Wedding Woes
Options

Oh LW, look up bi-erasure and dump any friend who can't deal. :/

Dear Prudence,

I’m a queer man in my early 20s. I’m primarily interested in other men, but I always figured I was a little bit closer to bisexual than gay. I’ve been with a few women and enjoyed it—it wasn’t a cover while I was closeted or anything—but most of my relationships and sex partners have been men. A few years ago I moved for work, and all of my friends here have only known me to date men. As a result, they’ve come to think of and refer to me as gay. That always seemed fairly close to the mark, so it didn’t feel like a big deal. However, I recently (and unexpectedly) found myself interested in a woman, and it made me stop and think about how I’m perceived here. I think my female friends are a little more comfortable around me in certain contexts because they believe I’m exclusively gay. I have a close circle of friends, many of whom are gay and lesbian, and that shared sense of queerness has generated a particular sense of closeness.

I worry that if I were to date a woman, my friends would feel in some way betrayed. Worse—and I hope that I am simply overthinking it—would be if they felt that I was “pretending” to be gay or queer, particularly the gay male friends I have here. The whole thing has made me feel oddly uncomfortable with myself, and I wonder whether I should have been correcting my friends when they called me gay. I don’t necessarily feel right doing that, since I also don’t feel like I have the right to call myself bisexual when I’m largely attracted to one gender. Should I give up on asking this woman out? Should I change the way I describe myself to others? Am I overthinking everything?
—Queer and Confused

Re: Oh LW, look up bi-erasure and dump any friend who can't deal. :/

• Options
    Tbh, I know a man who I know through his BF and if he didn't mention that he considers himself bi {similar situation to LW} I would have assumed he was just gay.

LW could just reiterate to his friends that he's actually bi and they just jumped to the assumption he was strictly gay.
  • Options
    I think, just a little, LW is overthinking this. You don't have to change the way you describe yourself as long as that feels authentic to you. 

And don't give up on asking this woman out just because some people you know could potentially have thoughts about it. This isn't about them. 
  • Options

So now I'm thinking of the various movie/tv show scenes with a premise where "a female friend thinks her guy friend is gay and changes clothes in front of him while they are chit-chatting".

Back to the letter.  I can't believe this guy is thinking about not asking out a woman he is interested in because he is worried about what is friends will think, smh.  LW, date who you want!  Sure, some of your friends might be confused and ask you.  NBD.  If you feel so inclined, explain in 1-2 sentences that, although you most typically are attracted to men, you have occasionally been attracted to and dated women.

Anyone who has an issue with that is not deserving of your friendship anyway. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He should date whoever he wants, identify however he feels, and give a hearty "fuck all y'all" to anyone who has an issue with it. 
  • Options

So now I'm thinking of the various movie/tv show scenes with a premise where "a female friend thinks her guy friend is gay and changes clothes in front of him while they are chit-chatting".

I believe there's a movie of "Bring it On" {idk which one - I'm thinking one with new cheer team Renegades?} that has that exact situation.