Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Very Small Wedding Help

I am having a small wedding. I think we will end up with 25 total guests. It's immediate family, plus one set of grandparents (others declined due to travel/health) and my aunts and uncles plus a few friends (2-6). Only FI parents are coming due to various reasons. Our wedding in on the back patio of an inn followed by a sit-down dinner. I originally planned to just go to the courthouse, but found out later my mom was less than thrilled even though she told me she was OK with the plan. So instead we settled on something very small and intimate. 

The wedding party is only one person for each. Best man is going to be already standing with FI at start. I've already settled on my sister and I walking to the same song. My question is whether others with a small wedding have had a song at the end of the wedding. We honestly are going very simple and short. I'm debating whether afterwards we really need a song to walk back down the "aisle" to or whether we can simply shake hands/hug/greet our guests as husband and wife. Our plan is to use a bluetooth speaker and play from a phone/iPod so having one song is just easier.

Just hoping for thoughts from other who have had (or are planning) a small wedding how you approached your ceremony. Thanks! 

Re: Very Small Wedding Help

• Options
    I am having a small wedding. I think we will end up with 25 total guests. It's immediate family, plus one set of grandparents (others declined due to travel/health) and my aunts and uncles plus a few friends (2-6). Only FI parents are coming due to various reasons. Our wedding in on the back patio of an inn followed by a sit-down dinner. I originally planned to just go to the courthouse, but found out later my mom was less than thrilled even though she told me she was OK with the plan. So instead we settled on something very small and intimate. 

The wedding party is only one person for each. Best man is going to be already standing with FI at start. I've already settled on my sister and I walking to the same song. My question is whether others with a small wedding have had a song at the end of the wedding. We honestly are going very simple and short. I'm debating whether afterwards we really need a song to walk back down the "aisle" to or whether we can simply shake hands/hug/greet our guests as husband and wife. Our plan is to use a bluetooth speaker and play from a phone/iPod so having one song is just easier.

Just hoping for thoughts from other who have had (or are planning) a small wedding how you approached your ceremony. Thanks! 

Thinking back to the small weddings I've attended, I honestly don't remember if any of them had songs for the exit or not.  It's really not a huge issue.  For a ceremony that small, I imagine your aisle isn't that big, so it would be strange to have a song playing for a walk that's maybe 15 yards?

Out of curiosity, though .... you said that your FI's parents are the only ones attending but your mom is the reason why you changed your plans.  Is your mom attending?
  • Options

I had a very similar sounding wedding. We had 30 people, one attendant each. We had no ceremony music at all, processional or recessional. I see no problem with not having recessional music.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    tnstonetnstone member
    First Comment
    edited March 2018
    Yes both my parents are attending. Only FI parents are attending because they live 9-10 hours away and he's not exceptionally close to his family. He didn't want to extend invites to them all and his sister can't come due to vacation issues. The friends that are coming are mostly his and are his family basically. 

I should have been clear that my immediate family, one set of grandparents and aunts and uncles are coming. Only FI parents are coming from his side. 

Thank you all for the input! Helps solidify my decision. I am 59 days out and am trying to embrace what is easiest. I have all my important things so none of this matters really. Maybe it should, but it doesn't. I just don't want someone thinking my wedding was odd because things were done differently. Most of my family has either eloped or had a 150+ person wedding so I've never been to a small one.  
  • Options
    I had a small church wedding.  After the short recessional to the back of the church, we immediately greeted our guests and served cake and punch.  Very easy.  Your plans sound just fine.  No reason to apologize for them.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I had a small wedding and had a guitar player. He played while we walked back down the aisle. I don’t think it is necessary but it does help cue people to transition to the reception. I think your plans sound lovely. 
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    I had a small wedding and had a guitar player. He played while we walked back down the aisle. I don’t think it is necessary but it does help cue people to transition to the reception. I think your plans sound lovely. 

Me too!  I had 35 guests at my wedding.  I personally liked having a bit of music while guests were seated and while I walked toward the ceremony area, though an Ipod set to the song you all are using would be just fine.  I used an Ipod for background music at the reception (same location as ceremony).

I don't think the guitarists played at the end of the ceremony (don't totally remember).  But we didn't get married in a church so, the way the layout was, we didn't have an aisle to walk back down.  We just immediately started greeting our guests, once the ceremony was over.

It's really up to whatever you all want and makes the most sense.  There isn't a wrong answer :).  Music or no music after the ceremony sounds fine for what you all are planning.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to have 30 people tops.  We are having ceremony music, partially because my aunt is a piano player and she offered to do our ceremony music.