Wedding Woes

Tuesday

2»

Re: Tuesday

• I don’t really want kids, but the names I did have picked out since I was pretty young have become those “popular names,” and it’s still kind of sad. I like Claire. And you have waaay more self-control than I do.  I can’t even watch a movie at home without looking at IMDb. 

All of the homework today. Like a depressing amount where I might not sleep tonight. And I have a midterm tomorrow with four papers/presentations due. I might die.

• We picked out DD's name and had never heard of it before - yep you guessed it one of the most popular names that year! You won't know that until it is too late. My parents did that with me too. They were overseas (Dad was military). They picked a name that they knew of no one with that name. In my graduating class of 365 I can think of 6 of us without thinking too hard. So I say just go with what you like, sounds good with your last name and doesn't give you regrettable initials.
  • 6fsn said:
    Here’s the thing- you won’t know a name I sent popular until your kid is a few years old. My parents didn’t pick my name to be one of the millions of girls in the “pushing 40” group. My daughter actually has 3 Sarahs in her class. She’s 6. 

The only name on that list I haven’t heard a million times is Lila. (Which will always make me think of Sweet Valley high). Lila will probably always be correcting people. “No not Lilly”

My mom has sworn to me a number of times that Jennifer was an unusual name, when she named me, lol.  It was the #1 name for girls from  (I think)1970-1990.  To be fair, I was on the early end of it (1973).

The name Jennifer was first brought to the attention of the mainstream with Erich Segal's runaway success "Love Story", published in 1970.  It was brought to film in Dec. of that same year.  Was up for 7 Academy Awards in 1971.

It's a story about two young adults (Oliver and Jennifer "Jenny"), just starting out in life.  They face trials and tribulations.  Start trying to have a baby, only to discover that Jenny is terminally ill with cancer.

One of the final scenes, after Jenny has died, gave us the popular phrase, "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

I was super curious to read the book and watch the movie, once I found out that was the start of my name's popularity.  Despite how much people apparently loved both the book and movie at the time, I thought they were awful, lol.

Quite frankly, both Oliver and Jenny were kind of unlikeable.  They weren't terrible people, but they were both a bit self-centered.  Then, after Jenny was diagnosed, there was suddenly this GREAT LOVE between them that I just wasn't picking up on before.  And then the story becomes really over-the-top maudlin and sappy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We picked out DD's name and had never heard of it before - yep you guessed it one of the most popular names that year! You won't know that until it is too late. My parents did that with me too. They were overseas (Dad was military). They picked a name that they knew of no one with that name. In my graduating class of 365 I can think of 6 of us without thinking too hard. So I say just go with what you like, sounds good with your last name and doesn't give you regrettable initials.

LMAO at this.  So true!

I wonder how many people ended up this way, simply because their parents never noticed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My mom has sworn to me a number of times that Jennifer was an unusual name, when she named me, lol.  It was the #1 name for girls from  (I think)1970-1990.  To be fair, I was on the early end of it (1973).

The name Jennifer was first brought to the attention of the mainstream with Erich Segal's runaway success "Love Story", published in 1970.  It was brought to film in Dec. of that same year.  Was up for 7 Academy Awards in 1971.

It's a story about two young adults (Oliver and Jennifer "Jenny"), just starting out in life.  They face trials and tribulations.  Start trying to have a baby, only to discover that Jenny is terminally ill with cancer.

One of the final scenes, after Jenny has died, gave us the popular phrase, "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

I was super curious to read the book and watch the movie, once I found out that was the start of my name's popularity.  Despite how much people apparently loved both the book and movie at the time, I thought they were awful, lol.

Quite frankly, both Oliver and Jenny were kind of unlikeable.  They weren't terrible people, but they were both a bit self-centered.  Then, after Jenny was diagnosed, there was suddenly this GREAT LOVE between them that I just wasn't picking up on before.  And then the story becomes really over-the-top maudlin and sappy.

I know this movie.  My friend LOVED it, and I only saw it for her. 
    My sister's name is Jennifer.  I always thought Pamela was rare until I started working here and became P4.  Pam 4.  I'm now Pam 3 though, since once left.  P3 (another Charmed reference since we're going there)

• 6fsn said:
    Here’s the thing- you won’t know a name I sent popular until your kid is a few years old. My parents didn’t pick my name to be one of the millions of girls in the “pushing 40” group. My daughter actually has 3 Sarahs in her class. She’s 6. 

The only name on that list I haven’t heard a million times is Lila. (Which will always make me think of Sweet Valley high). Lila will probably always be correcting people. “No not Lilly”
    As a legally named Katie, this happens a lot.
    I remember years ago having an arguement with an older lady about my name because she just couldn't understand it could be a legal name instead of a nickname.
  • Health insurance PSA:
    If you have an HSA account, the IRS just revised the maximum contribution for the family level. It decreased from $6900 to $6850 so if you are set to contribute the max to your HSA for 2018 you will need to revise your HSA withdrawal to reflect the new amount. This doesn't affect someone enrolled in employee-only
  • kvruns said:
    Health insurance PSA:
    If you have an HSA account, the IRS just revised the maximum contribution for the family level. It decreased from $6900 to $6850 so if you are set to contribute the max to your HSA for 2018 you will need to revise your HSA withdrawal to reflect the new amount. This doesn't affect someone enrolled in employee-only

Nice to see the government causing extra hassles and time for HR depts. and employees everywhere...over a whopping $50/year, smh.

Always appreciate my HSA max. going down, while the deductible and OOP Max. on my high ded. insurance plan skyrocket (again) this year//s.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn said:

I'm sorry ladies; my comment was poorly worded. I meant no offense to any Sarahs or Jennifers (or Debbies or Karens) and I over-generalized.

