Wedding Woes

Thursday!

I had a glorious day off.  I read for hours, which is something I haven't done in years. I'm reading a book my sister gave me, The Nightingale.  It's so good, but emotionally exhausting.  I was choking up telling my kids to get their shoes on to leave yesterday afternoon because I was at one of the saddest parts (so far). 

I was not expecting to wake up to snow that had stuck.  Also, I guess the snow took *everyone* off guard since I also woke up to several notifications of closed roads and slide-offs.  

DefConn's musical was so darn cute.  And hilarious.  

Tomorrow afternoon is going to be a huge cluster around here.  A police officer was killed in the line of duty and the funeral is happening in my town (down the street from my house) and then the processional goes through town before heading other places and then his final resting place.  They are closing all sorts of roads because they're expecting 500 cops in the processional, plus family, friends, etc.  Of course, this is all to occur when schools are to be let out.  So now they're going to hold the kids until the processional is out of town.  So I have no idea a) how long roads will be closed and b) when my kids will get home from school.  I just hope the kiddo can get to work on time.  I told DH he should try to work from home tomorrow afternoon. 

I'm ready for the weekend. Prudie coming up. ;)

Re: Thursday!

• edited March 2018

Sounds like an awesome day off, mrsconn!

I've got dinner with MIL & step FIL tonight. It'll either be terrible or good. There's never an in between with them. They're on their way to St. Croix for like 8 weeks. They're pushing HARD to help us paint our house, so pressure is on to get it done before they come back and we have a perfectly reasonable excuse for not asking them for help.

ETA: Why do my nails look fine every time I do them at home and then I arrive at work and they look like shit?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm so ready for the weekend. I was at an all day conference yesterday, followed by class. All week I've had a sore throat and apparently overnight it decided to become a full on sickness. All I want to do is sleep, but I have a 10am meeting and night classes. Maybe I can sneak in an afternoon nap at my desk. 

I need Prudie to get me through today!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Dh comes home tomorrow!!!  I'm taking the kids out to dinner tonight then we have a preschool fundraiser. 
  • Feel better @charlotte989875

I have the day off so I have a big list of things to do. I’m not sure how I feel about my midterm last night. It seems like everyone was upset and thought they failed. I feel 50/50 about it. Like maybe I failed....or maybe I did okay. I was annoyed because the teacher left two incorrect previous quiz questions on the test. What do you want me to do with those? They’re still wrong. She had better give us the points or else there’s going to be some problems. 

We might go see Black Panther tonight, and I’m excited. Maybe lunch with a friend if she feels up to it. The weather here doesn’t know what it’s doing. Last week it rained at was 55 during the day. On Monday it was 83 degrees. Now it’s back to being cloudy and cool. It’s throwing me off. 

• levioosa said:
    Feel better @charlotte989875

I have the day off so I have a big list of things to do. I’m not sure how I feel about my midterm last night. It seems like everyone was upset and thought they failed. I feel 50/50 about it. Like maybe I failed....or maybe I did okay. I was annoyed because the teacher left two incorrect previous quiz questions on the test. What do you want me to do with those? They’re still wrong. She had better give us the points or else there’s going to be some problems. 

We might go see Black Panther tonight, and I’m excited. Maybe lunch with a friend if she feels up to it. The weather here doesn’t know what it’s doing. Last week it rained at was 55 during the day. On Monday it was 83 degrees. Now it’s back to being cloudy and cool. It’s throwing me off. 
    I've totally done this (this week in fact) and I always give the students the points back; it's my fault the question is bad, so why penalize the students? I know not every faculty member is like that, and that sucks. I reuse the same exams from semester to semester and I usually try and make corrections when there's a problem, but I'm not always good at it. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    @mrsconn23 when they had the officers funeral here recently they ended up closing the schools. So many parents were pulling heir kids and so many teachers wanted to go they just cancelled. 
  • 6fsn said:
    @mrsconn23 when they had the officers funeral here recently they ended up closing the schools. So many parents were pulling heir kids and so many teachers wanted to go they just cancelled. 
    Same in Buffalo this fall; the schools closed because so many parents and teachers wanted to go and the processional closed too many streets. 
  • 6fsn said:
    I wish they'd do that.  The officer worked in another town, but was a graduate of our school system and his wife works at one of the elementary schools here.  That's why so much of it is focused on our area. 
  • @charlotte989875 I think if it had been an accident, I wouldn’t be so annoyed. But when I asked her about it she was like “yeah, those are on there. We talked about them, remember?” Yes, yes we did, and we concluded they were wrong. So I don’t know if she’s using them as freebies for us or what, but if she wanted to do that, I would have rather had some super lame easy question instead of an incorrect one that stressed everyone out. 

