Wedding Woes

Sooo...Monday?

How was everyone's weekend?

Mine was good, quiet. H got some work done on his big thigh tattoo and then limped around the rest of the weekend trying not to have to clean or do anything. Sorry, honey. The show must go on.

THE BASEMENT IS DRY. Guy is picking up all the fans and dehumidifiers and shit today and we're good to go. SO RELIEVED.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Sooo...Monday?

• I’m glad the basement dried out! 

I worked all weekend. I’m exhausted today but I still need to be productive. I’m trying to convince SO to go see Black Panther tonight but he’ll probably come home all “I’m tired.” We ended up canceling the ring appointment on Saturday because I picked up a shift. I think I’ve come to the conclusion though that I’ll buy the bands from Robbins Bros and then buy the diamond separately. The more I thought about it, the more I felt like their quality of main diamond was a complete rip off. 

• YAY for dry basements. 

Friday night, DH and I went to Costco.  His dad called and asked if we wanted to go out to dinner.  We met up at one of our fave burger restaurants with FIL, DH's aunt, uncle, cousin, and her BF.  Dinner was excellent as always.  ;)  

Saturday, we went to the local art museum with DefConn, FIL, DH's cousin and her BF.  The kiddo had work.  We're considering membership.  They had their greenhouse open and it's full of orchids and they are beautiful. 

When we left the museum, I got word my former manager who's been in hospice for a month had passed away.  So sad for her young sons, parents, and family.  :( 

After the museum, we went back to FIL's house.  We had dinner, drinks, and played "What do you Meme?" and CAH.   I paced myself and drank waters in between beers. I was just tired yesterday, but not hungover...so win. :)

We got up and did breakfast with the family and then came home.  We pretty much just relaxed the rest of the day yesterday.  
  • Saturday I made the family clean.  Then the last basketball game and hit the batting cages.  Saturday night was movie night.

Sunday soccer practice and I took M2 on her fun day.  We got a night stand at IKEA, went out to lunch, then wandered around Toys R Us.  Finally, we got to the ice rink at 1:30.  We stopped long enough for a soft pretzel and a Zamboni and didn't leave until 4!  While we were gone 6let had baseball tryouts then dinked around getting used to his full lacrosse gear.

We also got word this weekend that DH's aunt passed.  She was battling breast cancer for the second time.  It had spread and was basically untreatable.

• So glad your basement is dry. 

Our weekend was crazy, as usual. Trying to fit 4 days of stuff into 2 just doesn't work. My son's birthday party is on Sunday next, and I'm taking Friday off. It's FI's Reading Week so he's going to clean as much as he can in between working on projects. 
  • I’m sorry for your loss @6fsn

• Oh no, mrsconn & 6, I'm so sorry for your losses.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2018
    @mrsconn23 and @6fsn, I'm very sorry for your losses.

Hurrah for a dry basement.

I had a nice weekend. My brother visited and we spent some time together.

I had a job interview this morning but I'm doubtful about getting an offer. I'm keeping up my job search.
  • Really sorry for your losses 6 and mrsconn. 

Weekend was busy and I'm exhausted. Saturday we saw a house that was okay, and needed a ton of work, but the neighborhood was really cute and we were skeptical about the area before we went to see it, so that was a plus. Sunday we saw 4 houses, one that I loved and wanted to put an offer in on, but H thought the street was too busy. I'm bummed. Then we drove out past a house we had really wanted to see that was further out of the city; I'm less interested than I was, but H wants to see it. The best part was it's near a bar that has the best wings in all of Buffalo, so we ate way too much and it was glorious. 
  • @mrsconn23 and @6fsn, sorry for your all's losses!

Uuuggghhh.  My H and I decided yesterday afternoon that the touch-up paint we were doing on our rental unit wasn't cutting it.  There was just too much and too many damages to the paint and we had these large patches everywhere that we couldn't get to perfectly match the pre-existing paint.  So...we are completely repainting the WHOLE unit (except the kitchen).  I might even take a day off work this week to help.  It will only take us a few days, but still.  That is after already spending the last two weeks doing so much to get it rent ready.

On the bright side, I already had my ad up before we decided on that.  I already have a couple moving to NOLA in mid-March from out of state who want to fill out an application and rent the unit out.  I also have a showing set up on Wed. I spoke to that woman on the phone and there was a good vibe.  I liked their Trulia rental resume.

