Pre-wedding Parties

Help! Floppy Beach Hats for Bridesmaids - Saying or No Saying on Brim?

Hi! I am planning on getting floppy beach hats for my bridesmaids for my beach bachelorette. I was thinking of adding a saying to the brim, something like "Beach Hair, Don't Care," but I'm wondering if I should just leave the hats without the saying instead?

Re: Help! Floppy Beach Hats for Bridesmaids - Saying or No Saying on Brim?

• amlaw713 said:
    Hi! I am planning on getting floppy beach hats for my bridesmaids for my beach bachelorette. I was thinking of adding a saying to the brim, something like "Beach Hair, Don't Care," but I'm wondering if I should just leave the hats without the saying instead?
    Do they all even wear floppy beach hats normally? I mean, I do, but I don't know any other woman my age who likes them (I'm 30, btw). And I would never want one with something written on it, which would only be seen by people taller than me anyway. You shouldn't expect your friends/family to wear something that's not to their taste just because you're getting married.
  • I love a floppy beach hat but I wouldn’t want a saying on it.
  • I would not wear the hat if it had a saying on it. 
    *********************************************************************************

• If your bridesmaids like the beach, they might like the hats -- if you leave the sayings off.

There is no need to "personalize" wedding party gifts, and many recipients of such gifts find it off-putting.
  • I also love floppy beach hats, but I wouldn't wear one with words on it. I would like this as a gift because it's something I usually forget to pack even though I really like them. I don't think it's a bad thing to buy for your friends; if they don't like or want them you'd probably be able to return them. 
  • If they're the kind of people who would wear hats, then get them but leave the saying off. If you're not sure or they're not hat people (hi, I look absolutely horrible in hats), save the money and use it for drinks or an activity or something.
  • I have a big head and really, really thick hair--hats don't fit me unless they're specifically labeled "XL" or they're men's hats. You'd never know this by just looking at my head, and it's not something I typically broadcast about myself. I love floppy hats, but I'd be so embarrassed to be expected to wear something that doesn't fit me properly. (Same goes for brides who want to gift shoes, robes, pajamas, etc.).