Wedding Woes

It's...Wednesday!

2»

Re: It's...Wednesday!

• banana468 said:
    I have asked and continue to ask for a cleaning lady as a present.  

We're getting ready to hire someone to mow our lawn this summer - why can't we hire someone to do the inside dirty work? 

FWIW, an online friend on a different board has been hemming and hawing for years about hiring a cleaning service.  Her and her H make a comfortable income, but are frugal.  They both have demanding careers that sometimes have long hours.

They're new parents and the LO arrived a couple months ago.  That was the straw that broke the camel's back and they hired a weekly cleaning service.

She says it is the BEST.THING.EVER.  And they should have done it a long time ago, lol.

My boss hired a lady to come in and do cleaning - especially when she had 2 teens and one preteen in the house {now it's just 1 teen, 1 preteen} and said it made a huge difference.
    She only had the lady do floors, counters/surfaces, guest bathroom and a couple other things {basically joint areas}
  • The first time I hired a cleaning service was shortly after I went back to work post DD. We were spending our weekends cleaning and wanted to be spending time with her! I've had services on and off over the years since. I recently stopped having one because I figured it is just H and me now so I can handle it. Besides the cost, they just weren't doing that great of a job. I do miss having a clean house all at one time though.
  • @holyguacamole79 we may not get to church today.  It's a bit of a relief that it's not a holy day of obligation because my parish offers masses as 9AM and 7PM which is right at the beginning of my work day and at prime witching hour.  TO add to that today I promised DD that I would be in her class for her party. 

It's a guilty feeling but I think if we're instilling the right stuff at home I can at least feel like I'm OK if I don't have the ashes.  Hopefully by next year when I have a 4 yo and an 8 yo a 7 PM Mass may be more manageable. 
  • kvruns said:
    @short+sassy do you have to wait any sort of time before commandeering/selling their stuff or is it assumed yours as of the end of the 5 day notice? 

It depends on the circumstances for where I live, but can also vary widely for different states/cities.

For where I live, once the tenant is gone...whether by of their own free will or the constable kicks them out after an eviction proceeding...their belongings are supposed to be put out on the curb.  Funny enough, for anybody...except the landlord...to retrieve.  After 24 hours, only then can the landlord dispose of/keep items*.

However, in this particular case...per conversation and text messages with the tenants about the move-out (in general)...they told us we could keep or get rid of whatever they left behind.  In fact, they apologized about it.  Plus, they're already out of the state.  We did get a call from the wife yesterday afternoon, they were already many hours away at that point, that she thought she left her driver's license.  My H looked for it while she was on the phone, but didn't see it.  We told her we'd mail that to her if we found it. 

*From what I understand from a Chicago investor on my REI forum, this is a similar process there.  Except in Chicago, they city will immediately start levying fines for stuff on the curb before the 24 hours when she can touch it are up.  She has dozens of rentals, so evictions/move-outs crop up regularly.  Her solution?  She has a few salvage type people on speed dial, lol.  She's worked out an arrangement with them that she'll call them first, but they have to pick up everything and do it asap.

More onerous, ie tenant (not landlord) friendly, places will do crap like force the landlord to move the items into a storage unit.  It's at the tenant's expense after that, but still.  It's a lot of unnecessary work and time for a bunch of mostly worthless stuff that a (usually) deadbeat chose to leave behind.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn said:

I had one when I was single and making good money.  I booked a deep clean after the kitchen remodel.  I'd love to do that again....

I make my kids clean baseboards since they're already down there and they have young knees.

Great!  Send them down my way, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    @short+sassy do you have to wait any sort of time before commandeering/selling their stuff or is it assumed yours as of the end of the 5 day notice? 

It depends on the circumstances for where I live, but can also vary widely for different states/cities.

For where I live, once the tenant is gone...whether by of their own free will or the constable kicks them out after an eviction proceeding...their belongings are supposed to be put out on the curb.  Funny enough, for anybody...except the landlord...to retrieve.  After 24 hours, only then can the landlord dispose of/keep items*.

However, in this particular case...per conversation and text messages with the tenants about the move-out (in general)...they told us we could keep or get rid of whatever they left behind.  In fact, they apologized about it.  Plus, they're already out of the state.  We did get a call from the wife yesterday afternoon, they were already many hours away at that point, that she thought she left her driver's license.  My H looked for it while she was on the phone, but didn't see it.  We told her we'd mail that to her if we found it. 

*From what I understand from a Chicago investor on my REI forum, this is a similar process there.  Except in Chicago, they city will immediately start levying fines for stuff on the curb before the 24 hours when she can touch it are up.  She has dozens of rentals, so evictions/move-outs crop up regularly.  Her solution?  She has a few salvage type people on speed dial, lol.  She's worked out an arrangement with them that she'll call them first, but they have to pick up everything and do it asap.

More onerous, ie tenant (not landlord) friendly, places will do crap like force the landlord to move the items into a storage unit.  It's at the tenant's expense after that, but still.  It's a lot of unnecessary work and time for a bunch of mostly worthless stuff that a (usually) deadbeat chose to leave behind.

Interesting. So if you hadn't had the text messages but wanted the TV, etc you would actually have to put out on the curb? or is it one of those things where it is on the books but wouldn't have a way to enforce it. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    A couple of weeks ago I interviewed for a position and was told that I'd hear something "one way or the other" at the end of last week. I didn't.

