Wedding Woes

Snow Day!

The universe knew I needed a break so it sent me a snow day. Universities in Buffalo NEVER close, but miraculously we cancelled today. I'm currently working on non-profit work from home while finally watching Grace & Frankie and drinking too much coffee. It's glorious. Happy Friday everyone!

Re: Snow Day!

• Snow day here as well! My company was supposed to have an offsite strategic planning meeting today but with schools cancelled and travel advisories, we postponed. Watching Tiny House Hunters and WFH is so much nicer. H works at a bank and they postponed opening until 11 am so he's back in bed right now.

We currently have about 8 inches of snow and it's still coming down. The neighbor two houses down has a huge tree that came down due to the snow and wind. Thankfully it didn't hit any houses or cars. I'm worried we're going to have a tree come down, or at least large branches, as we have all walnut trees that are soft and can't handle the weight of the snow. I'm watching the branches bend closer and closer to the ground as the morning goes on.
  • @charlotte989875 Enjoy your lax day! :)

I swear I sleep horribly. It's not even entirely pregnancy related, I'm just not able to get comfortable. Mostly my back, but last night every muscle decided to fight me.
    I'm gonna try to take a bath tonight and see if that'll relax some muscles enough to sleep. I'm just so tired today :(

Weekend plans:

Saturday - unsure. Might go see a coworker and steal her baby stuff and visit, might go to museum. Kinda up in the air.
    If neither happen, I might see about getting the basement dealt with so we can paint soon.

Sunday - M's going to range then possibly picking up some small dressers that friend of ours are giving us. They look in decent condition that we don't have to do anything. Next week I'm going to the mall with a friend, so I may see about new drawer handles if anything. If I don't find anything, I'll prob just paint the knobs. I have a nice silver and light blue I like :)

I'm also gonna try to get some yoga in. I'd like to try and stretch a bit before I'm told not to. Might help the muscles as well ...
  • Side note: celebrated passing my glucose test yesterday by having McChicken from McD's lmao I was having a weird craving for it ;)
  • It is POURING rain here.   I have my phone sitting on the charger just in case the wind knocks down power lines and I need to work using my phone as a hot spot. 

DD had a play last night in school and she was one of the "leads" and was SO CUTE.   She's growing up and it was great to see how hard she worked.  
  • @banana468 aww that's great :) What was the play?
  • @banana468 aww that's great :) What was the play?
    The Biggest Best Snowman!  

Seriously - we're talking 2nd grade 20 minute plays. 
  • I've been thinking about you Knotties to the Northeast, every time I see the headlines talking about the terrible storms/blizzards coming.  Hope you all have the bonus of snow days, without any negative effects from the bad weather.

I'm excited that today is actually going to be fairly mellow, for once.  Fridays are my half days, but I usually over burden myself with errands and/or mystery shops in the afternoon.  But today, my only plans after work are a stop at the bank, then picking up Pho and Banh-mi's for lunch.  I haven't had Pho with beef balls in a long time and have been really craving it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Too Max tithe dentist and now at the library. I hate when the daycare shows up-11 kids 2 adults. The adults treat it like break time and play on their phones. One of them isn't even on the same area. 

Nothing saturday day and just church and lacrosse evaluations Sunday. Dh is gone all next week so I need to get organized. 
  • That sounds adorable, @banana468.  DefConn's 1st grade 'musical' is Wednesday and I cannot wait.  :)   He's been singing the songs from it for the last week and I die a little from the cute each time.  

Morning.  I work this weekend.  Meh.  We're going to my parent's house on Sunday.  I haven't seen my mom in over a month.  She hasn't seen my kids since New Year's.  Oh and we are definitely making a beer run on Sunday, just because we finally can.  :D 

DH and I have been in a weird place the last couple days over a difference of opinion.  It's not a fight, but he's told me point-blank he doesn't understand my feelings and won't listen when I try to explain.  It's exasperating.  We'll get past it, but we just haven't had the time to really discuss it. 
  • banana468 said:
    @banana468 aww that's great :) What was the play?
    The Biggest Best Snowman!  

Seriously - we're talking 2nd grade 20 minute plays. 
    That sounds fun! :D I'm always curious because I only remember being in 1 play that wasn't choir related "three billy goats gruff" I was the smallest billy goat. :')
  • edited March 2018

I've been thinking about you Knotties to the Northeast, every time I see the headlines talking about the terrible storms/blizzards coming.  Hope you all have the bonus of snow days, without any negative effects from the bad weather.

We're good here, no power outage here and it's stopped snowing for the most part. Roads will be open and clear soon. All the fun of the snow day, none of the bad (at least so far). 

• mrsconn23 said:

DH and I have been in a weird place the last couple days over a difference of opinion.  It's not a fight, but he's told me point-blank he doesn't understand my feelings and won't listen when I try to explain.  It's exasperating.  We'll get past it, but we just haven't had the time to really discuss it. 
    We're having a similar thing; we're not really understanding each other's feelings about houses well and what we're looking for and it's super frustrating. He told me he doesn't understand why I feel the way I do, and when I explain he stills says "I don't get it". Annoying. 
  • mrsconn23 said:

We're having a similar thing; we're not really understanding each other's feelings about houses well and what we're looking for and it's super frustrating. He told me he doesn't understand why I feel the way I do, and when I explain he stills says "I don't get it". Annoying. 
    Yes.  Completely. 
  • mrsconn23 said:

Urg we've had that before and it's so frustrating!

