Wedding Woes

Tuesday

6fsn6fsn member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited March 2018 in Wedding Woes
Dh's flight get some in at 1 Friday. I was hoping to get out for a bit when he gets home. Nope, he has to go to work for an interview. Whomp whomp. 

Nothing much today. Work, sneaking in a run, grocery, and cleaning bathrooms. What do my kids do in there?!

We got family tickets to the crew opener Saturday because the weather looked decent. Now it's getting iffy. I'm just going to be optimistic because we can't unbuy them. 

Re: Tuesday

• Hopefully you aren't out that money, @6fsn.

Yesterday was super productive for me.

typical Monday night:  watch food network, hgtv or tlc...whatever floats my boat.  Sometimes I turn myself over on the bed.
    yesterday: home to clean up the house, do laundry, cook, jump on the treadmill and still get some TV time in!

So my friend is getting married in August.  She has everything booked and the STD's are out.  She told me the other day that her fiance's mom may not make it to an August wedding (cancer). They want to do a legal ceremony with just the parent's so his mom can witness her son get married and still have "the party" later.  Given the circumstances, I'm OK with that but It's out in the middle of nowhere and requires travel and lodging for many MANY people (his whole family for instance).  I just hope she tells everyone they were legally married if they go that route.

• @6fsn Boo to your H's work *side eye* don't they know you deserve a break?
    Fingers crossed for good weather!

@ShesSoCold Agreed.

I had horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE indigestion yesterday. To the point I got sick :( Ended up getting M to pick me up because I just didn't trust the bus and not getting sick again :\ I'm switching from tums to Zantac soon .... I just wanna finish off the few I have before switching so I don't have tums floating around my purse lol

Laundry tonight. I'm washing my teddy bear that's kinda getting thread bare. {haha ...} Vibes he doesn't fall apart in the wash :( Also vibes I can make it to the Teddy Bear Picnic this year to get him fixed up, I believe it's close to my due date so idk if I can. {fyi this bear is 30yrs old ....}
  • @CharmedPam I'm always torn on when I hear about people getting legally married before the date because of an illness. I mean, I understand and I think I'm same as you - as long as other people know ahead of time, I'm sure they'll understand as well.
  • I'm reading (well really listening on Audible) to The Woman in the Window and it's getting so good that I'm trying to find things to do at work that don't require me to think to much (like data entry) so I can listen to it. 

Other than that not much. Finding more houses to see and narrowing down exactly where we want to live and what we want in a house. 
  • Aww, 6, I hope the forecast gets better!

SSC's irrational irritation of the day - "Pitcher". A pitcher is either a baseball player or a jug of fluid. It is not art or a photo of your family. PIC-TURE.

There are a couple of cousins on my mom's side who say this. "That's such a good pit-cher" or "Aw, let's see a pit-cher" No. No for a thousand years. No.

We still haven't named futurebelle and, as unanxious as I've been about it thus far, I'm getting a little worried. We think we have a boy name....and we've kind of narrowed down our girl name list. We haven't shared anything with our families but here's what on our list:

Claire
    Piper
    Lila
    Carolyn

Any thoughts on those? 
    *********************************************************************************

SSC's irrational irritation of the day - "Pitcher". A pitcher is either a baseball player or a jug of fluid. It is not art or a photo of your family. PIC-TURE.

There are a couple of cousins on my mom's side who say this. "That's such a good pit-cher" or "Aw, let's see a pit-cher" No. No for a thousand years. No.

We still haven't named futurebelle and, as unanxious as I've been about it thus far, I'm getting a little worried. We think we have a boy name....and we've kind of narrowed down our girl name list. We haven't shared anything with our families but here's what on our list:

Claire
    Piper
    Lila
    Carolyn

Any thoughts on those? 

Awww I like Carolyn! I feel like there's a lot of Pipers and Lilas around. Not sure if that's good or bad, TBH. I have a somewhat uncommon name (Adrienne) and I never liked that it was "weird".