• @mrsconn23, I loved The Nightingale and cried at the end! H just read the news reports about the weather Indiana is having - sorry it is so bad and so glad we aren't there to fight it! It is unusually cold here in SC but I'll take 40 and sunshine over black ice any day of the week! Taking DS2 and his GF to a distillery this afternoon then cooking dinner in tonight. We have been eating way too much the last two weeks! But it's seafood so it's good for you right?
  • Reading for pleasure? What is that?  :D Your day off sounds magical @mrsconn23

*********************************************************************************

• @mrsconn23, yes a nice freebie day sounds wonderful.  I want to get back into reading too.  Infact, we bought a barrel chair JUST for me.  When I sat in it, I was like "I'll start reading again if I can have this chair".  And now we have it (or will on the 10th).  So now I have to start reading.
    @shessocold, at least you attempt doing your own nails.  Not me.  I leave it in the hands of the professionals (see what I did there?)
    @levioosa, I hope those are throw away q's too. how annoying!

Last night, I left work early and I still didn't make it to our condo until 6:15.  That's 1 hour and 45 minutes of drive time.  I don't know if I can do this.  1 hour...1.5 hours is not uncommon for these parts but I'm used to a 10 minute drive to and from work right now!

Then this morning, I was up at 3:30ish, couldn't go back to bed so drove to my house (1 hour with no traffic), worked out and then went to get some labs done.  the women drawing my blood had the lap-band 5 years ago so wanted to stick around and talk after.  I'm like....uh....work....scheudle....running late...hurry up, lady! Tell me your experiences with your own surgery so I can go!

• Reading for pleasure? What is that?  :D Your day off sounds magical @mrsconn23

LOL.  It was definitely the unicorn of days off. 
  • I'm going through everyone's post, but just a quick update - ultrasound was this morning. Normal one since they could see the cervix clearly. No issues she could see, but still need to have OB clear it.

Definitely a biological she because definite no shame this time :') We got a good view of the face - chunky cheeks! Lol I was a chunker but not sure of chubby cheeks. Gonna asked my mum tonight, and gonna ask MIL if M was a chubby cheek newborn {he was 9lbs, I was 7lbs}

I feel little more relieved now. Back still hurts, but I got a brace to help that. Might be reading a bit further along than original date, but not far off {due date june 8th, showing about june 3rd}
  • So, I recently started reading again and I wanted a couple books our library didn't have. So they borrowed them from other libraries.

When H returned the second one, the lady told him that they received the third book he'd requested. He didn't request a third book (actually, we just asked for a book on the Unabomber, not a specific title and they ordered two). They hand him this book he "requested" and it's called "The Hidden Dimension", written in 1966.

We have no idea who or how this book was ordered for him. H is all creeped out by it. I feel like the fact that it's a book about the "cultural concept of space" makes it creepier.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm arguing with a database tech because for some reason the database program we use took away our auto prepending for employees in the "To" and "CC" boxes of our email, which is what I use the most. The person I'm speaking to cannot understand why I need the CC box. I now have to explain proper business email protocol to a database tech supporter...
  • levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 I think if it had been an accident, I wouldn’t be so annoyed. But when I asked her about it she was like “yeah, those are on there. We talked about them, remember?” Yes, yes we did, and we concluded they were wrong. So I don’t know if she’s using them as freebies for us or what, but if she wanted to do that, I would have rather had some super lame easy question instead of an incorrect one that stressed everyone out. 
    Yeah that's obnoxious I'm sorry. My freebie questions are usually "who is the mother of dragons"? or something equally fun.
  • Speaking of reading for fun has anyone read The Woman in the Window? I just finished it and I want to discuss!
  • @charlotte989875, I hope you're better soon.