Hopefully it can get dealt with before it gets too bad :\
  • Small vent.  Oh, the challenges sometimes.

I have some potential tenants, from OOT, who told me on Monday they want to rent the place when the arrive in NOLA in mid March.  Okay, great.  I sent them the initial application Monday night.

The woman gets back to me yesterday (Thurs.) mid-day and asks me to send the application to her SO.  First warning that these are probably not the most computer literate folks out there, to put it mildly.  But sure, whatever, they don't have to be.  Nor are they prompt, which might not seem like a big deal, but it is actually a little bit of a red flag

I send him the application and 'cc her.  He "replied all" back that he wasn't sure if he did it rite (sic) and to let him know if I got it.  I did not, there was nothing attached, I "replied all" back to that effect.

He sends it again, this time I receive it, but it's missing a bunch of crucial info, smh.  He asks if I received it...twice in the same hour  But didn't "reply all" either time.  She also sends an e-mail asking if I received it, but also didn't "reply all".

So I replied to BOTH of their separate e-mails last night.  She sent me another one this morning, again asking if I'd received it.

FFS, I have now sent THREE e-mails with exactly the same info for the simplest frickin' thing.

And if they don't get me the additional info by at least mid-afternoon, I probably won't be able to get anything back from their references until sometime on Monday.

TBH, I suspect they are going to be a no-go from my end.  She is on "pending" disability.  Translation: she's not collecting disability yet (and may never), nor is she working.  He's been working for his dad for the last 5 years...so that's a dead end to get an idea of how responsible he is as an employee.  And I have a suspicion that the person he is coming to work for is not really a business, but more a "trades" guy who has an employee or two that helps with jobs.  Bottom line, for me, income needs to be 3x the gross rent and VERIFIABLE.

Nothing is necessarily wrong with any of that but, especially after the last tenants "with no job security" debacle, I'm getting a vibe that their income/job situation may not be solid enough for me to feel secure.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy your comments send up red flags for me too.   

Not in business for myself but the standard customer who sends incomplete information, takes time to get back to you but puts pressure on you to work miracles is one who isn't known for being friendly doing business especially when your DNB comes back with insufficient information about payment terms. 

• @short+sassy  Yep. Red flags for me too. I'm guess they aren't very old {guessing mid 30s-early 40s?}, so that kinda surprises me that they're computer illiterate though :\
  • Good luck to everyone in the Northeast in dealing with the snow.

Trying to figure something out in a volunteer group I've been written for for a few years. They decided they wanted to improve their website with SEO techniques. All well and good, except...

The editorial director (used to be me, now it's another person) began sending all these critical emails about low "readability" scores for everyone's articles and chooses to communicate what she wants now in editorial comments rather than up front. She is also not holding the organization's head, who does a lot of the writing, to the same standards. When asked for clarification about what she wants, she throws around a lot of bitching about "we need hierarchy" and "you're resisting the changes." But all I want are clear directions up front about what they want me from me and I'm not getting them!

And the head keeps backing her up.

Kinda hard to "resist" something that's not being communicated to you in a clear, unified, consistent manner.

I've thought a lot about giving up, but the head keeps imploring me to stay on "because they need me." Do they? Doesn't feel like it.
  • @short+sassy  Yep. Red flags for me too. I'm guess they aren't very old {guessing mid 30s-early 40s?}, so that kinda surprises me that they're computer illiterate though :\

Just about.  He's 38 and she's 51.

Thanks to you and @banana468 for your input.  I do sometimes worry that just because I do things a certain way...especially with having a very detail-oriented, advanced MS Office heavy job...that I can be too judgy and tunnel visioned with others.  So, it's nice to see other people's views!  Even if they don't validate mine, though, in this case they do so far, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thanks to you and @banana468 for your input.  I do sometimes worry that just because I do things a certain way...especially with having a very detail-oriented, advanced MS Office heavy job...that I can be too judgy and tunnel visioned with others.  So, it's nice to see other people's views!  Even if they don't validate mine, though, in this case they do so far, lol.

I assume that your application can be filled in by hand? 

If so, this isn't a computer literacy issue if they are not filling that space in.  They're leaving it out out of ignorance or willfully hoping you don't pay attention.  There's also something about putting the additional pressure on you when they're not following the rules.

This is your business, and you need to be in a position to know that you'll be paid.   To be able to live in your home means that they need to assure you that rent will be paid on time.    If they can't do that then they need to find another residence or alternate living arrangements.   

• banana468 said:
    @short+sassy  Yep. Red flags for me too. I'm guess they aren't very old {guessing mid 30s-early 40s?}, so that kinda surprises me that they're computer illiterate though :\

I assume that your application can be filled in by hand? 