The only reason I don't like Claire is because Claire was like, #1 asshole in my elementary school. And BIL's GF's name is Claire and I guess she's also an asshole. LOL

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Claire
    Piper
    Lila
    Carolyn

Any thoughts on those? 
    well, I love Piper because of my handle here. Charmed.  Piper rocked on that show :) 
    But all are pretty!

• It's so hard when you know someone with a name who was an asshole or an ex and the name (despite being potentially awesome) as to fall off the list. 

Are there a lot of Lilas and Pipers around? Damnit! I don't want a super common name....like I don't want to pick the "Sarah" or "Ashley" of this generation (no offense to anyone).
    *********************************************************************************

• Chiquita had a Piper in her class a few years ago.  I've seen a Lila or two as well.  

My Irish self is partial to Claire.     

The popular girl names now seem to be anything ending in -lyn.    
  • H's sister is Carolyn and I really like her. I also love Piper and Claire; I have a few friends with Lila's so I think it's fairly common right now?
  • I love the names Claire and Carolyn (I also like Caroline - I know it wasn't a choice). I don't know a lot of Pipers but do know of several Lilas.
  • It's so hard when you know someone with a name who was an asshole or an ex and the name (despite being potentially awesome) as to fall off the list. 

Are there a lot of Lilas and Pipers around? Damnit! I don't want a super common name....like I don't want to pick the "Sarah" or "Ashley" of this generation (no offense to anyone).
    I don't know any Pipers or Lilas (except in my age group). LOL. I know my son has a lot of girls with "Boys" names in his class because I'll use the wrong pronoun and he'll correct me. I know that Ava, Olivia, and Sophia are very popular for girls too. 

• We still haven't named futurebelle and, as unanxious as I've been about it thus far, I'm getting a little worried. We think we have a boy name....and we've kind of narrowed down our girl name list. We haven't shared anything with our families but here's what on our list:

Claire
    Piper
    Lila
    Carolyn

Any thoughts on those? 
    I like the bolded ones :) Different but not really different.

I forget if you posted, do you know what Futurebelle is (boy/girl)? Or are you leaving it as a surprise?
  • I love the name Claire.  I always have and it doesn't seem overly-popular. 

Boo to Mr. 6's work.

I got decent sleep last night after my shitty (literally) night of stomach issues the night before.   

We've been in family counseling with the kiddo for a couple months now and had a really good session this morning.  I hope some productive conversations from this week comes out of it.  Definitely some lightbulb moments going on. ;) 

Right? We're not having kids but I've always loved the name Lindsey. 2/3 of H's ex girlfriends are Lindsays. LOL.

I totally get not wanting "the" name of the time. Like, if you hear of a Karen or a Debbie, you know she's 55-ish right now. Every Jennifer or Sarah is pushing 40. I'd want a name that you can't generalize like that, but also it's super cutesy and sounds weird for an adult.

Because we're 10 year old girls, H and I have picked Kirsi for our non-existent girl. I was telling him about my grandma's Finnish cousin who came to visit Chicago when I was a kid and he LOVED the name.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Forgot to mention, my bff and I are hanging out Friday {super stoked!} and hitting up the mall.

Since we're on time crunch, I'm trying to make a list of things I wanna pick up while at certain stores.

We're stopping at lush, does anyone have a favourite bubble bar or bath bomb? I have some go-tos but I kinda wanna try out some new ones
  • @MissKittyDanger - we don't know if it's a boy or girl and I've been waffling back and forth on what I think the whole pregnancy. 

I also kind of like Austin for a girl, even though I know it's a "boy name". 