Today is quiet thus far. I like it better that way.
  • @mrsconn23, yahoo, bonus reading day!  Thanks for posting Prudie.  I forgot it was Prudie day and squee'd when I saw it, lol.

@levioosa, I know you've had a stressful week for school, I hope you did well.

@charlotte989875, Sorry to hear you've gotten sicker this week.  I hope it clears up soon!

@CharmedPam, for some reason, I was thinking you all were keeping both houses and using the condo as a weekend place.  Am I mistaken?  Because, yikes!, that is a tough commute.

SSDD.  I blew up at my medical insurance company the other night.  Prepare for a rant.

So, get this.  They sent me a mailer that is basically a thick piece of paper folded in half.  And, on one of the outsides of the paper...for all the world to see...it said something like:

Diabetes Information

for

Jennifer

The inside was a newsletter format with the most basic of tips/obvious information on taking care of diabetes.  Yeah, whatever, nothing I haven't known for 24+ years.

But what angered me...and I'm still just floored...is the complete lack of privacy that United Healthcare has shown with my medical condition.  WTF is wrong with them?!?!

I mean, I don't even keep it a big secret.  But that doesn't mean I want my mailperson...anyone rooting through my mailbox...a neighbor accidentally getting my mail (which happens 1-2x/month)...to have it shoved in their face.

The first guy I talked to just made it worse.  He didn't even seem to understand why I was upset.  I had to ask him multiple times why something like this isn't against HIPAA.  He finally answered "because it doesn't specifically say I have diabetes."  I argued with him that, while technically true, it would sure be OBVIOUS to ANYONE who saw my mailer that I have diabetes.  WOULDN'T IT?"

Anyway, "all" he could do was remove from that mail list.  I told him that, of course I wanted that, but this needed to be escalated because it was an outrageous practice.  He told me he had no idea who to address that to and I needed to call customer service.  He was just the eHealth newsletter "add/subtract people from the list" guy, smh.

So I called customer service and, for what it was worth (probably nothing), had better results.  The person I spoke to was sympathetic and understood exactly why I was upset.  Apparently she wasn't aware of these newsletters and was appalled also.  She outlined with me the e-mail she was going to send out and to which department heads, emphasizing how upset and violated that I...their customer...had been at my privacy not being kept more secure. 

<<end rant>>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member

Let the crazy schedule begin-

March 25 we have a soccer tournament, a lacrosse game, and gymnastics tryouts.

• Wow, that is some BS, @short+sassy. That is totally a violation of health information. I would barely buy that excuse if they literally sent out that pamphlet to 100% of their prescribers, which I bet they don’t do. 

• @mrsconn23, yahoo, bonus reading day!  Thanks for posting Prudie.  I forgot it was Prudie day and squee'd when I saw it, lol.

@levioosa, I know you've had a stressful week for school, I hope you did well.

@charlotte989875, Sorry to hear you've gotten sicker this week.  I hope it clears up soon!

@CharmedPam, for some reason, I was thinking you all were keeping both houses and using the condo as a weekend place.  Am I mistaken?  Because, yikes!, that is a tough commute.

SSDD.  I blew up at my medical insurance company the other night.  Prepare for a rant.

So, get this.  They sent me a mailer that is basically a thick piece of paper folded in half.  And, on one of the outsides of the paper...for all the world to see...it said something like:

Diabetes Information

for

Jennifer

The inside was a newsletter format with the most basic of tips/obvious information on taking care of diabetes.  Yeah, whatever, nothing I haven't known for 24+ years.

But what angered me...and I'm still just floored...is the complete lack of privacy that United Healthcare has shown with my medical condition.  WTF is wrong with them?!?!

I mean, I don't even keep it a big secret.  But that doesn't mean I want my mailperson...anyone rooting through my mailbox...a neighbor accidentally getting my mail (which happens 1-2x/month)...to have it shoved in their face.

The first guy I talked to just made it worse.  He didn't even seem to understand why I was upset.  I had to ask him multiple times why something like this isn't against HIPAA.  He finally answered "because it doesn't specifically say I have diabetes."  I argued with him that, while technically true, it would sure be OBVIOUS to ANYONE who saw my mailer that I have diabetes.  WOULDN'T IT?"

