life.

Travel is wonderful, but many of you ladies will have the opportunity later in life, like we did.  Life is full of changes.

SIB and TK ate my post.....

This is just dripping with passive aggressive judgement. Stahhhpppp!

Jesus. Your first post that said "Set up a college fund for my grandchildren. I have everything I need." was great. It was about you and didn't pass judgement on others. And before you say "but I didn't pass judgement on others!" Yes. Yes you did. And if you need someone to explain how, it's hopeless anyway.
    *********************************************************************************

• @6fsn we have a nice Children's museum here but my H is creeped out by them (germs) I do think it will be good in another year or so. I was thinking of maybe a punch pass to an indoor jumping/bounce house place because I'm cheap and hate how expensive it is. We've never gone to one but i think he would like it. We also have a "living history" museum near my house, I think it has activities for slightly older kids but maybe there is something for him although I think it is also overpriced for a membership for what you get for his age.