Then today I saw that the job was reposted yesterday.

I'm sorry, Jen :(.  That extra sucks.  Sending more good wishes and positive job vibes.
    Thanks. Back at you!
  • Jen - I hope you can find a good job quickly!  These people passing you over don't know what they are missing!

Pam - I use TurboTax Deluxe.  It has all of the itemized deductions to walk through.  One of them was specifically about purchasing an electric car.  The Deluxe version also comes with one State, so we can also file our NJ taxes using it.

Guac & Banana - I went to a noon Mass.  The priest there said that Ash Wednesday is actually the most attended day in the Church.  It was a stat that the Vatican release.  It is actually more attended than Christmas and Easter!  I guess if they include the shorter prayer services in overall attendance, it makes sense.  The other fact was that Valentine's Day and Ash Wednesday last coincided 73 years ago!  The priest said that he only missed it by a few months, but he wasn't even born yet!

S+S - It's nice that your tenants didn't put up a fight and even left you with some decent things.  Sucks to have to clear out the rest and clean/repair though.

• Re: Ash Wednesday I had no exposure to it and really knew nothing about it growing up. In college I remember talking to a girl and she had the ashes on her forehead, except I didn't know that's what it was I just thought she had somehow smeared eye makeup on her forehead.  oops
  • 6fsn said:

I had one when I was single and making good money.  I booked a deep clean after the kitchen remodel.  I'd love to do that again....

I make my kids clean baseboards since they're already down there and they have young knees.

That's a great idea! They're mini also, so not far to go ;)

Currently I just use cloth on a dollar store swiffer and drag along. So far so good.
  • kvruns said:
    Interesting. So if you hadn't had the text messages but wanted the TV, etc you would actually have to put out on the curb? or is it one of those things where it is on the books but wouldn't have a way to enforce it. 

This is actually the first time I've experienced tenants leaving items of any note.  Me, personally.  I would just keep what I wanted and don't think anyone would actually care.  At least where I live, I doubt anyone would enforce it.

I did have an eviction that required a constable visit.  That would be a situation where we would have to put everything on the curb, because the constable stays until that is completed, the tenants are removed, and the locks are changed.  But, unless the tenant was actively picking items up, I'd just have my H take the things we wanted and/or had value.  Legally, my H is not an officer of or have any association with the LLC I own my rentals under.  So he could take whatever he wanted, before the 24 hours.

However, with the one eviction we had that was like that, the tenant had FINALLY removed all their belongings from the unit by the time my H met the constable there.  The constable's office makes an appointment with us after we request their services and then the tenant is served with literally the exact day/time the constable will be there to make them GTFO.

For lots of obvious reasons, I hope this never happens to me.  But the one time I could see packing a tenant's stuff up and getting storage unit is if a tenant passed away.  That way, I could get my unit back to be re-rented and the tenant's estate could figure out what to do with the items and who the rightful heirs are.  I would not want to touch any of that potential legal mess with a 10-foot-pole.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:
    A couple of weeks ago I interviewed for a position and was told that I'd hear something "one way or the other" at the end of last week. I didn't.

A thought just struck me!   I know this isn't what you would want to do long-term but, considering Houston suffered from major flooding a few months ago, there might be amazing sales opportunities right now in car, furniture, or appliance sales.

That happened here in NOLA after Katrina.  Those were items SO many people needed to replace.  And the salespeople were making 6 figure incomes.

Car sales are typically commission-only, but it's often a salary draw for the first couple months.  Furniture sales are typically a small set salary along with great commissions.  I'm not as sure about appliance sales, though usually there is some kind of salary plus commission aspect. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:

A thought just struck me!   I know this isn't what you would want to do long-term but, considering Houston suffered from major flooding a few months ago, there might be amazing sales opportunities right now in car, furniture, or appliance sales.

That happened here in NOLA after Katrina.  Those were items SO many people needed to replace.  And the salespeople were making 6 figure incomes.

Car sales are typically commission-only, but it's often a salary draw for the first couple months.  Furniture sales are typically a small set salary along with great commissions.  I'm not as sure about appliance sales, though usually there is some kind of salary plus commission aspect. 

Thanks @short+sassy
  • I bought K a Bout Betties subscription box.  It's a roller derby specific subscription box.  I screwed up on our anniversary celebration, so I wanted to get something nice that I knew they'd love.  They already know they're getting it, b/c they figured it out.  They're alternating between loving it and fussing about the cost.  But they want it more than they don't.  :smile:  I'll grab a card since the box doesn't ship until the 20th and some conversation hearts from Necco.  I'm slowly getting the romance feels back.

Other than that, SSDD.  
  • kvruns said:

I did have an eviction that required a constable visit.  That would be a situation where we would have to put everything on the curb, because the constable stays until that is completed, the tenants are removed, and the locks are changed.  But, unless the tenant was actively picking items up, I'd just have my H take the things we wanted and/or had value.  Legally, my H is not an officer of or have any association with the LLC I own my rentals under.  So he could take whatever he wanted, before the 24 hours.

that's what I was wondering. If you had to put stuff of value out I'd be calling a friend or family member to come pick it up right after I set it out