If so, this isn't a computer literacy issue if they are not filling that space in.  They're leaving it out out of ignorance or willfully hoping you don't pay attention.  There's also something about putting the additional pressure on you when they're not following the rules.

This is your business, and you need to be in a position to know that you'll be paid.   To be able to live in your home means that they need to assure you that rent will be paid on time.    If they can't do that then they need to find another residence or alternate living arrangements.   

I actually have two applications that serve different purposes.  The initial one is "free" and can be filled in by hand.  I didn't get the impression they were blatantly not filling something in, it just seemed more careless.  For example, they gave me their current landlord's phone number, but not the name.  That info is requested in the same "space", so I could see how it could have been overlooked.  They also gave me the guy's current employer (his dad).  Which is technically what the application requests.  But I had told her over the phone, to make sure they include names/contact info for the NOLA job he is coming to, and they didn't do that.

The first application lets me tentatively approve/deny someone.  It is primarily references and income verification.  Stuff I can check myself with no cost to the applicant.  Assuming tentative approval, then it moves on to a website that specializes in background checks for tenants.  The tenant pays the website directly and I'm provided with the "hard" check stuff that includes a criminal history, credit report, and nationwide eviction report.

I even take the application fees off the first month's rent, assuming people move in and it goes smoothly.  But it's definitely charged, up front, because I don't want to get stuck with those fees if someone changes their mind or lies.

She actually just called me and provided me with their landlord's name.  Which matches the property records.  You'd be surprised that people will sometimes try and scam that, lol.  Like give a "friend's" name and number, instead of the real landlord.  And said that she would have her SO provide all the info for the job he is coming to later this evening when he gets home from work.  She apologized and told me she had told him to include that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG, I am LMAO right now.

I just got a Living Social offer for discounted tickets to the "Bo's Extravaganza: Dukes of Hazard" festival.  Being held at John Schneider's (Bo Duke) 58-acre ranch in Holden, LA. 

A Dukes of Hazard festival.  You just can't make this stuff up, lol.

I don't know, you all.  I might just have to go, lol.  I loved the Dukes of Hazard as a kid.  John Schneider was one of my first crushes.  I wasn't aware he lived in Louisiana.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I just got a Living Social offer for discounted tickets to the "Bo's Extravaganza: Dukes of Hazard" festival.  Being held at John Schneider's (Bo Duke) 58-acre ranch in Holden, LA. 

I don't know, you all.  I might just have to go, lol.  I loved the Dukes of Hazard as a kid.  John Schneider was one of my first crushes.  I wasn't aware he lived in Louisiana.

dukes of hazzard show GIF

• Stay warm, Northeast Knotties! 

@short+sassy red flags for me too. 

We’re staying in our old city for the weekend to go to our favorite haunts. We probably will see a movie tonight. 

dukes of hazzard show GIF

Yeesss!  I looked at the event's website.  It's over a weekend and both days have a "car parade".  Your car has to either look like the General Lee...orange and black with a "01" on the doors...or look like Daisy's Jeep.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  I would definitely need a promise that I could drink at that event, but as long as getting drunk was an option, there's no way I'd miss that redneck-fest!

@charlotte989875 that's what our house/trees looked like this morning.  It's 40 now and all melting.

Have you guys seen the YouTube video where the guy shovels his driveway with a banquet table?  Totally did the sidewalks last night with a baby gate!

@MissKittyDanger Congrats on good news!

@mrsconn23 I hate weirdness like that - hope you guys get through it soon.
  • Happy snow day, NE Knotties! Haha Kimmie, several years ago when we lived in an apartment, we got a ton of snow and with the wind, it was halfway up our door. We dug ourselves out with cookie sheets.

Yeah, S&S, those things are flag-gy to me too.

H and I have nothing this weekend. Not one thing we HAVE to do. Which means that I'll come up with 1,000 things around the house that I'd like done. He needs to stop milking this fresh leg tattoo thing. This not our first rodeo and I'm not buying it.

I'm currently looking at granola bar recipes. Super exciting.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Happy snow day, NE Knotties! Haha Kimmie, several years ago when we lived in an apartment, we got a ton of snow and with the wind, it was halfway up our door. We dug ourselves out with cookie sheets.

Yeah, S&S, those things are flag-gy to me too.

H and I have nothing this weekend. Not one thing we HAVE to do. Which means that I'll come up with 1,000 things around the house that I'd like done. He needs to stop milking this fresh leg tattoo thing. This not our first rodeo and I'm not buying it.

I'm currently looking at granola bar recipes. Super exciting.

M does this with tatts and blood donation. It's like "yeh cool, not comfortable but you're not incompetent" lol
  • Do you guys ever switch deodorants and then spend the next week or two periodically smelling this different perfumey or baby powdery smell and wonder what it is before you realize it's you and you're a dumbass?

Because I just figured this out.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Do you guys ever switch deodorants and then spend the next week or two periodically smelling this different perfumey or baby powdery smell and wonder what it is before you realize it's you and you're a dumbass?

Because I just figured this out.

ALL THE TIME! I stopped changing scents :')

I also do this in the rare time I wear perfume. I sniff my cleavage a lot apparently :|