• @southernbelle0915 I like Claire and Carolyn. My little cousin (16) is a Carolyn and it has grown with her very nicely. I know a couple ladies named Clara but I like Claire better. 
    Piper, I like but think might be a little trendy, not overly popular though. 
  • @southernbelle0915 I admire you not finding out. I couldn't do it even if I tried. From like the dating ultrasound, I was trying to figure out if I could tell position vs gender :') {then again at 12 week with the 'nub test' hahaha}

Boy names for a girl are always interesting. I know Blake Lively named her oldest daughter James because she enjoyed having a boy name. :)
  • @6fsn, sorry you aren't getting any "me" time like you expected!

@CharmedPam, in general, I'm not an anti-PPD person (though I will inwardly roll my eyes) as long as everyone knows about it.  And I wouldn't even roll my eyes in situations where there is an especially good reason, like a dying immediate family member.

Speaking of rolling my eyes at AW behavior, I was watching the Vet Life over the weekend and Dr. Blue and his wife had a vow renewal in Vegas for their 5-year anniversary.  At first I thought it was going to be more of an anniversary trip with them and their best buddies and a vow renewal would be thrown in.  But no.  It was this big ole production with dozens of guests.  Most/all of whom I'm assuming took flights to be there.  Oh, HELL no.  That is raising the AW flag high, lol.

Super busy day at work.  It's partially my own fault.  I should have been more productive yesterday instead of lollygagging.  I went to Walmart yesterday because I needed to pick up a prescription before it expired today, lol.  I also needed to pick up a few things and somehow managed to escape spending less than $60.  That's a rare Walmart day, lol.  Overall, not much going on.  Same old, same old.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @southernbelle0915 I admire you not finding out. I couldn't do it even if I tried. From like the dating ultrasound, I was trying to figure out if I could tell position vs gender :') {then again at 12 week with the 'nub test' hahaha}

Boy names for a girl are always interesting. I know Blake Lively named her oldest daughter James because she enjoyed having a boy name. :)
    We did DNA testing at 10 weeks (to look at genetic markings/abnormalities)....I literally have an email in my inbox from the lab that says "Click Here" to see baby's sex (or whatever). It's been sitting there since September. At first I was all
    Image result for I cant look gif
    And I'd be lying if I said I didn't still think about opening it. And my doctor's office still uses paper charts (yea....) and there's a post-it note covering that section. Just a post-it note. But damnit, my Type A self has made it this far. I can't peek now. 
    That would drive me bonkers. Good for you! my brother and sister in law are due in May and won't know until the delivery too!

My best friend loved the name Logan.  She was always going to use it no matter the sex. It's a girl. I have to say, I've really warmed up to the idea of Logan as a girl's name.

• @southernbelle0915 Friend of mine due in April is at the same point lol her dr fucked up on gender u/s, so she didn't find out. At first she was beyond pissed, but now she's accepting she'll find out when baby shows up lol {fyi she has 2 girls and thinks this is a boy :)}

Kudos to not moving that post-it. I would have ripped that shit off :')

Right? We're not having kids but I've always loved the name Lindsey. 2/3 of H's ex girlfriends are Lindsays. LOL.

I totally get not wanting "the" name of the time. Like, if you hear of a Karen or a Debbie, you know she's 55-ish right now. Every Jennifer or Sarah is pushing 40. I'd want a name that you can't generalize like that, but also it's super cutesy and sounds weird for an adult.

Because we're 10 year old girls, H and I have picked Kirsi for our non-existent girl. I was telling him about my grandma's Finnish cousin who came to visit Chicago when I was a kid and he LOVED the name.

((Raises hand))

I have to admit, I really dislike the name Piper.  It doesn't help that I knew a "mean girl" in jr. high with that name, but I didn't like it beforehand either.  Super random, but I saw her on tv  20 years later.  Her daughter was in one of those Toddler and Tiara episodes.

Lila is okay, though I like Lily better.

I've always liked the name Carolyn.  It strikes me as being one of those timeless, classic names.

I also like Claire.  I know this is so dumb, but I have a positive association with that name because I'm a big fan of Modern Family and that is the one mom's name.  And her character is awesome, lol.

