Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

"Processional" opinion

I'm getting married June 9, 2018.  This is our second marriage, but first wedding for both of us.  We are having the ceremony in a meadow on our property in the "back 40".  I have envisioned this as a perfect wedding spot since I moved here 10 years ago.  To get to the ceremony, there is a long path, over a creek, between trees, up a hill to the final AHHH spot.  There will be 3 couples (our kids-3 from each of us) walking and a flower girl on a mini pony then me.  The walk is long, but beautiful.  Would it be okay to have two songs for the processional (each one about 3.5 minutes).  One for the party and one for me and my parents.  The songs I chose are unique and super special to me with perfect words.  Is this too long?  I'm not seeing FH before hand so the first look will be me walking through the woods and making my way up to him.  I picture it as something very special, but will the guests just be thinking "let's get this going so we can party",  Thank you!

Answers

• I had 2 songs, both instrumental, and the DJ just faded the first one out when it was my turn to walk down the aisle.
  • 7 minutes is too long. We you are talking about the processional are you talking about the entire long walk - over the creek, through the trees and up the hill? If so, I would pick a closer spot to start the processional. You can use two songs but fade on into the other as @missJeanLouise did.
  • Do your guests have to walk through the woods to get to your ceremony as well? What if they have mobility issues?
  • You can have two songs, but 7 minutes is too long. I would just use shorter portions of each.

Will your guests be walking on smooth terrain, or is there undergrowth that they will have to pass over on their way from the area entrance to their seats? How far is it from the entrance to their seats? I'd give your guests a heads-up about this.
  • Unless you are having a live marching band, you and your guests will not be able to hear 7 minutes of music, and it will be boring.  (I am a musician.)  Please focus less on your vision and more on your guests' comfort.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • 7 minutes might be too long. If you're not sure, time yourself while you're waiting for something to start and see what it's like to wait silently for that long.

Could you shorten the walk at all? It's not unusual to have two songs, but usually they're shortened and kind of fade in transition. 

Also, be sure that your guests are aware they'll have to cross the lawn, consider a rain plan, and accommodations if you have anyone with mobility issues. 
  • How are you going to hear the music from 7 minutes away over a creek and down a hill and through the woods? No one is going to see you during most of that walk? 
  • I'm getting married June 9, 2018.  This is our second marriage, but first wedding for both of us.  We are having the ceremony in a meadow on our property in the "back 40".  I have envisioned this as a perfect wedding spot since I moved here 10 years ago.  To get to the ceremony, there is a long path, over a creek, between trees, up a hill to the final AHHH spot.  There will be 3 couples (our kids-3 from each of us) walking and a flower girl on a mini pony then me.  The walk is long, but beautiful.  Would it be okay to have two songs for the processional (each one about 3.5 minutes).  One for the party and one for me and my parents.  The songs I chose are unique and super special to me with perfect words.  Is this too long?  I'm not seeing FH before hand so the first look will be me walking through the woods and making my way up to him.  I picture it as something very special, but will the guests just be thinking "let's get this going so we can party",  Thank you!
    A wedding is what happens to get married. You may not have had a fancy ceremony but if you said vows in front of someone to legally get married, you’ve had a wedding. 

A long walk would be a no go for me. Doesn’t matter how nice the spot is, it is not worth getting shoes dirty or getting sweaty. As soon as you have guests, you have to think of their comfort.