Also, before I realized how much work was left on that unit, I took a bunch of last-minute mystery shops with large bonuses.  I'm doing THREE when I get off work today and one tomorrow.  I'm feeling really overwhelmed right now, lol.  I just keep telling myself, "I'll get through it.  It's okay.  It's only too much on the plate for a few days."  I will persevere! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875 I took this photo for you. It's some poli sci books that were part of Thomas Jeffersons actual library!  
  • Those are amazing @kimmiinthemitten! Could you see any titles? Thanks for thinking of me, they are so cool!
  • Those are amazing @kimmiinthemitten! Could you see any titles? Thanks for thinking of me, they are so cool!

There are a ton, and they're categorized by subject - the green tags are his actual books, yellow tags indicated books donated to fulfill his collection, and then there were book boxes for what needs to be found.  The amount of green tags are insane!  These were mainly called "Political Science" and then numbered.  But he had a bunch of works by Cicero and Plato, a gazillion bibles (which is funny because he didn't consider himself a Christian), and anthologies on everything!  It's inside the Library of Congress and worth visiting for anyone travelling there soon.
  • So cool @kimmiinthemitten; it's actually been a few years since I was in DC, and I've never done the Library of Congress, but it is going on my to do list. 
  • sorry to hear about that 6 and mrsconn

@kimmiinthemitten that is really cool about the discovery. I did Ancestry DNA for Christmas and had someone contact me because the site was showing we should be like 2nd cousins. Our families grew up in the same area but none of the last names she mentioned sounded familiar and vice versa. She did say her grandpa was adopted from the area and I wonder if there is some connection through that but we couldn't figure it out. 
  • Sorry to hear of your losses MrsConn and 6.

my best friend in the US found out her mom has breast cancer on Friday. They are back at the doctor today to find out more.
    I have been working a gig for the stable the last 2 days and have 2 more days to go. It has been going really well and hope our luck continues.
    I booked my ticket back to America last night. While I am not excited to spend all that money to go to a place I have been before, it will be nice to see my family.
  • I’m sorry for you loss @mrsconn23

•  SITB
    Saturday was our Y's cycle-thon to raise money for our annual campaign. I rode in that. After that I did stuff at home getting ready for our trip then went out to dinner with friends. H was on a church retreat. Sunday was more trip stuff and clearing out the kitchen so our floor can be done.

I was super excited to find a changing table for DD on a FB garage sale site. It looks practically new - from Pottery Barn. Now she has all the furniture she needs for the nursery picked out and just needs to figure out some decor for the walls and stuff. Of course she also needs to decide on equipment and clothing type stuff.

Today I'm finishing up laundry, and we will pack up the car since we are leaving super early tomorrow morning. Have a great week everyone!

• So MIL got me the ancestry and 23 and me kits for Christmas, and I sent them in and said yes to being matched to other users.  LS;DR - I had a phone conversation with my long lost Great Uncle last week!

My moms mom was adopted around the age of 2 and always wanted to know who her biological mother was.  Her adopted mother refused to talk about, and her two sisters (biological to her adopted mom) basically treated her like Cinderella.  We've been searching for her years, and a DNA hit to a man whose name was pronounced the same but spelled differently led us to a man who is my grandmas biological half-brother.  I'm not sure when he learned he had a sister (it was before me though - whew) but he basically thought he'd never find her.

Glad you all had a good time in D.C.

I was not aware that this was an option for the 23 and me kit!  I'm going to pass this info on to my H.  He was put up for adoption when he was around 2.  He has 3 older brothers, but has only been able to find one.  He found his bio-mom also and knows from her that his bio-dad is already passed away.  I don't think she had any knowledge of his bio-dad's ancestry or where those family members were.

It was one of those sad stories where she got married at 16 to an abusive man.  She had one baby after another.  Finally left her H in her mid 20s, without a pot to p**s in.  No skills.  No experience.  Hadn't finished high school.  So she gave all four of her sons up for adoption. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Random question: I just tried to post a comment on a thread, and a message popped up, “Your comment will be posted after it has been approved.” What? Approved by whom? Has anyone else seen that? I’m on mobile. 

• @mrsconn23 & @6fsn I'm so sorry for your losses. 

@missJeanLouise I'm sorry to hear about your friend's mom. 

@kimmiinthemitten I have always wanted to do 23 & me! 

@OliveOilsMom squeeeee! Those pics are so cute! I can't believe she's one already! 

H & I joined a pool & racquet club/gym/spa last week. One of my new year's resolutions is to start taking better care of myself - which I was never great at pre-Babypants, and then since having Babypants I've been even worse about it. I went to the gym twice this weekend, and my new plan is to go on nights when I am not on bedtime duty - so, like, tonight. I'm trying not to do what I have been doing these past 6 months when faced with the prospect of going out and taking some Me Time, which is to talk myself out of it. I think the best way to combat that habit is if I get changed into my gym clothes as soon as Babypants and I get home this evening. 
  • @ShesSoCold Yay dry basement!

