Snarky Brides

SYTTD Snark

Are people watching the latest season? With hour-long episodes instead of half-hour, and they delve wayyy deeper in the weddings now?

Had to get off my chest snark about two of the latest. 1) The woman who invited her "bridal party" to dress shop for her "elopement" in Paris. They already had a courthouse wedding. She spent seven grand on a gorgeous dress to literally just prance around Paris in- the ceremony being on some random plaza (like you couldn't find a better location in Paris?). Her "elopement" wasn't an actual elopement but a PPD without guests....

Like... what?

2) The Chicago bride, one of those "lifestyle bloggers," who ordered her guests to wear all neutrals because she's basically allergic to color. Um, no. And she was a bridezilla bitch when it started raining and she couldn't have her outdoor ceremony. 
Funny thing was we scoped that venue for our own wedding but didn't choose it. Having her ceremony indoors made literally zero difference considering there are floor-to-ceiling windows with exactly the same view as the outdoor patio. Eye roll. 

Re: SYTTD Snark

• LMAO Is the Chicago bride Carly Cristman? If so, she's actually joking about being allergic to colour {she wears a lot of neutrals} She received a lot of flak about that comment

I follow her on youtube, and I'm curious on why you opted to not go with that venue?
  • Are people watching the latest season? With hour-long episodes instead of half-hour, and they delve wayyy deeper in the weddings now?

Had to get off my chest snark about two of the latest. 1) The woman who invited her "bridal party" to dress shop for her "elopement" in Paris. They already had a courthouse wedding. She spent seven grand on a gorgeous dress to literally just prance around Paris in- the ceremony being on some random plaza (like you couldn't find a better location in Paris?). Her "elopement" wasn't an actual elopement but a PPD without guests....

Like... what?

2) The Chicago bride, one of those "lifestyle bloggers," who ordered her guests to wear all neutrals because she's basically allergic to color. Um, no. And she was a bridezilla bitch when it started raining and she couldn't have her outdoor ceremony. 
    Funny thing was we scoped that venue for our own wedding but didn't choose it. Having her ceremony indoors made literally zero difference considering there are floor-to-ceiling windows with exactly the same view as the outdoor patio. Eye roll. 

Since we ended up with the same venue, I'm curious as to what this other venue is...
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @ShesSoCold

It's the old Hotel 71 on Wacker, just east of State. Forgot what chain it is now, Wyndam? Their top floor and roof deck. They filmed a Batman movie up there too; that space was Bruce Wayne's apartment. 

@MissKittyDanger
    I didn't go with the venue because their minimum spend couldn't be reached with our guest count. Which, we didn't know there was a minimum spend until we toured the place, but hey, the things you learn. And Carly's comment aside, her guests were in neutrals- I think she actually made people adhere to a dress code. Either that or they know her so well they didn't wear color. Let's hope the latter....

• @thisismynickname2 I've never heard of a venue having a minimum! We didn't have a large wedding {80 people including wedding party lol} and I know there was a max at many places we saw.

My guess is the guests know her. I know many weddings I've been to the guests will often go with the wedding colours or neutral
  • @MissKittyDanger Yep! It's common in Chicago at least. My observation was that instead of charging a room rental fee and charging catering and table/chair rentals separately and all that, you get a full service venue with a simple per-head cost. But since Saturday nights are popular and profitable, they'd rather book an event with 100+ people at 180 per head instead of an event with 80 people at 180 per head, so they set a minimum that mathematicly can't be reached without a lot of people in attendance. Minimums were less on Fridays and Sundays, but we wanted a Saturday wedding.  
    The venue we did get had a minimum we could have surpassed if we had 100% attendance, but we ended up short. So to reach the minimum, we added on a dessert bar and late night pizza and an extra hour of bar time. 

• @MissKittyDanger, it is a minimum number of $$ spent not people. Usually a maximum refers to the number of people the a venue can hold. A minimum refers to them money a venue wants to bring in to make a profit.
  • My venue has a guest minimum! It's higher for Saturdays than Fridays or Sundays - I happened to be well above it (guest minimum is 150, maximum is 330, we're inviting 220), so I didn't try to negotiate "hey what if we just spend more money on food / beverage". It's also a very popular venue so I wonder if there's also some image associated with "we want to be seen throwing larger weddings". This was also common in the NY area
  • I never shopped around NOLA for a wedding venue, but I have quite a few times for work Christmas parties.

There was almost always a minimum.  Usually a dollar value, sometimes a guest count.  But I'm strongly assuming the latter was also just a dollar value.

I also found the minimums were very reasonable for the space involved, at least in this area.  I never ran into a dilemma of potentially not meeting the minimum.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We also had a room minimum for the two venues we were deciding between, and like @thisismynickname2 one had such a high minimum that we ruled it out. We did hit it, but the high price point turned us off. We ended up going with a different venue that had a lower minimum, but probably spent more. 
  • We had a minimum too.   I think a lot of places do even if it's not specifically stated as a minimum.   Basically they need to know that they're making money that night.