And actually, as a kid, I always wanted one of those names. Carrie or Jenny was my go-to name for dolls and stuff. I'm still not a fan of Adrienne as a name, but I didn't like how I was always the only one. I would have preferred to have been Amanda #4.

Thinking about it, names are like weddings. You'd have to get real bizarre to be truly "unique".

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2018
    My name is Jennifer. My parents chose it because of its popularity, and coupled it with a surname that got me a lot of grief when I was a kid.

@6fsn, I hope you don't lose the money.

I just came back from what was supposed to be a job interview. The recruiters who set it up told me that the people I was supposed to meet with were really excited about me. Except they weren't there and never bothered to cancel the interview. When I got to the office, someone who didn't introduce herself just gave me a blank look and asked if I can reschedule the interview.

I left and called the recruiters, who apologize and are shocked about what happened, reiterating that they talked to these people last night, and these people were "really enthusiastic." They had some fucking way of showing it.
  • Regarding the popular names discussion - Not only did I know a ton of girls growing up with the same first name as me (a name that my parents had no idea how popular it would get) I also knew of not 1, not 2, but 3 other girls with the same first AND last name as me in my school. One of them was even my best friend in elementary and middle school. Another one lived a street over from me growing up. When I got my first adult job, there was an employee at one of our clients who had the same first and last name and I'd get accidentally copied on group emails that were supposed to go to her. I couldn't wait to change my name when I got married. 

Not much going on today. Work has been slow now that clean up from open enrollment is over. @kvruns you reminded me that I need to start notifying my clients of the change in HSA limits for family. That'll be a nice little project to fill my afternoon.
  • Work is crazy, but I'm popping in during my late lunch before getting back to work.

I birthed a Sarah! I like Carolyn best, but I have a great cousin named Carolyn!  I'm not a fan of Piper.  I like Lila and don't know any.  I also like Claire, but know a few.

Growing up my sister had a very good friend named Kate.  That was on her birth certificate, but people always assumed it was Katherine.

• 6fsn said:

I'm sorry ladies; my comment was poorly worded. I meant no offense to any Sarahs or Jennifers (or Debbies or Karens) and I over-generalized.

And actually, as a kid, I always wanted one of those names. Carrie or Jenny was my go-to name for dolls and stuff. I'm still not a fan of Adrienne as a name, but I didn't like how I was always the only one. I would have preferred to have been Amanda #4.

Thinking about it, names are like weddings. You'd have to get real bizarre to be truly "unique".

No offense taken at all!  Whenever I hear someone's name is Jennifer or Jenny (who I haven't met in person), my first thought is always, "Yeah, girl!  Born in the '70s or '80s, amiright?" lol.

@Jen4948, that is horrible :(.  While I wouldn't blame you if you didn't go to another one maybe, if you did, they would feel so bad it would give you an edge?  Hopefully?

I had a couple weird experiences like that when I was looking for a job after Katrina.  Supposedly, companies were desperate for employees.  That was not my experience.

I got called into an interview for the Hyatt at 1PM.  I arrive, only to find out it was some kind of giant cattle call in anticipation of their re-opening.  There were 100+ people there, applying for all kinds of positions.  I waited 2+ hours for my "turn" to talk to an interviewer, smh.  Stupid, I know.  I should have turned around and left as soon as I got there. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy, thanks. Apparently the person I was supposed to meet was out of the office at an appointment of her own that went over time and her phone died. I'm not sure why she couldn't have used a phone at the place she was at, but who knows.

I was recently at a job fair that sounds like the cattle call you were at. I knew it was a job fair going in, but I left early anyway because there were no jobs available that I was qualified for.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @ShesSoCold I wasn't offended at all either. 

@Jen4948. Im sorry. Thats's really shitty. 

No worries on getting our money back bacl. Unless there are lightening we'll be there. We have 2 season seats, 6let gets a freebie for playing in their development academy and the last 2 seats were discoubted. 
  • 6fsn said:

Is bolded your name? If so, it's a lovely name :)
  • 6fsn said:

No worries on getting our money back bacl. Unless there are lightening we'll be there. We have 2 season seats, 6let gets a freebie for playing in their development academy and the last 2 seats were discoubted. 

Okay, thanks. I have a tendency to interpret negative tone in text and I read your "pushing 40" quote as eye-rolley.

Yeah, Jen, that's frustrating as shit. And sucky that you can't really do or say anything about it.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @jen4948 that is ridiculous. If they reschedule the interview will you still go? 
  • 6fsn said:

Yep. LOL my mom thought so (but she didn't name her first daughter Adrienne because it was unisex and mom didn't want her to be confused with boys. Not sure why that no longer mattered when I came along. LOL). The only other female Adrienne I ever knew growing up was the pianist at church (and of course Rocky's wife). She was at least 80. Now I wonder how old people assume I am when they email me.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2018
    Thanks @6fsn, @kvruns and @ShesSoCold.

I don't know if I will interview with them. The recruiter told me that they want to reach out to me directly. I haven't heard from them as yet.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

6fsn said:

Okay, thanks. I have a tendency to interpret negative tone in text and I read your "pushing 40" quote as eye-rolley.

Yeah, Jen, that's frustrating as shit. And sucky that you can't really do or say anything about

Sitb. I wish I was at I'llpiushing 40. I think 43 is going to hit me hard. 

• @ShesSoCold I knew several Adriennes growing up, so if I heard the name I'd assume 30s
  • 6fsn said:

Yep. LOL my mom thought so (but she didn't name her first daughter Adrienne because it was unisex and mom didn't want her to be confused with boys. Not sure why that no longer mattered when I came along. LOL). The only other female Adrienne I ever knew growing up was the pianist at church (and of course Rocky's wife). She was at least 80. Now I wonder how wise people assume I am when they email me.

FTFY ;)