@mrsconn23 sorry to hear :(

@6fsn Sorry to hear :(

@Jen4948 Still keeping fingers crossed for you!

@kimmiinthemitten Has she looked into ancestry.com? I heard good things about it. There's a DNA portion of it as well

So I was home Friday. I was sick Thursday night, and then just felt all sorts of awful when I got up. Still not 100% but at least feeling less like "wtf is wrong .... zzzzz"
    Upside is sleeping. Downside is not sleeping at night.

Saturday night we went to a friend's place and omfg ....
    Okay so 2 girls - legit my coMOH's at the wedding - were/are pissy with me. One {B} for not being invited to gender reveal, other {C} for that, plus never inviting her, etc etc.

Anyways, so I know that C comes to the city to see B often. Do I get an invite? No. Do I bitch? Also no. Should I have? Yeh probably.

So the place we went to is B and her bf's place. I played nice. I was polite to B and at the beginning she was kind of hesitant with me HOWEVER C hid in the fucking kitchen all night like a gd child.

I wouldn't have started anything. I would have honestly just be like "Yeh not the time." if anything came up.

I told my mum about it - like I said, she was one of my BFF's - and my mum said she's not surprised this is happening cuz she's seen them a few times hanging out. {her thought was same "why can't they invite you?"} My mum's pretty surprised on how she acted though.

Urg. Drama. Lol

Sunday we were suppose to have plans, but freezing rain kinda cut that out lol I slept for like 2.5hrs during the day and then couldn't sleep at night. Guh.

This morning was a total crap-shoot. We both slept late, then it took forever and we both lost track of time. Barely made the bus lol

Idk if anyone else is having crazy weather, but it's been really nice out {nice break and encourages me to get out and walk}This came across my fb:

Image result for sarah scribbles earth is dying

• @OliveOilsMom What a cutie!!! Lol the facial expressions :') 
  • levioosa said:
    Random question: I just tried to post a comment on a thread, and a message popped up, “Your comment will be posted after it has been approved.” What? Approved by whom? Has anyone else seen that? I’m on mobile. 

That happened to me a couple times last week.  I was on a desktop.  Both times, it was just a delay of 1-2 minutes before my post showed up.

I just chalked it up to more weird, TK glitchiness.  I'm sure no one is reviewing anything.  We're still abandoned by the TK powers that be, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OOM, she's gorgeous!

I got H the 23 & Me for Christmas and we're waiting on the results. He was against sharing any of the info, but I think it might have been fun to see if there were any long lost relatives. Regardless though I'm happy he seems interested since I was worried he wouldn't want to send his DNA to "the man".

• I am coming into work far more pleased with our production team so that's at least some stress off my shoulders.     Now I just get to keep telling the customer that "I want this ready asap" can't happen when the list of what you want is growing in both items and quantities.   Help me help you by giving me itemized lists of anticipated production needs and dates.   You can do this.  I can't! 

• edited February 2018
    @short+sassy  good luck, that's such a sad story! 

It turns out my bio-grandmother was date raped at 14, dropped out of school, worked in a cafeteria until the Depression and then had to give up my grandma when she couldn't find work.  I'm so sad for her, and heartbroken for how much she went through so young, but then her son told me "I'm so proud that my mom loved her so much and tried so hard so young."  Perspective, I guess.

ETA - I'm still waiting for my 23 and Me, this is from ancestry.  I'm excited to compare the two.

@ShesSoCold let me know if you have any surprises.  We were always told we're Native American and my family has strong genes with our olive skin and dark hair.  Nope, not even close.  15% Greek/Italian, 7% Middle Eastern.

• My mum's considered the 23 & Me because her dad isn't her biological dad, so she's always wondered about that part of her life.

So yes @ShesSoCold let us know what you can about it! :)

@kimmiinthemitten how were your results? Did it say health related things also?

• @ShesSoCold let me know if you have any surprises.  We were always told we're Native American and my family has strong genes with our olive skin and dark hair.  Nope, not even close.  15% Greek/Italian, 7% Middle Eastern.

I will! H's will be interesting since his dad's side doesn't entirely know their ancestry. And his mom insists that they're mostly Italian but they don't have a Sunday gravy recipe and they don't even call it gravy so how Italian are you, really?

I might get it for myself too someday. My dad's side of the family has been in Wisconsin for generations and generations but they're apparently 100% German. I find it hard to believe that with all of those people, not ONE hasn't been even a little bit something other than German?

My mom's side sounds pretty straight forward. All four of my great grandparents were immigrants so there's a pretty good chance my mom is 50% Finnish and 50% Italian. But you never know!