Anyway, "all" he could do was remove from that mail list.  I told him that, of course I wanted that, but this needed to be escalated because it was an outrageous practice.  He told me he had no idea who to address that to and I needed to call customer service.  He was just the eHealth newsletter "add/subtract people from the list" guy, smh.

So I called customer service and, for what it was worth (probably nothing), had better results.  The person I spoke to was sympathetic and understood exactly why I was upset.  Apparently she wasn't aware of these newsletters and was appalled also.  She outlined with me the e-mail she was going to send out and to which department heads, emphasizing how upset and violated that I...their customer...had been at my privacy not being kept more secure. 

<<end rant>>

It is.  But he stays there while he waits to get called for work (plus he has a lot to do around the condo so it's good he's there anyway) and I wanted to see him last night.  I also wanted to test the commute.  To be fair, I went the long way because el cheapo me wanted to avoid the tolls.  Also, if i went the regular way I'd think rush hour would have put me at that time anyway.  Part of me dreams of selling my home so we can combine all the bills into one and live comfortably.  It's really expensive to run 2 households! But I need to really test out the commute on a daily basis to figure that out.

yeah, that is a huge violation of privacy! You'd think they would invest in envelopes to avoid customers getting mad at that!

• levioosa said:
    Wow, that is some BS, @short+sassy. That is totally a violation of health information. I would barely buy that excuse if they literally sent out that pamphlet to 100% of their prescribers, which I bet they don’t do. 

Thanks!  I know you are in the healthcare industry, so I appreciate you're saying that.

Nobody I spoke to even pretended that they sent it out to all of their members.  And I even made that point to the first jerk guy.  After the "it doesn't specifically say you have diabetes" excuse, I made the point that I've never received one of these newsletter for cancer or heart disease.  Oh!  Probably because I don't have cancer or heart disease.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not sure if I updated, but my mom has been done chemo for a month now.  Her MRI showed NO CANCER!!!!  She is having her double mastectomy done on Monday, so I want to make sure my dad will have lots of easy meals to make for them both. 

yay! great news, OOM! And you're such a great daughter for doing that for them! I seriously wouldn't even think of doing that.

• I keep getting kicked out each time I try and check in, so fingers crossed. 

@mrsconn23 that sounds heavenly. 

@charlotte989875 is that the book where she’s in a train. I did read that one; hated the main character but ended up loving the book. 

@oliveoilsmom that’s amazing news!  Make sure she reads tips from people who have BTDT with a mastectomy. They’re way more helpful than the doctors post surgical instructions. Also, I usually gift a spa shampoo/conditioner/blow dry to my friends for after. They can’t raise their arms to wash their own hair for weeks and  everyone says it’s amazing. 

@short+sassy that’s some BS!  And makes me think rude guy has gotten this call before. 

I’m tired today. We let Rosie sleep with us, which was great until around 2 when she decided she didn’t need more sleep. Hubs and I had another huge fight earlier this week-seriously why is it so hard to text that your meeting is going longer and you’ll be late?  We’ve decided to schedule in us time into his calendar, and tonight at 8:15 is our first attempt. We’ve been good since, but he hasn’t had a change in schedule since either. 

For anyone one who isn’t offended by a child’s first swear words and needs a good laugh should search YouTube for F*cking Chuckie. I die every time. 

Also, legal question. Why does Stormy have to sue Trump to prove it isn’t valid?  Can’t she just ignore it and use that as a defense if they sued her?  I’m so confused, and I don’t really care, we already know he’s a sleaze-but I still am confused. 
  • Kimmi - Thanks for the info!  I will pass along that to my mom and look into the gift card.  She isn't much for a spa, but getting a wash from Haircuttery (her typical place) now and then may help!

As for the Stormi lawsuit, I see this as more of a pre-emptive pass at preventing tRump from suing her if she were to talk.  If she can prove now, that tRump did not lawfully execute the agreement, he can't do anything to her after she starts talking.  He has 30 days to respond.  If he ignores, she can spill all.  If he answers, its basically putting a huge target on his back for campaign finance law and the lawyer who drew it up for ethics.  Really, her lawyer is playing this pretty smoothly.  I'm not a lawyer, only a paralegal who doesn't deal with this type of law, but IMHO she is getting really smart advice.