It is just fascinating to me how the tiniest thing for people can link a positive or negative connotation to a name!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I may have taken my frustrations out on a sales rep for a student online testing service who has emailed three times in one week to get me to "train" on their new service their offering. I'm not signing up for software that gets terrible reviews from students, in the middle of the semester to begin with, but I'm certainly not going to do it after three emails in one week. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2018
    It's so hard when you know someone with a name who was an asshole or an ex and the name (despite being potentially awesome) as to fall off the list. 

I totally get not wanting "the" name of the time. Like, if you hear of a Karen or a Debbie, you know she's 55-ish right now. Every Jennifer or Sara(h) is pushing 40. I'd want a name that you can't generalize like that, but also it's super cutesy and sounds weird for an adult.

Well, I nev...checks calendar...

Fuck.  ;)

At least my sister (who's a Jennifer) is older than me.  
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Here’s the thing- you won’t know a name I sent popular until your kid is a few years old. My parents didn’t pick my name to be one of the millions of girls in the “pushing 40” group. My daughter actually has 3 Sarahs in her class. She’s 6. 

The only name on that list I haven’t heard a million times is Lila. (Which will always make me think of Sweet Valley high). Lila will probably always be correcting people. “No not Lilly”
  • 6fsn said:
    Here’s the thing- you won’t know a name I sent popular until your kid is a few years old. My parents didn’t pick my name to be one of the millions of girls in the “pushing 40” group. My daughter actually has 3 Sarahs in her class. She’s 6. 

The only name on that list I haven’t heard a million times is Lila. (Which will always make me think of Sweet Valley high). Lila will probably always be correcting people. “No not Lilly”
    True. I'm 32 and in a graduating class of about 90 we had 7 Sarah/Sara's. 
  • I may have taken my frustrations out on a sales rep for a student online testing service who has emailed three times in one week to get me to "train" on their new service their offering. I'm not signing up for software that gets terrible reviews from students, in the middle of the semester to begin with, but I'm certainly not going to do it after three emails in one week. 

That's the number one problem that many sales reps fall into.  They are so concerned about selling and what THEY want to sell, that it is almost like they give no consideration to how they are coming across to their potential customer.

My worst experience with a salesperson was a realtor in Miami.  My H and I found ourselves there after Hurricane Katrina.  To say that life was uncertain and in turmoil was putting it mildly.

We wanted a short-term rental, preferably furnished (but not a deal breaker).  We were having a SUPER hard time finding anything short-term.  Then, lo and behold, a REA posted an ad with "short term rentals" literally in the title.

Long story short, he kept trying to sell me a condo?!?!  I felt like I'd entered some alternate reality where English words didn't mean the same thing I thought they did.

He only ever told us about one short-term listing, which was in a sketchy part of town.

I'd already politely told him, in every conversation we had, that we weren't looking to buy.  I called again to tell him the happy news that we'd upped our budget, because my H's work was going to pay our rent for awhile.  Thinking this would open up what was available to us.

And he starts in again about buying a condo, smh.  I finally blew up at him.  I said something like, "Look!  We aren't staying in Miami long-term.  I've even come to despise this place and I would never buy a property here.  I STILL don't even know what happened to where we were living or if I even have ANY POSSESSIONS to go back to!  Do not tell me ONE.MORE.THING about buying a condo."

He then tells me in this snippy tone, "Well, I don't have any short-term rentals right now."  I hung up on him.

Because I can be a petty b**ch, I sent him an e-mail a week later, "So strange you didn't have any short-term rentals, despite your CL ad.  My b/f's coworker and his g/f are currently stuck in the Midwest.  But she still has her RE license in FL.  She found us three great options, from afar, and we just signed the lease for a $1600/month furnished rental in Bal Harbor.  I'm guessing her placement fee was a few hundred dollars for spending maybe 30 minutes of her time on this." 

Wedding Countdown Ticker